One last fire maybe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
what about the coastline round about your area, rather than woodland? And its probably accessable by bus? Mind you if the buses in your area cost as much as they do here your probably cheaper using the car.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You get `paid` to run a car?

I have to pay for my car just to work. (and I certainly dont get £240 from the work I do, even if you included my motoring expenses.)

I dont think I would get motabilty, Im not physicaly disabled.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
pumbaa wrote

Getting out in the woods is what keeps me sane , if only for 5 minutes before someone else turns up and ruins my euphoria .

Now that I can relate to.

A few weeks back I was walking in the forrestry commision wood locally (spruce/pine), walking quiet and taking the air, just about to pass a bush on the side of the track when I saw a squirrel sitting on a branch at about the height of my shoulders, about 4 feet away, it was totally oblivious to me, I was fascinated, then someone came along walking a dog and the squirell took off. I still wonder how long it would have sat there.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I can totally sympathize with your frustration. While we have quite a few forests to play in here, it is wise to look closely at the laws. People are often surprised to find restrictions that might impinge on the typical "bushcraft" outing here, especially when it comes to cutting trees down. But in the bigger view, I really think this is "half full, half empty" dilemma. There seems little doubt that folks in the UK are able to find enjoyment in the bushcraft arts, even given what I consider (from a colonialist's point of view) some pretty restrictive laws. In fact, I often have to scratch my head at some of the laws over there, especially the laws on knives. BUT, life goes on. There are other places on the planet with far more restrictions, to the point that even the thought of having "hobbies" or "leisure time" do not exist. In other words, it's all relative and you can look at your options either optimistically or pessimistically. Personally I'm a pessimist about the future but an optimist about what I'm going to do tomorrow. ;) I do think that if pessimism about over-restrictive laws is really weighing you down, you should consider working to change those laws. While you may not succeed, you might find some satisfaction in working for something you believe in. There is a saying that you are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Not sure I believe the world is that black and white, but I find it does provide food for thought.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The legal bit can seem a bit of a minefield it's true but don't get yourself too wound up about it.

If I look at my life and livelihood, I am technically placed into legal grey areas almost daily. A copper in the middle of a bad day could have a field day with the contents of my van, especially as I drive into a school.

Laws are tools designed to catch bad people, another tool the police have is discretion and that is designed for not catching the likes of you or me. The trick is to have a little faith in the system, 99.9% of the time it works perfectly. The rest of the time there are checks and balances in place to stop it working badly.

Someone has already suggested going to some of the bush meets / moots and these are an excellent place to get a little bushcraft in. No legal hassles and very often because there are a few people going it is quite easy to arrange lifts or car sharing.

They are also a good way to meet other people and develop a proper perspective through conversation and experience. It's really not as bad as it sometimes sounds. I can't think of a single person on this forum that has really fallen foul of the law more than a slight telling off in a couple of cases. Where is the problem?

I was once told that we can have the things we want in life, or we can cherish the reasons why not........

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Conclusions.

As we are getting into the winter months, I do not have to make any major decisions any time soon, (I don’t/can’t do ‘cold’).

The winter months will give me more time to look for a bit of permission and also to save up money for meets next year.

Carving etc can be practiced in the workshed.

It has been suggested that I find a subject to study up on, (given the subject of this thread, the Law on bushcraft might be a good one to look into :D ), particularly the area I am most worried about, how one Law ‘bleeds into’ another……

……..eg, knife law states that a persons car is a public place, no smoking law states ‘no smoking in an enclosed public place’ therefore, if some clever cop puts them together it is highly likely that a precedent will be set.

Smoking or not doesn’t effect bushcraft but I am sure you can see where I am going with this.

It should be an interesting winter.

Thanks to everyone who contributed/suggested :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE