Oops I bought a big tent - and have no friends

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
Oops I bought an enormous tent. My eBay buy arrived today it's a 14 x 8ft scout patrol tent in fantastic condition with fly and ground sheet. Unfortunately did not consider quite how big this actually is. Anyway can anyone give me some advise on what large reasonably large wood burning stove is available. I had planned to make a gas bottle stove but the flue pipe looks quite expensive and I perhaps don't have the time. Also wonder if I can get a diagonal flu as I assume you cannot come out the top of a ridge tent fitted with a fly sheet. I was planning on take flu out through a fireproof panel installed in a door. Ok got to run as wife gone to supermarket and I need to get tent out of the car and hide it while she is out. Not sure if I can lift the bugger on my own.

Thanks

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
The frontier does look very nice and well priced. They all look to have a vertical flu pipe and I am not sure if the ridge tent with a fly could accommodate this. Any ideas guys. I was going to contact the suppliers and ask them also.

Thanks
Regards Chris

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Also wonder if I can get a diagonal flu as I assume you cannot come out the top of a ridge tent fitted with a fly sheet. I was planning on take flu out through a fireproof panel installed in a door.

I never put a woodburner in my patrol tents although I often thought about it. I reckon your thinking is right; taking the flue out thru' one of the doors is probably the best way. If you have the stove fairly central you can keep the flue (& the heat that comes off it) inside up to just below the apex and have your stove jack and a dogleg in the flue there. You could also use the pole to support the flue.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think flysheets were an option with them. Neither of mine came with flysheets but I had them made to suit and with a 6' overhang at one end. A flysheet really transforms a tent like that, all year round.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
Thanks guys.

I like the idea of making a bracket off the pole near the door to support the flu. I think that I will buy an extra flu section and create a elbow and out through a door panel. Had ants in my pant so just ordered the frontier stove. I will ask the supplier if they have a elbow.

The tent did come with a fly sheet, but this is an extra. All I need now is 7 friends and I'm all set for a winter camp.

Best regards chris

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
T All I need now is 7 friends and I'm all set for a winter camp.

4 people absolute maximum in a tent that size. Even then you'll be tripping up over each other. 1 is unbridled, palatial luxury, 2 is comfortable, 3 is cosy & 4 is crowded but do-able.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Frontier is nice but the flue is short, you will need at least two sections to clear the tent.

I use one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wildo-Mil...8129?pt=UK_Paving_Decking&hash=item1c2576aa51 better made than the Frontier which is lighter construction and this has a bigger fire box. Frontier is quite small to be honest.

http://www.gisurplus.co.uk/shop/product.php/729/swedish-army-wood-burning-stove minimum order of £150 plus vat off them but just buy a jacket or something. I've got one of these for another project but to be honest not even lit it yet, on inspection it looks very good.

Look in the spares catalouge for flue sections of any of the above
http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jetexcustomexhaustparts.php

Thanks guys.

I like the idea of making a bracket off the pole near the door to support the flu. I think that I will buy an extra flu section and create a elbow and out through a door panel. Had ants in my pant so just ordered the frontier stove. I will ask the supplier if they have a elbow.

The tent did come with a fly sheet, but this is an extra. All I need now is 7 friends and I'm all set for a winter camp.

Best regards chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE