oooh, that's wierd! UV LED...why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I bought some Bic style lighters from Poundland some months ago, they all had blue LED lights on the end of them...
Which means when you want to light a cigarette in the dark, assuming you're in some dark place, the light is the wrong end of the lighter pointing away from the cigarette...oh dear:lmao:

funny thing though, I'd not used the lights but used one recently i think a bulb had gone in my out building and suddenly noticed how bright some things appeared in the light, "Day-glow" things seemed very bright, brighter than they should be in blue light.

Well I tried it on some UV reactive beads....guess what they lit up...so I have lighters with UV LEDs.:cool: which is cool...but.
but why are they UV? :confused:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
The UV LED could be used for checking bank notes. A portable note checker, which would always be with you.................That is one suggestion, but not an informed one lol

Edited to add. Do genuine fag packets have any UV sensitive markings?

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
did the lighters have a picture of a marijuana leaf on it? that could be your answer right there, other substances glow under UV.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Or for these new fangled dance halls mabey! whoop whoop!

there called "Disco The Ques" i believe old chap,...something of a rarity in these parts,...

we'll have none of that nonsense around here i tell you,..wot wot

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Two possibilities spring to mind:

1. The LED is producing UV which is converted to visible light be a phosphor (this is how "white" LEDs work).
2. The light produced by the LED is of a wavelength which is close enough to UV to excite whatever florescent dyes have been used.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Maybe its to check that your shoe's are actually on your feet...
as you light a woodbine on the way out the door to the pub!

Hmmm, clever stuff :cool:

TBL.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
seeing as they are from poundland, I would imagine the manufacturers got hold of whatever coulor LED's they could that would produce enough light, for as little money as possible.
you'll probably find the LEDs where supposed to be white but didn't turn out right, so the manufacturers got rid of them for peanuts.
any other effects these LEDs have is likely just a bonus.

or they intended it, in which case I would say checking bank notes is going to be the most likely intention.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Might have to get one..I use a uv light at home for identifying pre 1960 army patches and old paper items like books ect..

Ha!Just remembered clubs with uv lights and all the girls with very strange looking make-up!!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
lol I like the answers!

one other use I just thought of, don't they use a UV or "Black light" to check rooms for stains? perhaps you could check for stains before or after meeting someone.....oh dear that sounds bad...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Maybe its to check that your shoe's are actually on your feet...
as you light a woodbine on the way out the door to the pub!

Hmmm, clever stuff :cool:

TBL.

yep,...cos i aaaalways take me shoes off when i get to the pub?!!

hahahahahaha :) :) :) duuude!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE