One grumpy wet cousin...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PTDan

Nov 24, 2012
South wales
Hello all, new to the forum and am loving all the chatter. ( please forgive if my English seems disjointed, i'm welsh ) I thought i'd post an experience on the site, and hopefully get a laugh or maybe some advice ( gladly received advise that is! ). As all mediocre story tellers, it is good to begin at the beginning.

Me and my cousin (whom at first glance wanted to partake in all things busherie:rolleyes: ) set out for a nice 2 miles ish walk to an undisclosed area I stumbled on a few days before. We walked and chatted about typical cousin things, and bush-craft ideas for future trips. So far a cracking start. We arrived at the site and started to clear the area and plan our stay low impact style as naturally intended. Once again we were off to a lovely start, chatting, tarping up, and hanging our DD hammocks (I bought my cousin one for his B day).
I showed him how to get in and out and hang the midges net just right to compensate for weight being put down on the hammock. We had a laugh because I was acting all professional and nearly came bowling out the front entrance like idiot:lmao:.

So then we put an additional tarp up for a sitting area and began work on a small manageable fire with a heat reflective wall, made from dead fallen limbs. Once again we enjoyed each others company for we were always close, in age, and as friends. I showed him my bannock recipe, and later had bacon and potato wrapped in foil. Then through the night it began to rain, first lightly, then in intervals, followed by heavy typical welsh showers.
And from then on, He changed attitude dramatically. I don't know why, but he turned into a miserable sulking kid?! I tried to cheer him up cousin-style, but all fell on deaf ears. I asked him "are you cold??" and he said no with attitude (followed by welsh profanity of the highest degree:eek:) so not knowing how to solve this I called it a night and him an idiot. we climbed in our DD's and fell asleep.

next thing i'm waking to the sound of him swearing again, and can see his tarp frantically bulging up and down. Grumpily I got out and went over to ( at the time, hit him on the head I think!!) see what he was doing. As I pulled under his tarp, before I could open my mouth, he pulled out his BC knife and attacked his hammock/tarp with an upward thrust, which nearly came at my head!!!!!!I couldn't believe it..and as I stepped back I noticed his tarp was slashed, from top to near bottom. He took one look at me and transformed into a six year old, complete with holding head whilst squatting down on the floor. I was so angry at him, we stood there for a minute, saying nothing. (my head felt like a combi boiler). Eventually when I came down, I said "Pack your stuff were going home" and didn't speak until we GOT home. And the next day began drying out the wet kit.

To this day, I don't know what to say to him about it. I tried being calm with him, and to be helpful, but am stumped. I've thought maybe night terrors? Hypothermia? Or could it be hes simply a child throwing his toys??

Has anyone else had a seemingly wonderful outing, turned to a complete nightmare like this?

Thanks for your time/Diolch am eich amser.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wow bit of a tale that.
Without knowing anything about your man no idea. Hope he is ok and its time to choose another bushcraft buddy or go solo !

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
I would find someone else to accompany you on your adventures. your cousin sounds like he may need professional help that just is not normal behaviour.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A tantrum involving damaging or destroying something of importance to the one having a tantrum is not that unusual.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
A very close mate of mine in the past would throw tantrums now and again, not at me personally (it was all an embarrassment) but I do my own thing nowadays, Can't be doin' with all that, my closest mate isn't into anything that involves walking. :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Is there something else going on for him at the moment?
Could it be that the space and peace gave him time to reflect on something difficult that is worrying him?

Best.

Chris.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Find someone else to do your trips with or go solo ,you can do without that kind of thing

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well cant comment on the surly toddler act, but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of people cutting their way out of sleeping bags or bivvy bags in a fit of claustrophobia.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Is there something else going on for him at the moment?
Could it be that the space and peace gave him time to reflect on something difficult that is worrying him?

Best.

Chris.

+ 1

Obviously I don't know the guy, so can't say. If he's a generally all round good guy though it probably indicates a problem so don't just cut ties. If however this is normal behaviour for him I'd walk away. I'd talk about it though so you can figure out which it is.

Thanks for sharing. Ed

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Well cant comment on the surly toddler act, but it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of people cutting their way out of sleeping bags or bivvy bags in a fit of claustrophobia.
Thats happened to me, ripped my way out of a sleeping bag in a panic attack, suffered with claustrophobia ever since. I cant sleep in a mummy bag anymore, i have to have a large bag with loads of room to move.

PTDan

Nov 24, 2012
South wales
That's the thing though. I know he's not claustrophobic, I've spend my childhood with him building dens inside and outside. I haven't cut ties with him, but our relationship has changed from it. Almost like an invisible wall of confusion. I have been soloing since, and whilst its fun, I do miss his company. Perhaps I should ask him point blank. Cheers for your responses .

Trencakey

Nomad
Dec 25, 2012
Cornwall
I watched a guy 'stab' a brand new Vango 5 man tent once because he could'nt stand the way the wind buffeted it (Capel Curig) he then stabbed his lilo and everything he had in the tent.He got in the car and drove off.The tent etc was still there where he'd pitched it 2 days later so I salvaged the tent and cooking equipment.I've never seen a grown man have a tantrum like that before !!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd ask him straight what it was all about, no use having it fester your relationship.
Better to get the air cleared and then carry on.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
His 'emotional tank ' could be full. Is he the sort to keep problems to himself or seemingly be able to shrug problems off?

PTDan

Nov 24, 2012
South wales
It's the strangest thing, perhaps some people have low patience levels and are unable to think clearly from time to time. Can't say he bottles himself tight, because if there's something wrong he usually openly tells me. Unless this time he's playing it close to his chest. At any rate, I'll have to speak to him. That's crazy about the vango tent and the cooking tools by the way.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
My daughter has the patience of a randy rabbit but she wouldn't dream of upsetting anybody, one day, years ago, she asked our youngest lad to go upstairs and get something, before he got to the door she said "ohhhh, I'll get it meself". He wasn't moving fast enough for her. :)

My old mate who I mentioned is just like her, no patience whatsoever but fuseless, not nice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE