One Tool............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Why think that you have to have a chop fest to build a shelter, I have, on several occasions, built a shelter, from wood etc, with nothing more than what I can find, using a fire to burn through the thicker logs, even then it was only needed for the ridge log. You don’t need to hack down everything to build a shelter; mostly you just need to apply a bit of time, and a lot of carrying.
If time is a problem then Ok use something sharp to trim to fit branches, but there really is no need to denude half the woodland, just to build a temporary shelter.

Well now, for genuine flexibility I reckon my Wenger 57 would work well

Its nice and meaty compared to a normal SAK

and has a very tidy saw as well

Not "traditional Bushcraft" but the saw would make a very welcome addition for firewood and shelter building. No big weight premium either

Red

nope and for 20 yrs My Victorinox large locker and my large Kukri where my "Bushcraft tools" :rolleyes: till i got edjumukatted :lmao:

i would however lean towards my Kukri as the choice of 1 only
Needs to be correctly sharpened to get the best and a bit of practice helps but its a long time freind and familer tool so we work well

but would be happy if only had the SAK tho (love their saws) keep meaning to try a Wenger large locker :rolleyes:

for only 7 days theres not much you need to cut up if you think about it certainly NOT firewood :rolleyes:

I do like Dave's Bill hook tho but its not that hooked :D just looks like a good tool similer to the Kukri

ATB

Duncan

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Ok, it's the middle of winter, you've built a great big fire using your great big chopper, you've melted your sleeping bag and thermarest, now what do you do? No great loss with the Thermarest since they are a poor choice for winter camping but the sleeping bag is a tough loss. Hopefully you were able to crawl out of it before you caught fire too. ;)

Last edited:

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
In this scenario, why needlesly burn up those calories with chopping?? I would be more worried about carving out that fine notch for the bowdrill.. So, a small scandi, puukko or even better better - an ALU SAK with that handy small saw aboard. The lighter, the better.

I guess that I am starting to get too lazy or old to just chop around whenever the chance arises :)

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I'd take my SFA.

Not because i believe it is head and shoulders above the rest of my collection of sharp things, but I consider it to be well made, sufficienty versatile, and this wojuld be the only real way I'll learn my and its limitations.

It'll be a bit sink or swim, but I'd be forced to learn how to use it properly on a number of tasks, which, at the moment I tend to employ the other sharps on.

Then the next week, I'd try it all again with my Mora or one of the others.

K

keel

I agree with PeterHW, and i think he may have spent as much money as me on the conquest! Not a machete but a large blade knife....is very good

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
In this scenario, why needlesly burn up those calories with chopping?? I would be more worried about carving out that fine notch for the bowdrill.
(my emphasis)

a ferro rod

Don't need a notch or a bow drill for a firesteel...

All things considered, I'd take a JCB backhoe to dig up a medieval broadsword, just in case I ran into any marauding orcs or kobolds, perhaps a dragon might need slaying - although in which case a spear or lance of some sort might be a better bet. Am I allowed a shield?

Decisions... decisions...

Broadsword it is I think... it'd be damned hard work felling a tree, even a sapling, in 7 days with a lance, even from horseback, and as we all know, you have to be able to fell a tree.

Seriously... 7 days? A chunk of flint and something hard to break it with, since I like the sound of Nickliv's "learn to use stuff" argument ;)

Last edited:

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
hatchet or maybe a golok.....it might be sunny on Monday, but it could be snowing by Friday. And how many spoons are you planning to whittle?

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Well now, let's have a think about this. Since you've picked the rest of my kit for me, I'd be happy to take whatever cutting tool you picked for me as well. However, I'd be asking you very nicely indeed if you would let me swap the thermarest for a metal pot, preferably something like a billy with a lid. I think that would be much more important, (given my virtually non-existent skill levels with birch bark containers.)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If there's not enough wood lying on the ground for a debri hut and fire for a week, you are too close to the parking lot. Might as well sleep in the Landy. :lmao:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
hummm. If there is no wood lying on the ground, and the ground is extremely hard, and you can still see the Landy, you're still IN the parking lot. lol

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
I'd take my SFA.

Not because i believe it is head and shoulders above the rest of my collection of sharp things, but I consider it to be well made, sufficienty versatile, and this wojuld be the only real way I'll learn my and its limitations.

It'll be a bit sink or swim, but I'd be forced to learn how to use it properly on a number of tasks, which, at the moment I tend to employ the other sharps on.

Then the next week, I'd try it all again with my Mora or one of the others.

Well said....doing tests like this is the only way to sort out what is best.....

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If there's not enough wood lying on the ground for a debri hut and fire for a week, you are too close to the parking lot. Might as well sleep in the Landy. :lmao:

That's pretty much Britain all over mate. :) Unless you're way up in the Highlands, in which case it's practically all treeless bog...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE