Norwich and Norfolk group new thread!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi sorry mate the my NTL cable crashed yesterday so i coulden't get online, here are the directions!

here are the directions:
from Norwich follow the A47 southern bypass to Dereham,
at Dereham take a left on to the wymondham road B1135,
a few miles down the B1135 is Garvestone, turn right into the village.
the entrance to the camp site is a small track next to a church,
grid ref: TG 023 073

don't forget food mossie repellant(i don't know what it's like!) and all your gizmos gadgets and skills you want to teach or be taught! ;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
anyone else getting excited? :D I am! IT'S OUR FIRST AREA CAMP THIS WEEKEND FOR A LONG TIME! :D
if you can't stay the night or the day, just come along for the morning or an evening! we will be happy to meet you anyway!

we're a fairly laid back sort of group :240: , please don't feel you have to prove anything, wear the right clothes, have the right equipment, or even say the right thing(we certainly don't! :D

just turn up how you are, introduce yourself (however you want to be known)and get to know us!

the details are above, as for a time to meet, if i say 10am at the earliest, cause i have kids to deal with beforehand! and anyone can join us throughout the day.

there is no set activity, though i'll bring friction fire gear my Airforce survival equipment collection for you guys to have a look at (it's big!), and prehaps we should go for a food collection trip at some point for some tastey bushcraft morsels!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all! :You_Rock_

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Well, I had a great time this weekend, thanks to all the guys for showing up and making it so good :You_Rock_ .
Here are a few photos
Setting up camp.
2006_0806Image0001.jpg

KevB on the hand drill.
2006_0806Image0002.jpg

Supper on the go.
2006_0806Image0006.jpg

Breakfast of champions.
2006_0806Image0009.jpg

Biddlesby chopping out an elder hearthboard.
2006_0806Image0010.jpg

Thanks again to all who could make it, and Kimboko for his flying visit.
A special thanks to Lord Lurcher for the lift and the best roast chicken I've ever had.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_ Excellent photo's, more on their way shortly!

eda45c17.jpg

it was a good turn out and even Kimboko(in the light shorts) came to visit for a short while! :D

eda45c16.jpg

Biddlesby "giving it some" on the hand drill whilst Snufkin and Gear guru watch.

eda45c13.jpg

on the menu:
spit roast chicken, rabbit stew with wild mushrooms, pan fried rabbit with garlic, bannock style bread twists, and some rather sour crab apples :lmao: .

eda45c0f.jpg

Gear guru not quite concentrating on the job at hand! on one of the many Bow and Hand drill sessions :rolleyes:

eda45c0d.jpg

the 6 Highly personalised tarp homes for the night. there were some spots for hammocks but we all decided it would be more freindly to all "tarp it"!

eda45c08.jpg

the group left to right:
Biddlesby, Rappleby2000(me), Gear guru, Kev-B, Snufkin, and Lord lurcher.

job well done guy's :You_Rock_
it must be said that we all learned something, and enjoyed the weekend camp thoroughly!
we'll get another organised soon, don't worry you're invited leon! ;)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
liking the thetford site it looks ideal, might be a bit of a busmans holiday being so close to the railway but i can live with that, gutted i couldnt make the last camp but as you say there will be others and how perfect was the weather for tarping it. . .
weekender

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
thanks rappelby i would love to come to the next one, sooo gutted i couldnt make this one as it looked like you all had a great time
leon

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Thanks to Rappleby and Biddlesby for sorting out a great weekend. Good to meet all the faces at last.
It's amazing how many little 'knowledge nuggets' you pick up when discussing things with others. Thanks to all of you for sharing those - especially to Snufkin for getting me kick started with the hand-drill..
I was also amazed and impressed by the 'bottomless pit' that masquerades as 'Lord Lurchers' stomach !. Thanks for the chow Lordy !

See y'all again sometime I hope.

lord lurcher

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2005
norwich, norfolk
Thanks to all for the weekend, had a great time!!! Good to meet some new faces, check out different kit, and learn while watching others. Kev was good to meet a fellow long-netter (now a dying breed!) we'll have to get together and have a foray some time. Looking forward to the next one, take care guys and see ya soon :You_Rock_

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
Thnx to everyone for an excellent weekend - It was great to watch and learn from everyone there. Looking forward to the next get together, hope its at Thetford so we can wack the hammocks up.

P.S. What was the name of the primitive forum you where talking about Snufkin?

Cheers Chris :rolleyes: :D ;)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
GearGuru said:
Thnx to everyone for an excellent weekend - It was great to watch and learn from everyone there. Looking forward to the next get together, hope its at Thetford so we can wack the hammocks up.

P.S. What was the name of the primitive forum you where talking about Snufkin?

Cheers Chris :rolleyes: :D ;)
Glad you enjoyed yourself, I certainly did. The forum is paleoplanet

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
and how perfect was the weather for tarping it. . .

just to answer your question weekender, we coulden't have asked for better weather!
as you can see nearly every tarp configuration was present, excellent for trying out ideas, and infact given the fact we all only had (if any) 1 tree to tie one end to which ment everyone had to make poles and supports.
loads of stuff learnt! :D

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
when can a camp at the Thetford site be organised? with a bit of notice i can book the time off as work is slowing down a bit now.

weekender

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Perhaps a bit late, but cheers everybody for the great meet! It's amazing what you can get up to just in a field, and it's a pity I missed a large chunk of it.

By the way Snufkin, what was the name of that movie you were talking about....I forgot it again :p.

Would be up for a thetford meet.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Biddlesby said:
Perhaps a bit late, but cheers everybody for the great meet! It's amazing what you can get up to just in a field, and it's a pity I missed a large chunk of it.

By the way Snufkin, what was the name of that movie you were talking about....I forgot it again :p.

Would be up for a thetford meet.

The film was Jeremiah Johnson.
How is the hand drilling coming on?

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Guys - had a go with the hand drill set I made at the Garvestone meet - Elder hearth and drill. Complete failure - not even a brownish tinge in the hearth. Both the end of the drill and the hearth just became very polished whilst trying to burn in even after re-roughing. Maybe it needs a bit more drying out but I expected at least a whiff of burning !
More likely my technique needs an overhaul !
Anyone succeded with this combination ?

Also tried out the old Crampball fungus - fantastic stuff - takes a spark first time everytime. Many thanks for finding that source Rappleby.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I surprised myself whilst away at work,
I went around and collected parts of a hand drill set, elder(drill) and clematis(base), neither were prep'd and managed to achieve smoke black dust and almost a coal, that's with no drying or preparing! :rolleyes:

as most of you know i am having to look at other work, in Norwich for a while, but i shall try to organise a thetford camp ASAP.

Sam1

Jul 31, 2006
Norfolk
Hello. im intrested in joining the norwich and norfolk group. i just read about your meet in garveston and i would like to come to any future meets.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Sam1 said:
Hello. im intrested in joining the norwich and norfolk group. i just read about your meet in garveston and i would like to come to any future meets.
Welcome mate. Keep an eye on this thread for future meetups.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE