not long now

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
hi all :)

just looking to pick(le) the brains of thy windswept exotic and interesting poeple (yes i`ve been watching Big Yin). Off to the Arctic in a few weeks, just got a couple of questions if anyone can help.

1)Felt Liners, good make and where best to get them from?

2)Sami, does anyone know of a rescource (be it book or person) that would allow me to learn a few very basic phrases i can learn. (Not 100% but i`m confident in saying it will be the North dialect)

3) Only thing i`m undecided on is boots, looked at a lot of "arctic" boots and not been on over (at that price anyhoo), so was goingt o opt for an oversized pair of general/military boots, any suggestions which make/model?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Is the felt liner a sleeping bag liner? If so, you'd be better off with a silk liner as they are lighter and insulate better. I hope your sleeping bag is up to it, it can get down to minus 45 in places.
As regards Sami, I'm still looking for a Teach Yourself Sami course :lol: but seriously I don't know. They aren't especially sociable people to tourists/outsiders (and quite right too), so I'd be surprised if you talk to any. They are however friendly if you do join their camp. Local guides can teach you phrases, but you'll find that the Sami aren't very interested in exchanging pleasantries just by the by. If there are many Sami in the area you'll often find that a village has at least one interpreter who will talk to them if necessary, but they prefer not to involve themselves. Theirs is a relatively nomadic lifestyle anyway (following the reindeer).
As regards arctic boots, Abbe posted a link to some good ones. Hold a minute and I'll get you the link :biggthump

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
thanks :) No, i checked my local college, no Sami courses there :) I`m going to be meeting them so would just like to know how to say hello and thank you, that kind of thing.

The felt liners are for boots (my rucksack is an arctic one, if its not up to the job i`ll get to ear bash who designed it, as its him i`m going with, one Mr Mears)

I`m thinking of going with his suggestion also of some oversized paraboots.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Hmm, don't recognise that bag at all. Not sure that it's a Nanok bag, unless they make them custom just for him.
As regards tips, where to start? Snowholing, reindeer hunting, keeping warm, planning ahead, navigation, equipment, food, exercise patterns, emergencies, and so on and so on. I'm happy to tell you what I know but you need to be more specific. Plus where are you going? Northern Scandinavia is a big place!

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Nanok make them for Woodlore, its a design by Ray.

I was digging for silly little things you wouldnt think of straight away. Obviously I`m going there to learn a lot of skills, i was just wondering from your experience if you had any little gems of practicality that spring to mind :)

We are going to Sweden, 150km north of the artic circle in the tiaga circum- polar forest, fly into Kiruna, the site os near the Sarek National Park, close to the Kalix river

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
These guys make full on expedition gear... their site is under construction but if you give them a call they'll send a catalogue. it's not OTT expensive for absolutely top kit.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Well off the top of my head:
It can take hours to melt snow into water, so you must always be thinking ahead to melt some for when you will be thirsty.
Don't wait until you can't go any further before snowholing - you need the energy to dig! And don't be lazy and dig a shallow one because it will fall in.
Wood can be frozen hard and unburnable as all it's saps are frozen. I don't know how far this applies as most of my experience is in treeless areas.
If it's cold, for god's sake keep moving or you will get even more cold and thus more tired, and thus find it hard to go on. A horrible vicious circle.
Stay as a close group as a snowstorm can easily separate a team even as close at six feet from each other. If the weather's really bad tie all your hand together with a long string so you'll feel immediately where everyone is going.
When you're very cold, your brain will be addled and slow. I've posted a story on here about my waking up and finding it was minus 40 C and going outside to watch the northern lights. Now minus 40 is just a number until you experience it but at that temperature your eyes will freeze in your face and your clothes will freeze solid rendering you immobile. Your breath will fall as ice even inside your mouth, and your throat will be painful. You are very likely to get frostbite in your hands feet and nose. And I was happily sitting in this with a cup of coffee gazing at the sky. One of the first signs of a very cold brain is a false idea of one's capabilities, others are unreasonable behaviour, and very muddled logic.
As regards heat, KEEP YOUR HEAD WARM ALWAYS. The difference this makes can easily save your life.
You read in many survival manuals that you fell a pine tree and sleep under it. Well before you get under it, very thoroughly shake out all the snow (this will be the majority of the weight), as it will a) crush you and b) melt and soak you.
Be careful if it rains slightly as a thin and lethal sheet of ice will form on the snow, especially overnight.
Admittedly there will be little daylight, but ALWAYS wear goggles when it is bright. It's surprising how much harm is done before you realise - like a sunburn, it's fine until you realise it's happened and then it's really bad.
There are many more - I'll post them as I think of them :biggthump

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
thanks guys, i had come across some of those resources myself, the more i learn about them the more interested i become in knowing more, fascinating history, learned some important beliefs i will be able to conduct myself with respect to while in their land.

Nomad

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE