Oak Gall Ink again

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oak gall ink, again
Hi folks I've seen the threads on this subject but have some specific questions to those with the knowledge.

Ahving 10 mins to kill at school the wife and I went back to the wizand old oak that I'd picked 9 galls from a week or so back and mainly herself found another 21 of the suckers. They are pretty dried out but i've put them somewhere hot to dry out before getting the mortar and pestle out.

OakGallInk011.jpg

As you can see there is 8 gms at the moment. I have stocks of Copperas and gum arabic and can collect rainwater most days.

Is 8 gms a viable amount to make some ink and if so how much of the other ingrediants should I be using?

Thanks!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Someone was kind enough to send me these proportions

50gms of oak galls
250mls of boiling water
20gms of copperas

with gum arabic added until its the right consistency.

so about 10:50:4 and gum arabic to taste..

Thanks!

PS for about 2 oz of the strained liquid roughly how much gumarabic are we talking about? Just I don't want to add too much to strt with and end up adding water to thin it out.

Tom

PPS to answer my own question, about the same as the copperas

http://dohistory.org/archive/doc039/039_p57_img.html

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just put a ounce of ink into a pot got from a charity shop for 35p after making it overnight.

Ink01.jpg

The colour off the powdered galls was so strong I saved the grounds, added more boiling water and am letting them ferment for a month to see if i can get a second lot out of it.

ATB

Tom

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Theres a video on youtube showing how to do the same with acorns. you need alot more acorns but they are also alot easier to find.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE