Oetzi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
The bow used to kill him must have been pretty powerful and/or used a close quarter for the arrow to penetrate the shoulder blade? I am no hunter and was wondering what sort of poundage you would need. Just in case, I am not planning the same dastardly deed on anyone, just interested and curious:D

Matt Mallery

Jun 4, 2007
Even a 20 pound bow can do damage if the arrowhead is sharp enough.

There is an article about this in this month's National Geographic, have not read it yet, but their articles are usually very good.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
The bow used to kill him must have been pretty powerful and/or used a close quarter for the arrow to penetrate the shoulder blade? I am no hunter and was wondering what sort of poundage you would need. Just in case, I am not planning the same dastardly deed on anyone, just interested and curious:D

My 50 lb longbow was putting 1" bradheeads through a pork belly about 4". Amd Jerv managed to embed a stone pioint into the head of the humerus by about 1/2".

My 30lb hickory bow has put a couple of arrows through a steel up&over door (oops). They continued for about another 3 yards. It's a great way to strip feathers.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I saw an experiment done on just how far the murderer was from oetzi.they used a neolithic reproduction bow and arrow of about 50 pounds. They were shooting at a unweighted (as did we, I think this may have been a mistake as lots of energy was dispersed by the movement of the meat) side of pork covered in a goatskin.
They got the same amount of penetration as with oetzi at 30 metres. The DVD said the shot angle was from below. If the muderer was aiming for the heart that would be some pretty damn good shooting.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I would have thought Oetzi's body would have had more inertia than a suspended side of pork, resisting the arrow when he was hit, even if he was a slightly build man? therefore the arrow would have penetrated even more, or the murderer could even have used a lighter weight bow.
(I can't remember how big he was) .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE