Oak ELB in the making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
So this is the stave as I started to tiller this evening...

DSCF4139copy.jpg

After 2 hours of humming and harring and a pile of shavings, this is where I'm leaving it tonite.

DSCF4142copy.jpg

The beginings of an even tiller and 5" of movement on the long string. A little stiff mid to outer limbs...but that's for another day...

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Nice, looks like you're going for a slightly working handle there.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Getting there. Looking at it, a little more off the handle and it's just about ready to try out...

DSCF4477copy.jpg

Braced

DSCF4480copy.jpg

It's still pulling around the 65# mark at 26", so at final draw of 28" and after final sanding an shooting should stay around there. Not quite the 80# I would have liked, but fairly decent non the less...Plenty more wood where that came from :D

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
hey your on paleo planet too nice bow i know a bowyer who was serving abroard used to make bows then go hunting ever thought of goin abroad to hunt ,probly better value for money just payin the english fines oops sorry did i really say that :banghead: :lmao:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Woods Wanderer said:
hey your on paleo planet too nice bow i know a bowyer who was serving abroard used to make bows then go hunting ever thought of goin abroad to hunt ,probly better value for money just payin the english fines oops sorry did i really say that :banghead: :lmao:

Not had the opportunity to shoot abroad. But on that subject, how easy/difficult is it to get a bow and arrows through customs, not to mention onto an aircraft....??? Is there a ban on such things?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Woods Wanderer
Just making sure.
Your comment was, of course, a joke wasn't it. We don't condone breaking the law at all of this site - especially when armed.

Stovie.
I'm guesing transporting on a plane would be similar to firearms.
Declare your intentions when booking at the travel agent. Pack it in your hold luggage and declare again when you book in and you should be OK.
Make sure the country you're going to allow bows otherwise you could have problems picking them up at the other end...

Mark

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Buckshot said:
Stovie.
I'm guesing transporting on a plane would be similar to firearms.
Declare your intentions when booking at the travel agent. Pack it in your hold luggage and declare again when you book in and you should be OK.
Make sure the country you're going to allow bows otherwise you could have problems picking them up at the other end...

Mark

You're probably right Mark. I have Italy in mind, but as yet have no idea what the hunting laws are over there. But of more interest to me is making a bow while over there, perhaps from Olive, so I will need to find out if transporting it back will be a problem.

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
definatly was a joke dont want bows to get bad press can you imagine the papers would love it 'Armor piercing bows caperbal of killing elefants owned by anyone!' then id have to get a licence for my bow! :eek:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Woods Wanderer said:
definatly was a joke dont want bows to get bad press can you imagine the papers would love it 'Armor piercing bows caperbal of killing elefants owned by anyone!' then id have to get a licence for my bow! :eek:
That's fine WW.
Just wanted to make sure ;) :)

Stovie,
The biggest problem I can see would be the transporting of the natural flora and fauna. Some countries have strict rules - although I'd have thought in the EU it shouldn't be too much of a problem :confused:
Worth checking though. It'd be a shame to do all the work on a bow only to have to break it up infront of the customs chaps because you can't take it out of the country.

Mark

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
stovie said:
You're probably right Mark. I have Italy in mind, but as yet have no idea what the hunting laws are over there. But of more interest to me is making a bow while over there, perhaps from Olive, so I will need to find out if transporting it back will be a problem.
Don't quote me but I think you can bowhunt in Italy, no idea about the licensing or paperwork involved but I think Alberto, who used to post on paleoplanet said on a thread it was legal.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Also, nice bow. That's a pretty high poundage for an oak elb, any sign of set?

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Snufkin said:

Thanks for the info on the possibility of bow hunting in Italy. I will get round to asking the question on PP soon.

As for set, all there is at the moment is 1/2" after pulling it to 26" 50-60 times...I'll be happy to get away with1 1/2" when it's finished, braced and shot a few hundred arras....well, have to field test it before I give it to my brother-in-law...wouldn't want it to blow up on himnow, would I :D

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Snufkin said:

No sign of set.........BUT.........it just went BANG :Wow:

DSCF4544copy.jpg

Oh well, I'll just have to reduce the length from the other limb, re-tiller and give it to Jr....then start on the next one :D

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
stovie said:
No sign of set.........BUT.........it just went BANG :Wow:

DSCF4544copy.jpg

Oh well, I'll just have to reduce the length from the other limb, re-tiller and give it to Jr....then start on the next one :D

Nah, bit of Duct tape and it'll be as right as rain ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE