Not packing light, but compact?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Bouncing ideas way ahead, still months till the packing is happening, but good planning is key, right? :)

So the stats are: 5-8 days out on ones own, 1-3 warm meals/day, all drinking/cooking liquids must be with, method of moving SOT kayak (Tarpon 120) max weight allowed including fishing gear 40-50kg (preferred 40 or less). Kayak safety gear+ anchors and stuff take some of the place.

Temperatures anything from 0 to +20 deg Celcius, possibility of rain/cloudy days.
http://www.climatemps.com/graph/helsinki_files/image001.gif

What would you pack if wanted to be comfortable and also enjoy what you eat. Fresh fish (Pike/Perch) caught propably every day, but am actually not a big fish eater.

What would you pack, eat, wear, sleep in? And remember everything must be packed watertight or not mind of salty water.

Firewood available at camp locations, different place every or everyother night. Meaning that trash must be also carried with.

Stuff I have anyway but what to pack

Sleeping bags from light to heavy down ones.
Tent (considering buying tarp&hammock)
Inflatable matresses, cloced cell matresses (thick)
Knives (plenty of them)
Varous Led Lenser torches+headlight
Abundance of fishing gear, will be stripped to essentials for this trip, only 3-4 rods etc. but occupy a SmartStore Classic 16, livewell (Vittles Vault Stackable 40) so they take most of the rear storage space.
Hobo stove
Kettles, pans, utensils
Thermos flasks (from 0,5-1,9 liter) food thermos, thermos bags (small)
Flasks from 0,5 to 1,5ltr
Dry jars several of 3ltr, 1 of 10ltr, small dry boxes, need to buy few dry bags
Dry suit, thermal layers, fleece layers, wool layers, rubber layers
Seaskinz socks&gloves
Cheap "crocks" are good as kayak shoes, but on land there is a possibility of adders, but won't pack the heavy hiking boots.
First Aid gear
Compass, marine map of area
Smartish phone
Tealight lantern (tiny) small storm lantern (lamp oil), battery lantern
Collecting 3ltr wine box liner bags for water transportation, must make cover bags for them, so will be safer (not so likely to puncture) inside the hull.
propably loads more, but cant remember most :eek:

Food, food and more food

What's missing? What's unnecessary?
Surely can't guess it's been years since I've slept outside my bed for more than a night?
But half of the stuff is for kayaking anyway and half for my K9 SAR gear.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm currently packing for a 12 day trip to Finland next month. Simply put all of the kit that you absolutely need in a pile, divide the pile into 4 smaller piles then pick your favorite pile. Then remember that you've forgot to include your food - remove more kit to make room for food. Next you'll decide that the food is too heavy so substitute most of your meals with dehydrated food. Finally you'll remember that you need to make room for the 2 litres of fuel you'll need to buy when you arrive at your destination...

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Wellcome to F:land and I really hope you enjoy freezing cold :D
But there will be wonderfull starbright nigts, just too cold to enjoy them :lmao:

Not planning to take dehydrated stuff, unless you count pasta, rise & lentils, or porridge flakes and bread ingredients into that category? Few canned stuffs, but as cooking for one, must plan to eat the same stuff or modification of it at least twice in a row. Some fresh fruits and weggies, frozen sausages&halloumi, eggs, must have crepes and omelettes :)

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Can't see water purification on the list and it sounds like you'll be surrounded with it. Milbank (Bilbank from Bilmo?) bags + boiling, and some tabs. With that, would you really need masses of water transportation?

Yup, surrounded by it, but it's salty and foul in other ways, the Baltic is rather polluted and I will be located on a river delta that is basically a waste drain of a 60 mile area to inland, so not drinking that.
If there was water on these islands I camp on, it would be drinkable without purification, but the islands are rock solid with few boulders and some trees. So yeah, loading 10-15 liters of water into the hull is easier/less time consuming, meaning more fishing time :)

Gear will be transported to/from shore with a car, most can be packed into yak at home as it sits on the trailer.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
The water question for me too.

I'd want a minimum of 2 liters per day - probably 3 including cooking.

That's going to be 20kg or so. As well as the millbank possibility, or a drip filter system for camp?

Alex

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
All I reckons missing is a camera:D unless your wanting to spend on a ROP and spend hours making water then it all looks cool!

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
With my water usage 15ltrs is plenty for cooking&drinking. My cocoa in the evening will be made with milk&cream (+rum), as will be some of the cooking, so that "saves" a bit of water ;)

As I'm quite sure there is going to bee room enough, there is going to be a sixpack of cider too and yet more water "saved" :D

As said before, no dehydrated foodstuffs, fist 24hrs will be frozen&fresh food, then quick pasta/rice/noodels/jacket potatoes, weggie stew etc, the only big spenders are pasta&rice and one person portion is cooked with 0,5 liter of water.

As I will be changing camp plenty of times, I'm not keen of the idea of filtering system for brakish sea water and unattended fire is also a big no no. I plan to be out on the yak propably over 12hrs on most days, not paddling, but anchored at a good spot teasing Perch, drinking tea and snacking shortbreads.

This trip isn't about survival but leisure, relaxing, pampering myself and getting a break from everything. So a therapy trip :)

Last edited:

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I'd probably take some way of calling for help other than a cell phone in that environment PLB and or Sat Phone. If I was going that close to minimum on fresh water especially with a risk of losing it. I'd also be tempted to take my Katadyn Desalinator both of these especially for a Solo trip.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Good points, repair stuff (http://www.homedepot.ca/product/marine-goop/946582 ) always in the "red bucket" = my Yak just in case :)
Duct tape is coming, rolled onto my matchbox jar. Also some knitting needels (can use braided line as thread) and super glue in first aid kit and repair kit. If there is too much space, I might even take Araldit, as I love the stuff :D
Sat Phone wont be needed, people will know where I am and the nearest friend owning a motor boat is only few miles away.
I expect to run out off phone battery at some point anyway, but might take my 15 euro spare phone with me, just to have a spare one.

Map of the area The "mainland on the right upper corner (=larger island) is the one I live on, so literally close to home :lmao:

Physically I'm going to be only few miles from home, mentally far away. There will be boat traffic around most days. If I'm going in May, it will be colder and less boats, mainly locals checking fish nets, sports fishermen in the evenings, in June lots already on holiday and that means traffic in the sea, so in no way am I in wilderness as such, the near shore is quite busy these days, especially as there is commercial and recreational boat routes near by and a few county owned recreational islands too, for boaters to use. I got a referee whistles in my gear always, one on PFD and one in gear box, those are both heardable from main islands also have several red and white blinking lights (use them on dog harnesses in the winter).
http://www.adventurelights.com/outdoors/categories.asp?sid=5&cid=37

The water will be packed into 2-3 liter bladders that slide into the hull. I need to make cover bags for the bladders to protect them and make carrying easier. Water, food and rest of heavy stuff stays in camp, so when fishing I only have my lunch/snacks, drinks and fishing gear, to keep the bucket easy to maneuver.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Aha, gottcha, didn't realise where you were going. Must say I'm looking fwd to pix ...

I figured that if there is wast areas of uninhabited, interesting places that I haven't seen and with good fishing practically on my doorstep, the why travel hundreds of miles away?
When and if there comes a time all of these are seen, then travel further away :)

But I've seen eneough of Lappland to know it does not attract me and seen enough of woodland to figure out the same :D

However one of the most importatnt questions were left unanswered, what would you quys leave off?

The camera is also a bit of an issue, I recently bought a pocket size Canon, and it broke about 2 weeks after warranty ended and some googling told me that they would not have covered the fault even under warranty. Now I have just the big bulky one, that I sure wont take out to sea and no money to by a new pocket size one, let alone waterproof one :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE