Oak ELB in the making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Buckshot said:
Any idea why it failed?

Nothin' obvious. Perhaps too much strain outer third at early tiller stage weakend the limb. The wood was fine. Just went bang...Made me jump somewhat :D

Thursday evening will see it reduced in length, re-tillered and emerging like a phoenix from the bits.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
stovie said:
No sign of set.........BUT.........it just went BANG :Wow:

Oh well, I'll just have to reduce the length from the other limb, re-tiller and give it to Jr....then start on the next one :D

I'm guessing here, but probably why oak never really made it into the top ten as a bow wood?

Burnt Ash

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Grrrr my rawhide backed oak flat bow just went kaboom :( My own fault for making the handle too narrow.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Snufkin said:
Grrrr my rawhide backed oak flat bow just went kaboom :( My own fault for making the handle too narrow.

Oh No! This is turning into the broken bow thread....From what you say snufkin, it gave way at the fades?? Or through the handle?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
stovie said:
Oh No! This is turning into the broken bow thread....From what you say snufkin, it gave way at the fades?? Or through the handle?
It gave at the fades, near one end of the splice. Such is life eh?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE