NOW SORTED THANKS .22 blank firing revolver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
As in the title really.
My son is in an amateur theatrical production which calls for the firing of a small revolver.
They are (aren't they all?) pretty broke and can't afford the stage replica versions I've seen on the web for nearly 2 or 300 quid.
I was unaware that the law had changed & the expensive ones are now seemingly the only ones around.
If anyone has an old one lying around in reasonable i.e.. safe condition please let me know.
I have loads to swap inc sharps fixed & folding, Crusader set in pouch, rucksacks, climbing & camping kit etc.
Cheers, Simon

Last edited:

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
SWMBO has one for dog training, I'm sure it was less than £20?

She uses it most weekends otherwise your lad could borrow it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Just not loud enough!
The drapes, curtains & scenery just kill the sound totally.
Even the Red plastic ring caps sound very feeble.
Its not a purpose-built theatre , just a school hall so the acoustics are pants & sound system is rudimentary to say the least!
Not the end of the world if they do have to fake it but will be better if it is loud enough.
I did consider just painting one of the orange ones black but I'm told it is an offence to do so.
They are exempt from the having to have orange gun but it's the price that is just crazy for a tiny outfit like them.
Thought I'd give it a try here first.
Thanks, Simon

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Companies like THIS one will hire weaponry for stage shows. Please remember that people can still be hurt with black firing weapons. Though a basic safety brief should see them right.

ATB,
GB.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just not loud enough!
The drapes, curtains & scenery just kill the sound totally.
Even the Red plastic ring caps sound very feeble.
Its not a purpose-built theatre , just a school hall so the acoustics are pants & sound system is rudimentary to say the least!
Not the end of the world if they do have to fake it but will be better if it is loud enough.
I did consider just painting one of the orange ones black but I'm told it is an offence to do so.
They are exempt from the having to have orange gun but it's the price that is just crazy for a tiny outfit like them.
Thought I'd give it a try here first.
Thanks, Simon

Just mic up the cap gun with a radio mic and amp the thing up to 11.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Radio Mike? If only...
if they had a budget we might have such kit for them to use.
Thanks for that link GB I'll have a look. It could be the answer.
I didn't realise it was such a big deal when I said I'd find something for them to use.
Its a while since I looked at the gun laws.
Lind of lost interest when I had to stop shooting.
Cheers, Simon

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I think you'd be better off using an air soft pistol or toy gun and adding the sound effect in by another means.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Hypothetically speaking you understand, do you need a licence for a black starting pistol?

No, but as I understand the law you need to be a re-enactor, museum person.or a theatrical person to have a blank gun that looks like a gun. Glad that proper villains are incapable of painting their real firearms orange.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
No, but as I understand the law you need to be a re-enactor, museum person.or a theatrical person to have a blank gun that looks like a gun. Glad that proper villains are incapable of painting their real firearms orange.

Thanks, glad I'm a reenactor, hypothetically of course. I know what you mean about the villains, it's crossed my mind as well.

sent by weird means

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

One of those rare occasions when we agree.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It isn't just blank firers that can fall foul of the law apparently.
Anything having the appearance of a real gun, whether it fires or not, regardless of the materials it is made of, is potentially illegal.
Fortunately the necessary use of a blank-firing or otherwise realistic model weapon in a play or film is seen as legitimate excuse for possession.
Unfortunately it seems to be carte blanche in regard to prices for stage guns.
We may have to use something else and fake the bang after all.
Cheers for the help guys.
Simon

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I'll stand corrected but I think it is legal to own an older non orange blank firer but is is illegal to sell it or even give it away.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Cheap blank firer off-stage, rehearse and fire it to coincide with the realistic looking one perhaps. I do remember an episode though of Jennings and Derbyshire on Children's hour on the BBC Home Service radio. One had to fire a gun on stage and the other was to blow up and burst a paper bag as the sound of the shot but didn't. Was it also Michael Green's The Art of Coarse Acting that had the sound of the shot off-stage failing until the actor gave up and pretended to beat the victim to death with the butt when there was a loud bang?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Swotty I think you are right, as long as you never take it into a public area, which as we know includes cars boots and glove boxes!
Boatman, agreed the timing of an off-stage bang (to coin a phrase) is fraught with danger of being mis-timed also I'm struggling to find a "cheap" blank firer anyway.
Was it Mr Micawber whose catch phrase was 'Something's bound to turn up'?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE