not long now

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I`m hoping it will become a place i can be found from time to time. I`m a cold weather person (by Britain`s standards), feel energised and alive in the cold. Its a giggle, i can walk into my forestry HQ, a new and heated building, the staff in thick jackets and mitts and scarfs, and there is me out all day in the cold wind in a t shirt, quite chirpy :)

Cold climates fascinate me, its one of the reasons I have felt confident to invest in some good quality gear (norrona etc) as i know i`ll be back there soon (perhaps show me your playground Arctic Hobo :) ).

I`m going to post a list and pics of my kits this weekend so you can all either comment, snigger, or beg me to chance something so i`ll stay alive :)

Nomad

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Nomad said:
thanks :) No, i checked my local college, no Sami courses there :) I`m going to be meeting them so would just like to know how to say hello and thank you, that kind of thing.

The felt liners are for boots (my rucksack is an arctic one, if its not up to the job i`ll get to ear bash who designed it, as its him i`m going with, one Mr Mears)

I`m thinking of going with his suggestion also of some oversized paraboots.

Hi mate,
I bought the Kamik boots and they rock, you will not need to buy a separated felt liner. The have the biggest and best designed felt liner I have seen in a boot. The Kamik boots have different styles get the one I posted a link before. I bought some for my kids and they are great too, they never have cold feed but the liner is best in the one I bought.
Take care to buy the best you can get for your feet really. I know what I am talking about it can get extreamly cold here.

kamikoslo.jpg

About sleeping backs:

On my website you can see me testing a Nanook minus 25. And it got **** cold laying in a snow shelter, you can keep your warmth but it was very hard to sleep and I was very beaten by the night, today I would buy one which is up to minus 40 or more to have more comfort.
Today I would probably buy one of these, maybe the snowy owl check it out:

http://www.featheredfriends.com/productlist.aspx?SubCatId=2&CatId=1&selection=2

I don't know how much time you have left before you come here, but get some of the books I reviewed on my webpage, they are the best and believe me it is important that you know what you are doing up here, get all the knowledge before you come, get one of the books and be prepared.

http://web.telia.com/~u18313429/booktips.htm

I was reading here somewhere in the thread that frozen trees don't burn that is not true, if the temperature is below minus 20 birch tree is great to use but it has to be below minus 20 as you might know very cold climates have dehydration effect, therefore you have to drink all the time to keep you blood thin. Check out my craft section and the little survival cooker I build, that little guy can be very pleasant and might save your life.

Please note that reindeers here are like private stock, don't ever stress them or think of hunting. It would be the same as shooting your neighbors dog.
All of them have their ears marked and belong to a family nearby. Hunting is strictly regulated here and doesn't fall under the right everyone has going into the fjälls. If you are into hunting tell me and I can send you some links in english to help you with the knowledge.

Otherwise think of the wind if you are in the fjälls, cold and high wind can kill you quickly, get a face mask and ski sunglasses which are big enough to cover the most of you face. Bring a big scarf with you so you can cover your entire head.
Tom_Jamrog.jpg

Watch your hands I froze mine and they still hurt easily.
Here is a link to the best undercloth I know:
http://www.ullfrotte.com/swe/asp/200.asp

Lot people here use skis for travel myself I enjoy more snowshoes:
The Faber Alaskan is a great one:

snowshoes02.jpg

fox_pictures009.jpg

cheers
Abbe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
That was me about the trees :oops: but as I say I've not been in forests at all, just the occasional tree.
One thing I did forget is that if you build a snow house (igloo) the temperature will almost never go below -10 C, even if it is minus 40 outside. This is extremely useful info, but bear in mind it needs people in it to keep warm and it must be a small space with a small opening.
I'd also like to reiterate the point about shooting reindeer.
Any time you want to come to the arctic with me is fine by me :biggthump I'm probably going next winter, then for my expedition the summer after, then again in the winter... and so on :eek:):

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
arctic hobo said:
That was me about the trees :oops: but as I say I've not been in forests at all, just the occasional tree.

Well, I should be more precise as well. I have only used standing dead pine trees and never tried to use a fresh and living birch tree. I just had a look again in the swedish army survival book. They write there that one should not take living trees as firewood because they contain to much water. The exception is the birch tree which is ok to use if you have a fire well going and it is minus 10.

I was not right either :oops: but what the heck it was fun to play the smart guy :eek:):

cheers
Abbe

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Nomad have you gone yet?

If not, I've been on the woodlore arctic jolly and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

I'd strongly suggest not spending much on kit before you go as you'll learn a lot and make much better buying decisions post course :)

Footwear wise I bought a pair of surplus pro-boots which were a size too big (allowing two pairs of thick wool socks) for £20. Did the job superbly. The course uses skis a lot to get round (after teaching you how to ski!). Watch out if you buy something like the Kamik boots, nothing wrong with them but they may not fit in the 'fit-all' bindings of the skis provided.

Scoops

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
the only things i`ve bought are a larger rucksack, sleeping bag and shell-layer with a few other bits and bobs, just exactly whats recommended in the guide written by Ray.

Only thing i can think of to ask is how much time you got to spend with the Sami?

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I enjoyed your pics of the woodlore winter course-snow mobiles and moose ****,what a combination!

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Nomad said:
Only thing i can think of to ask is how much time you got to spend with the Sami?

To be honest not a lot, assuming the course content hasn't changed, I think the guy we spent some time with was called Pers Anders (Not sure at all about his name). Like a previous poster mentioned, they don't tend to stop and chat much, you tend to just see them flash past on a snowmobile as they chase a stray reindeer or two. Don't forget to try a bit of the raw smoked reindeer hanging over the fire, it's surprisingly good!

Lars is a fantastic instructor and all round top bloke, you'll also get to meet a good few locals. I remember thinking about two days into the course that I'd already learnt so much I'd had my money's worth and given the price that's saying something!

The location is great, you're rarely more than a few minutes walk along good tracks from a heated cabin, a great confidence boost when sleeping out in your snow trench for the first time, means you can play around with your clothing layers etc and if you get it wrong it doesn't matter, you can walk back fiddle a bit and try again, excellent for learning without putting yourself in danger.

I wish I was going again, it really is a brilliant trip!

Scoops

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
sounds wonderful, this is perhaps the course of out all of them i`ve been looking forward to most (there is one other thats in the planning process at the minute so dont know too much). I`ve always been mesmerised by the cold climate and really cant wait to learn more about it. Did you get to see much other than the reindeer? I find the wolverine in particular fascinating and would love to see one. As with anything like this I do I`m taking a digi-camcorder, the footage of which is then edited and made into a dvd for family and anyone else who`s interested.

Had you completed the Campcraft course and manage to get some practice/tuition on axe use in the arctic?

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Nomad said:
I`ve always been mesmerised by the cold climate and really cant wait to learn more about it. Did you get to see much other than the reindeer? I find the wolverine in particular fascinating and would love to see one.
Had you completed the Campcraft course and manage to get some practice/tuition on axe use in the arctic?

The artic course is the only course I've ever been on, for the same reasons as you, there's something about the cold that grabs me.

Wolverine tracks were well in evidence when we were there with several new tracks appearing on various nights although we never saw one, I did see a moose with calf during my trip though :-D

An axe did look very useful, but as with most courses their use was restricted to those qualified. If, like me, you're not qualified then try and get a bahco laplander saw before you go, they came a very close second to an axe. Woodlore might be able to send one out with whoever they're sending for you if it's getting too close for postal times.

Scoops

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
scoops_uk said:
An axe did look very useful, but as with most courses their use was restricted to those qualified. If, like me, you're not qualified then try and get a bahco laplander saw before you go,
Scoops

Hi Scoops

How do they work out who is qualified and who is not?? :?:
Maybe it was something to do with insurance???? :yikes:

There seems to be a lot of so called qualifications these days, go for a day and become an instant expert . :roll:

Glad you enjoyed the Course sounds like you had a great time. :biggthump

We had snow here this morning the nice stuff you can brush off wondered why it was so cold last night. :chill:

MickT

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
bothyman said:
How do they work out who is qualified and who is not?? :?:

Don't think it's anything too formal, just a case of asking if you've been on an axe type course or have equivalent experience. If you say you have and then procede to use your axe like a muppet I dare say the course organisers won't be too impressed and you'll look a right fool.

It's all in your own best interests anyway :-D

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Yes, I suppose some folk never get to use an axe much, wish didn't sometimes. :yikes:

Scoops, I see you live in North Yorkshire, so are you a true Yorkshireman?? or are you a wannabe. :grouphug:

MickT ( The Yorkshireman) :wave:

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
They state in the information sent to you when you sign up for the course that only those who have attended their Campcraft course (centering around the axe). Luckily I have done this course as well as used axes for years (quite proud that the Instructor was taking pictures of my efforts as he said they were `textbook`). I`m sure they would entertain discussing someone`s experience/ability gained through other avenues, but understandbly from their point of view, it leaves a grey area where accidents could be more likley.

I`ve had a GFB Scandinavian Axe for a few months now (knowing i`m going on this course, wanted to develop a feel for it before i went) so its all sharpened up nicley, London finished to perfection and ready for me to use.

I intend to be posting pictures of my kit before i go, maybe this weekend.

Does anyone know where to get some woolen trousers, only thing in my kit i want to change, there was a thread where i think Hoodoo was looking for some? any luck anyone?

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Nomad said:
yes they look perfect, however they only carry a 34" waist, and i`m a touch larger than that :)

Hope they make a good starting point for your search anyway, or you could have a really dodgy kebab tonight with lots of chilli sauce :eek:):

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE