Not instantly Bushcrafty kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Inspired by a thread on British Blades in which Narsil commented on the fact that he has a hot melt glue stick in his possibles bag, I had a look at my kit and includes a glue stick, some tye-raps and a small roll of gaffer tape. I would never have considered these things to be bushcrafty but on reflection, they could get you out of all sorts of problems with repairs, take up next to no room and weigh even less.

I was wondering if anyone else carries anything like this?

hobo

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2005
sheffield uk
jus saying hi and to say gaffer tape is god !! the glue stick thing is a good idea to what do you melt it with direct flame or heated meatal!

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
A wire coathanger. There are just so many different uses for a stout bit of wire around the camp that it's unbelievable; improvised pot-hangers, stands, stew-stirrer (I forgot my spoon), pegs for a basha's guy-lines, even a tool to burn designs onto wood carvings... not to mention a million other little things, like hanging up wet clothing and holding random things together temporarily. Quite useful, yet you wouldn't think to bring one!

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Gaffa tape is a must , but i take velcro Adjustable ties (another B&Q bargin)
They come upto 38cm but can be joined for a longer length and way virualy nothing . They even come in larey colours so must be woth carrying !
Pumbaa

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Duct tape (same as gaffer?) has a 1000 uses. So another vote for that :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Just a tip about Gaffer, I used to work with a lot of Broadcast Camera men. They all had about a dozen half meter strips of gaffer stuck to the inside of their coats, it was easily accessible and took up no space.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Old bicycle innertubes!
If you got to your local bike shop they often have loads (with punctures) they just throw away. All sorts of uses. Make you own "ranger bands", tie down straps, waterproof firelighting strips, attaching firesteels to knife sheaths etc. etc.
The small ones are great for stopping land rover tailgate chains from clanking around, but do cut a hole at the bottom of the loop or they fill with water.

Dave

Moine

Forager
Ok, soapbox mode here...

I think it's stupid and dangerous to avoid good pieces of gear and good techniques because they are not old fashioned enough.

End of soapbox mode.

I know how to make flint tools, but I still carry (at least) a good quality blade in the field. I know how to obtain fire by many different "primitive" means, but I always carry 3 different ways to create fire quickly in the field. I know how to make a debris hut stormproof, but I still carry at least a poncho, if not a poncho and a tarp. I know how to obtain pure pine pitch from fatwood and make a tar out of it... but I still carry cyanoacrylate and duct tape...

It's good to knwo and practice old fashioned stuff, but that's no reason to stop being realistic.

Cheers,

David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE