Not squeezing squeezy tubes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Bah! try saying that in a hurry)

I have been sorting out my camping FAK....and so my car one, and the kitchen.

I have an emergency kit for my uni bag, but have now divided that into two pouches, -some generic kit, and a FAK.

I found a wee pouch at the car boot; a Gelert travel pak 1....empty, so I fill it how I please. (My local chemist stocks things that you can buy in the quantity you need, for your own plans).

So I bought a 15mg tube of antiseptic cream.

But, I got to thinking; How do I protect it when in my squishy pack which no doubt will end up at the bottom of my rucksack with all that implies?

If I had a hard box, fine, but I have a pouch.

I see disaster comming. What do you do to keep tubes unsquashed?

firedfromthecircus

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
there
It's not something I've ever considered as generally if the lid is on tight the plastic tubes don't compress. Not like the old metal tubes which would puncture. But to answer your question, how about re-using a plastic 'Berrocca' or similar effervescent vitamin tubes? Cut it down if needs be and a small antiseptic squeezy tube should fit ok.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Duct tape usually.

Failing that you can scavenge plastic tubing and slip the tube inside....the plastic tube that comes inside ready rolled marzipan is excellent for the job :) Bound to be something else along those lines though.

M

p.s. Firedfromthecircus beat me to it ! :D

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Urine sample bottle? :)
Think most chemists/pharmacies sell them.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I never brought toothpaste, but Creamed Cod Roe and cheese on tube.
Sounds stupid, but I used the cardboard tube from kitchen rolls, cut to length, and normal sellotape.
Not hard for sure, but enough protection.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Copper piping from a plumber's supplier, along with end caps for pipes. Solder or glue one end cap, and either friction-fit the cap at the other end, or thread it for a screw-on cap.

This page will show you the standard outside diameters (O.D.) for BS 2871 piping, along with wall thickness, so from the size of the squeezy tubes you want to protect, you can see what O.D. piping you need.

You could also then use permanent marker to write on the copper what is inside, in a way that is more visible than the small printing on the small squeezy tube.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I just looked for our antiseptic cream ( Neosporin) and saw it is packaged in a plastic tube.
If it is the same packaging and as long as the tube has not been opened, you do not need to worry as it is very strong.
Has the tube been opened, it is still strong and should be fine unless you step on it.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Chuck my firstaid in my possibility pouch, with all the metal files cottom woll, pliers cotton compass etc, they never really squeeze, that or tubes of glue I use for sealant. They may get a hole or two though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE