Oil drum

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Got this oil drum lying around at work and was thinking about maybe starting a wee project with it. Was wondering if anyone's got any suggestions of what to make with it, bearing in mind that I have little skill or experience with this sort of thing before. Was thinking a simple hinged BBQ sort of thing for outside our shed to use in the summer but any suggestions would be appreciated.

ype3u7uj.jpg

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
You can make a burner for making charcoal out of it. Very effective. Ive also used it to make a pig trough for water.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
there are lots of ways that I've seen an oildrum converted into a small charcoal kiln. The two that come to mind are simple with an angle grinder and no other tools :)

The first method (not tried it myself) is to cut a letterbox in the side and stuff your wood in there. Then you either set it alight and when good and hot you roll the drum over and cover any smoking gaps with soil to smother it. Or you treat it as a retort kiln, so fill and roll over into a shallow trench (so you can keep the drum airtight) and then light a bonfire around it, so cooking the wood inside the kiln.

The other method (that I have done) is to cut the top and bottom out (within the tim of the barrel), I cut the hole from the top to be about 3" smaller diameter than the bottom so I could use the piece removed from teh bottom as a lid. Dig a shallow and narrow (brick width/depth) trench in either an I, X or Y shape in the ground and set you drum ontop of it. Fill the drum with wood and place the lid. Then you have a mini kiln that has 2, 3, or 4 chinmnies to adjust the airflow. Using this method (with two air inlets) I normally get about 10kg of charcoal,which is about a wheel barrow full

Other than that, I would say BBQ or a smoker

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Nice they look good, lots of good reviews. I wonder if those parts like the legs could be made at work though, we get bits of scrap metal occasionally and my boss is handy with a welder, something to ponder on methinks, could be useful for the chilly winter.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
30 seconds pounding with a pickaxe and you'll have enough air holes to use it as a nice burn barrel for warming the garden on cold evenings and disposing of waste.

Easy peasy.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
We always had when at my parents place. Dad would use a lump hammer & chisel, make holes around the base, then take off the top the same way, then had a brazier,bbq & rubbish berner all in one, but not at the same time

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE