Not Bushcraft - socks, have they become less durable?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Off topic but would you have any ideas on how to salvage some fleece gloves that fit nicely except for the middle finger being made thinner than the other fingers. I wonder if it's possible to make it wider?

It's 300 weight fleece with reinforcement to the palm side and wind resistance to the knuckles. The fingers have fabric running around the side over the tip and back. The top and bottom is a flat piece joined to your wrap around. The stitching is inside where there is a very small bit of folded in fleece fabric.

Long shot but they're actually comfortable except for the middle finger. That's squashed and gets cold quickly.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Is it possible to post a pic of them.
I have hand sewn a pair of sheepskin gloves before now. It might be possible to make a peice to go from the bit between the first finger and down to the third that is wider and sew it in. You will have to do some deconstruction of the glove tho.

so it's not just me...:smuggrin:
regardless of material and type of footwear my socks get holes in the heels faster than you'd believe... they make socks with the big toe separated or even every toe, with the tips "cut off" but nobody has come up with a deliberate hole in the heels:(:p (fortunately nobody sees what i'm wearing in my rubber boots in the jungle:D:D) makes me jealous of my dog for not needing footwear!

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Taken from about 55 years of keeping track where wool socks seem to be holed I quit using the good ones in anything but shoes, meaning I don't wear them walking around in the house. That about doubled the useful life. Cut your toe nails!

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Cutting toenails helps as does using a pumice Stone to get any rough tough skin off the heel area.
Sorry forgot to check those socks I was thinking of today. Will try to remember tomorrow.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Taking care of one's feet is a large subject in itself. Pumice is fancy I just use an ordinary skin file. :) I have tried several foot ointments and what I presently use is a funny smelling mixture of olive oil, beeswax and tee tree oil. Just works. About ten years ago I had to change my inner soles to gel ones. Helps the old feet to take the load of 25 kg backpack. Washing feet on a trek is another matter, I ended up not really washing with soap but just rinsing. Usually also change socks at least once a day when walking with load.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Bother! Just realised I forgot again to check out those socks! Bumped into someone I hadn't seen for a while and went for a cup of tea and a long chat. Totaly sidetracked. I was only feet from the shop too. Try again tomorrow. Sorry:(

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Having worn out numerous socks over the years, the cheap and cheerful grey black bundles from asda seem to last the longest for daily wear. Bridgedales thorlos? smart wool all seems to shrink over time with the washing machine monster rumbling away( no spin cycle)
The nice argyle pattern thin socks tend to model holes at the seam, therefore a sock cull occurs every six months or so. The really nice merino socks purchased in stranraer were soft warm and tall enough for high leg karimors. I do like a colourful selection the sock monster always seems to whittle the colours down though

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Those Asda socks you say are good, well the first pair in one pack lasted a week. I think I have one pair left but it seems to have shrunk in height but not foot length.

Basically a load of cheap rubbish. Thrown my money away buying them.

Funny how different people rate the same things differently.

Edtwozeronine

Jan 18, 2020
Newport City
I'm on the hunt for wider fitting socks myself, my current ones seem way too tight for foot width and calfs. All I can find are flight stockings for DVT sufferers which aren't exactly socks and sock sellers claiming they're extra large on Amazon etc but read the reviews and they seem to be scamming so and sos.

Last edited:

Coldfeet

Life Member
Mar 20, 2013
Yorkshire
There is a brand of sock from the USA that has a lifetime guarantee. I can't remember exactly. I know they are not cheap. I'll check them out tomorrow. I've not realy bothered to look as I make most of my own socks nowadays using alpaca wool for winter and am about to start knitting some summer ones from cotton as soon as I've finished the ones I'm making now.
I do darn socks. Maybe you should get a darning mushroom and learn to darn socks :) make them last a bit longer . (I can just see your face at that suggestion! )
Sounds like Darn Tough to me

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I've been wearing socks the whole of my 47 years. Once my feet stopped growing I could keep socks as long as they lasted. Right now I've got socks dating from my teenage years that look washed out but intact. I've been throwing out holed socks bought 2 months ago. What's that about?

Congratulations on reaching the stage in life where nothing (music, cars, people, clothes, hairstyles, TV programmes, sportsmen/women, films, the weather, etc. etc, and, I’m afraid to say - you) is ever going to be as good as it once was.

If it has not happened already, soon, advice from parents and other seniors which was dispensed decades ago and dismissed at the time as nonsense will start making perfect sense and will be relayed to the next generation who will doubtless fail to appreciate the wisdom of the valuable life lessons you are dispensing! ;)

FWIW, I wear mid-weight Bridgedale socks (sometimes with a thicker pair on top if it is cold and the boots a bit loose) of varying vintages every day usually under some form of safety boots and they last well. I have dozens of pairs accumulated over the years (Cotswold usually sell off seconds cheap around Xmas) and cull maybe a couple of pairs a year but no complaints about durability.

Helly Hansen and other ski socks and “Jeep” or similar ruffty tuffty branded “work” socks bought as Xmas gifts by well meaning relatives are usually in tatters in a couple of months.

Everyone’s feet and what they do with them are different but IMHO Bridgedale or other decent hiking socks are worth the money as are surplus wool “Arctic” socks for under wellies in the cold. :)

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Getting old is one difficult thing to avoid, apparently nobody has done it so far. A lot of things tend to get worse but there is one that gets better, experience. One just has to learn to utilize that.

It takes some effort to separate actual experience from the clutter but it pays off.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Getting old is one difficult thing to avoid, apparently nobody has done it so far. A lot of things tend to get worse but there is one that gets better, experience. One just has to learn to utilize that.

It takes some effort to separate actual experience from the clutter but it pays off.
Very true. My excuse is that I've got a lot going on this week with two friends not well so I'm running (hobbling)around after them and several medical appointments for myself. Plus other stuff. It's been a hectic time. Many things not essential have slipped my mind this week.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden

When you reach a certain age, you forget all that hard learned experience.
That age the only suitable bush crafting left is to sit on a bench and feed the pidgeons and ducks.
:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE