Once you experience ultimate truth you can never go back

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 7, 2006
weymouth
Hi everyone,
My name is Lea and I live in the south west, originally from manchester though. Currently work as a maths teacher and recently become more and more 'disillusioned' with modern society - whats the point anymore ;)
I have always loved the outdoor life but used to live out of the back of my car on trips and accumulated a lot of rubbish that now just takes up space in my spare room. I met a girl whos family owns a large farm near bournemouth, with a few small woodlands. Over the last year I have been roughing it more and more and taking less and less (although the weight always gets replaced with more water as there is no source where I go and being the sunny south the rains are not half as common as manchester - goes without saying really).
Most of the skills i have been learning have come directly from this site after inspiration from mears and others so thank you to everyone here.
Ultimately I want to start communal living with a small property and 10 acres or so of land with woodland (this can be cheaper than you realise with a few people). I have joined this and other sites recently to get to know like minded people.
Does anyone do the 10tors as I am involved in this and about to start a new Cadet force school link with the army (they will pay me to go camping while they teach the kids - great!)
Thankyou again people and I look forward to getting more involved on here.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hiya and welcome to the forum. There are quite a few teachers here on BCUK and alot of people currently studying for there PGCE, I'm sure you'll fit right in at home here :D

:)
Ed

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
Build Buy or Restore on UK Living last night - couple found a 99 acre woodland in Wales for 150k sterling !!

They were planning on same - setting up a campsite - but for "wild camping" as they called it.

The place looked great !

Nov 7, 2006
weymouth
wow, thanks for all the welcomes.
I know lots of teachers are like this, especially the ones just training having come from the real world (or rather that thing that we think is the real world - namely business and selling your souls for more money). The only problem is that we are all too scared to talk about it to the other teachers so u just have to talk about it to the kids - i am training so many rebels at teh moment ;)
Didnt see build buy or restore last night but if anyone is looking at the possibilites of communal living/working then have a look a 'diggers and dreamers'. They list lots of these communites in the country. Some are a bit too cliche, but the concept is pooling resources with lots of people (u dont even have to get on, u just have to be able to work together for a common goal) to achieve dreams in your own lifetime. One setup is a huge old stately home with indoor pool gym entertaining rooms, acres of gardens, river etc. The cost of a 2 bed place there is less than a beach hut on bournmouth sea front!
My dream is maybe to start a uk 'brat camp', would be great fun I reckon doing that for 4 months a year and living off the land for the rest.........

Nov 7, 2006
weymouth
cheers, it doesnt start until next year, training for me starts around easter I think. It is some new incentive by the army for schools so I am not even sure if it will get off the ground yet. If you hear anything else about it please let me know.

Nov 7, 2006
weymouth
Oh yeah, does anyone know what i should finish my many birch cups and bowls with as I have tried beeswax, orange wax and allsorts of other waxes and my tea tastes horrible. I have even tried olive oil now after seeing someone use it with a spoon.
Or should i leave them natural?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Rob said:
Hi Lea

Best of luck with your plan, I hope it all comes off. You do start to wonder if you are missing out on something when you live in a box in the middle of a town full of other boxes.

I wish I could meet a girl with a farm and some woodland....lol

Count your blessings Mate, at least Mel is into bushcraft and goes out doing it with you :D

I got my wife to "camp" at a campsite for the first time ever this summer so you're leaps and bounds ahead of me! :lmao:

All the best,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE