Oilskin tinder pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Generally as I walk along I keep my eyes open for bits and pieces of useful tinder. I am always on the lookout for birch as it is a rare tree…mostly ornamental here and I grab whatever I can get.

Western red cedar bark, cedar splits or some resin soaked fatwood are always nice finds. I frequently find tidbits of bark, cedar, mosses etc stuffed in my coat pockets or camera bag. I have always wanted to have a tinder pouch specifically for these little pieces, so I made one this weekend.

tinderpouchmaking2613rd6.jpg

I started with some Filson oiled shelter cloth, and some 3-ply waxed nylon thread and a antler button. I added a doubled 3-plait braid of the same sewing thread for a wrap closure. A couple of hours of work later and I have a nice water resistant pouch, ready for some stuffing.

tinderpouchstuffed2623oa6.jpg

Not exactly the straightest seams or the most regular stitching but it is never going to split out and should keep all those loose tidbits of tinder out of my pockets and bags.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
And a very nice-looking pouch it is too!!!
As always, I'm jealous of your work, Schwert.
Thanks for sharing.

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE