Norwegian poncho/shelter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Tor Helge
You are a star.
You have confirmed what I worked out last night..... the obtuse angle and two sides pegged to the ground and a pole on the other obtuse angle and you have a super shelter. I feel a bit exposed lying in it but I am quite tall.
Pegged the other way it looks like a piece of art!! but you can make a coffin shape if you use two short poles fixed to a couple of the button holes. It would be good to see some pictures.
Nick P

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Kimboko

Sorry it took so long but I`ve been away at work all week. But here are the pics of a norwegian army tent tarp as a one man shelter.
First two pics of the battle ruck with tarp attaced and the tent poles (never used before).

f3f572f5.jpg

Then two of the shelter. I have to add (once again) that we never used the tarp in this manner. I only heard in boot camp that this was the supposed setup.

f3f572be.jpg

On an exercise we had two of the men forming a listening post ahead of our position using a shelter made of two tarps. They even used an optimus inside (it was winter).

Tor

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Welcome to the forum Tor :)

Great photos thanks for posting :) Always useful to see what bits of army kit are used for. Seems quite a sensible shape as you only use one pole and three peg to erect it. and it would reflect back any heat from a fire, although it is quite low.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
We used canvas tent sheets back in the late 80s during our winter exercises in Norway.

Here is an extract from a book showing how they were used, although it took real skill to live in them for any length of time, they are very cramped but were warm.

tentsheet14vm.jpg

tentsheet25pm.jpg

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Adi Fiddler said:
We used canvas tent sheets back in the late 80s during our winter exercises in Norway.

Here is an extract from a book showing how they were used, although it took real skill to live in them for any length of time, they are very cramped but were warm.

tentsheet14vm.jpg

tentsheet25pm.jpg

We never use the 5 man tent with the layout as shown in the book. We always use a turned top tarp ( tarp nr.4 on the pic is rotated 180 deg.).
That way we sleep like they do in the 7 man layout. Much more convenient.

Tor

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Excellent information thank you all so much.
Having tried it out over the weekend It would be good if I could get another one or three so I can make up a bigger tent any body seen any of them for sale anywhere?.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
My brother has now found another of these tent sheets on the local fell. I now have two, at least I can use them as a tent!

Does anybody know if there any careless Norwegian army or militia units operating in Lancashire?

Considering that now two have been lost I think it more likely that its a School running Combined Cadet Force exercises with ex. Norwegian army kit, does anyone have any other ideas or know of any likely Schools in the Clitheroe area?.

Curious, Nick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE