Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi if you're going to spain....
check out the prickly pears, they grow there like weeds!
if you can get into them they are very tasty!
(i suggest leather gloves and a sharp knife!)

other bushcrafty stuff you could try,
you may come across almond, orange, olive, and ucalyptus trees!
i saw evidence of wild boar and a huge snakes skull (skeleton) the size of my fist!

i haven't been doing any bushcraft myself over the last while, just trying to set up some local enviromental work.

though i've come across (or have i invented it???) a very fast guy rope system to tie tarps to trees!

also a hoop pole design to change any rectangular (or square) tarp into a small hoop tent, with one pole and 6 pegs!

i feel a demo is in order! :rolleyes:
I'll need to take some photo's.

also i took a walk in the attlebridge area (near horsford)and found a great unspoilt woodland sadly it's private, but well worth a look!

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Hello Gents - reporting in...
Just returned from trip to bonny Scotland. Completed the West Highland Way (95 miles) in 5 and a half days and
topped it off with a walk up Ben Nevis. Fantastic trip - weather couldn't have been better. No midges and not a cloud in the sky until we walked the Ben. Even then cloudbase was 1500 ft and we broke through to bright sunshine at 2000 ft with an awsome panorama of peaks poking through the cloud !
Had some great wild camps. One night saw us on the shores of Loch Lomond toasting our weary feet on a
driftwood fire and drinking tea brewed from the Loch water another saw us way up in a Glen watching 4 Red Deer outlined by the setting sun. Munched a few Primroses en-route as well as the occasional beer at a welcome hostelry !

Had a bash at some charcloth before I left using the pierced tin and stick method. First lot looked good but wouldn't take a spark from a black flint very well at all. Second lot I left in the fire alot longer and takes a spark easily. Lesson learned - dont get impatient and bung the smoke hole too soon !

We'll meet again, dont know where, dont know when... etc

See ya'll

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Weekender present as always looking in, Kev B sounds like you had a great trip and lucky with the weather.
Rappelby wouldnt mind seeing this new and improved way of tying off guy ropes, picces when your ready. :D
Have found a good quite spot for practising things not a very large area suits me ok now summer is on the way ive got more cover.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
What with work these days I can't do a full weekender without a bit of notice but given time I'm sure i could arrange cover.
Had a bash at some charcloth before I left using the pierced tin and stick method. First lot looked good but wouldn't take a spark from a black flint very well at all. Second lot I left in the fire alot longer and takes a spark easily. Lesson learned - dont get impatient and bung the smoke hole too soon !
Kev, you should block up the hole when it stops smoking, that way you've burnt off all the rubbish you don't want and are left with charcloth.

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Thanks for the tip Snufkin. I guess I knew that before I started but I got impatient and sort of convinced myself that it had stopped !

Another question though - occasionaly the hole in the tin would stop emitting smoke and errupt into a jet of flame. I guess this was burning off volatile gases. I damped out this flame each time it errupted since I was unsure if it was affecting the process inside the tin. Any one else experience this and does it affect the end result if you just leave it to burn out on its own ?
I was using an old Treacle tin and a roll of Denim cloth so there shouldn't have been any major contaminants in the tin.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've had the jet of flame on a couple of occasions but other than being slightly alarming it didn't affect the resulting charcloth.

Jay-Jay

May 11, 2006
Thetford
A couple of weeks ago i was on the STANTA battle area. What a great landscape for bushcraft....if only :rolleyes: A fantastic camping spot by one of the lakes was used as the German Command Post (small pine forrest on the edge would be ideal for hammocks)
I've been wanting a look on there for yonks and it was well worth the wait.
Took a few pic's but not allowed to show unless cleared by MOD, so here's one i took from a public road. Doesn't do it justice realy.
x1pdXMbD-RMMPxMDaydhB5pnSLQp2L-gixZFxjhRv1YFJyvMZ-ePhK8b0b40UWxQWLivD4JLo-xJFe-f2iXaGvJh2iJv4PE-itOKudxQgbPaI3smunRn9zkdw

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
You don't often see WW2 german troops around here! :)
i take it there were WW2 UK and US troops also? (we'll you'd hope so!)

whilst army training on STANTA i stayed with the "company" in a group of farm buildings right next to a lake in the next building some soldiers were dressed as "enemy" for a different excersise in Russian Spetsnatz camo.

pretty cool, prehaps you can offer us a tour of your fave spots?

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Anyone up for an all day meetup in Dunwich Forest on Saturday 9th June ? I shall be taking a stroll myself anyway so anyone interested is welcome to join me.
My aim for this outing will be to take a 'foraging' stroll and produce a cooked snack containing my gatherings.
Fires are obviously not allowed in Forestry Commision areas so I'll be using a wood burning stove to cook. If you haven't got one then you may have time to scrounge a catering size coffee tin (the half height size) and knock one up before you come - this is all I use - nothing fancy.
Of course you dont have to do this at all - make up your own agenda. It'll just be nice to get a few faces together again.
I suggest start time around 10.00am. Let me know if you are interested and I'll PM you a Grid Ref and any other details.

Kev

Dino

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2006
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Anyone up for an all day meetup in Dunwich Forest on Saturday 9th June ? I shall be taking a stroll myself anyway so anyone interested is welcome to join me.
My aim for this outing will be to take a 'foraging' stroll and produce a cooked snack containing my gatherings.
Fires are obviously not allowed in Forestry Commision areas so I'll be using a wood burning stove to cook. If you haven't got one then you may have time to scrounge a catering size coffee tin (the half height size) and knock one up before you come - this is all I use - nothing fancy.
Of course you dont have to do this at all - make up your own agenda. It'll just be nice to get a few faces together again.
I suggest start time around 10.00am. Let me know if you are interested and I'll PM you a Grid Ref and any other details.

Kev

i be intrested, but i have check with my beloved, as i have doing to many Sea cadets event & not spending enough time with family.:rolleyes:

Dino

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE