One you can eat, the other will kill you...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ok anyone up for the ultimate taste test. I will be seriously impressed if anyone gets this, by just the flower heads, but if nobody does, I will put up the seed heads then the leaves...
Plant no 1....
youaintgoingtotellthisway.jpg

And plant no 2.....
youaintgonnatellthisway.jpg

Any brave folk out there willing to give an answer...
Which one is the edible one....?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
hmmm the bottom one is the poisonous one - Giant Hogweed? but then there a a few in the Apiaceae family that are easily confused...
edit: although Giant Hogweed wouldnt really kill... Tho Poison Hemlock would...

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Well number 1 does look a lot less scary than number 2 - I'm basing this on the stem
size, but for all I know they could be the same plant but at different ages. Those flowers
do look very similar. I'd be totally dead ;-)

Then again the flowers on #2 look very relaxed as if they're having a lovely time wafting
in the breeze whereas the ones on #1 look aloof and unfriendly and perhaps poisonous?

I've got no idea - I also thought there was something a bit hogweedy about them but
I don't know. I'm going to buck the trend and vote #2 as the edible...

Jo (RIP) :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
He he he, I am so giggling here....
It is very hard though, these two look so alike and I proberbly wouldn't get it from just the flower heads...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There are only four poisonous white umbelliefleurs in the UK; Cowbane, Fool's parsley, Hemlock and Hemlock water-dropwort.
The bottom picture seems to show the radiating outer petals of Hogweed, which though toxic doesn't *usually* kill.
However the top one looks like Hemlocks small heads......

:dunno:

Nice thread btw :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
right that's it, I'm never going out again!! ;)

I wouldn't even venture a guess but I'm fascinated to see what the answer is.

BTW all the wrong people have to give me all your kit 'cos you're dead :D

great thread (if somewhat scary)

Cheers,

Alan

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Blimey that's a risk Jon - the suspense might kill us, let alone the fearsome umbellifers.
I think it was a sad day in botany when they changed the umbellifer-aceae (or whatever
the ending is) into something else - Apiaeaceae-eieio.

I rememember playing an argumentative game of Boggle with my friend Roger - who
always won - and while using the dictionary-as-argument-settler we came across the
word "umbelliferous" and noted that the only explanation offered was "bearing umbels".
Always struck me as funny.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As I have never seen either in a bacon sarnie I will say they are both veg and therfor liable to be fatal to a true meat eater.......
Though I will guess that 1 is harmless to veggies and 2 will kill us all in a truely horrid way involving pain and exposed intestines all over the floor!

but I could be wrong

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I'll say I'll eat number 2-because nobody else has-although number 1 looks more tasty (My first thought was pignut but I really have no clue and would be chuffed if I guessed that one ;))

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay here we go - my turn - I'm going for Wild Angelica (top) and Hemlock water-dropwort(bottom)

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE