Old nails

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
Generally, are nails made from suitable steel to make knives, flint strickers, etc, from? Have a bucket load of old rusty nails and wondered what to do with them...just a trip to the dump?

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have made a few things like fish hooks and barbed spear heads (for fishing) from old nails i find in the fireplace after burning old rafter wood. the ones i use are probably a fairly high carbon steel and if yours are rusted then i doubt they are stainless steel so they will be some kind of carbon steel. they might only be mild steel though.
if you want to properly make a knife then: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/01-TOOL-STEEL..._Supplies_ET?hash=item20af49ec94#ht_500wt_975

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading

I'd say your better off going to http://www.cromwell.co.uk to get O1, its cheaper and you can choose your size. Its listed as ground flat stock > http://www.cromwell.co.uk/category_page/160202

On the nail front, I have seen a few people make basic knives from hammered out nails, not sure how practical they were though as they were very thin.

Last edited:

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I liked the episode where Ray mear's used hawthorn thorns to make fishing hooks and ended up catching flounders with them in the river thames. It was never made clear though wether he released them or not....:lmao:
I would of thought mild steel would be too soft for a fish hook as it would straighten easy under the stress of a decent fish. A masonary nail is tougher steel though, they might be workable

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I agree, masonry nails are the only ones with significant carbon content and a random collection of rusty nails is unlikely to have many masonry nails amongst them. Rusty old nails good for little I am afraid.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Good for adding to vinegar to make a black leather stain ir putting under hydrangias to turn the flowers from pink to blue....can't think of much else legal....

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Good for adding to vinegar to make a black leather stain ir putting under hydrangias to turn the flowers from pink to blue....can't think of much else legal....

that's got me wondering now John! :eek:

If you can fireweld then you could turn them into a knife, assuming that you have some decent steel to put in as well ;)

Not much use really, at least I can't think of anything constructive.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
if you want a small blade put em on a train track let the trains go over them sharpen one side you got yourself a small blade works for me anyways alot less work then trying to pound em down....

Trespass on the railway is a serious offence in this country.

Pounding them flat is a lot easier if you apply heat first :D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL I love that Will hay comedy Oh mr Porter, where Will's watch gets put on the railway track, and it somehow gets run over-by a train. They all rush to the scene, the old guy picks up the remains, puts it to his ear, pauses for a second then says "its stopped":lmao::lmao::lmao: :You_Rock_

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
if you want a small blade put em on a train track let the trains go over them sharpen one side you got yourself a small blade works for me anyways alot less work then trying to pound em down....

Sadly, the actions of the 'Cone People' gave a bad name to those in the UK whom liked to put things on train tracks...

cone-head-drunk-595x397.jpg

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
another thing that makes it suck to live in the UK....guess I shouldn't be to surprised....next thing is will be a crime to get out of bed at all...LOL....

We're in a much smaller country here Bill. If kids see adults trespassing on the tracks they tend to do it, similarly we get them running across level crossings when the barriers are down etc. We also have trains running almost at capacity on every line, so trains can be as often as every 10 minutes (maybe less in places)

Here's one from where I live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFsa3kB5FP8

Train drivers have to report anyone not wearing hi-vis or not properly acknowledging trains etc. This can effectively close the line.

Plus a lot of our lines are electrified, you can get pretty seriously injured if you don't know what you're doing - even without touching a third rail or overhead.

I know this, because I work on the railway...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE