Norwegian poncho/shelter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
My brother has just given me a Norwegian poncho/shelter, does anyone have any more details on its use and history. I see there are diagrams printed on it to show how they could be joined together but I have only got the one. How was it used for one person only?.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
innocent bystander said:
If it is (a Fjellduken) then it's a wonderful bit of kit. Every outdoorsman in Norway (well almost) owns one, and I'd highly recommend them. The camouflaged version, designed as it is for Norwegian gneiss is truly superb - play tricks on your mates by hiding 6 feet away and they won't see you :D
They're pricey however. If you could give me more info then I can tell you what it is :)

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
innocent bystander said:
Can you get them online anywhere ?
No, unfortunately. Jerven sell them on their site, but it is delivered to a Norwegian address using a system where you pay when you receive it. There are no stockists overseas, which is a great pity! I do not own one (partly because they cost about 85 quid), but I will buy one sometime in the near future - at least, it's an excuse for a weekend break! :D

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I can't really see from the picture and the script is all Norwegian to me. It is a piece of cotton like fabric with eyelets, pegging points and grommet holes around the perimeter it is shaped like two triangles put together (lozenge). There is a hole for the head to go through which can be securely buttoned up. I can see how it is used for a poncho cape but how is it used as a shelter?.

It has got writing on it "norskjellige sammensetninger av teltduken" that may not be correct as it is very worn.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
It sounds a lot like the shelter that some units in the swedsh army used before. I could not find a good picture of it but here are one that shows you two have been set up.

bild.asp

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
KIMBOKO said:
I can't really see from the picture and the script is all Norwegian to me. It is a piece of cotton like fabric with eyelets, pegging points and grommet holes around the perimeter it is shaped like two triangles put together (lozenge). There is a hole for the head to go through which can be securely buttoned up. I can see how it is used for a poncho cape but how is it used as a shelter?.

It has got writing on it "norskjellige sammensetninger av teltduken" that may not be correct as it is very worn.
Can't say I know it. The writing I don't think is quite right - at least I've never heard "jellige" before, and neither has my dictionary - but the rest I can say means it's made of canvas (literally "tent-cloth"). Is there any more writing?

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
"norsk*ellige sammense*ninger av teltduken"
No more writing but I've shown the letters that are least recognisable as stars.
Below this inscription are the diagrams and direction for 16, 12, 8, 4, mannstelt which presumably means number man tent and jensehi md2 , md 1.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
You have a Zeltbahn. This was an old italian design adopted and popularised by Germany in 1920, and like the G.I. poncho found it's way into many european armies and patterns. They can be connected to make unit tents and worn in different configurations. www.choiquehobbies.com.ar/revista01/html/rev/zeltbhane.htm shows the basic unit, ways to wear one and several german bushcrafters at an old meetup :rolleyes: www.wephaus.com usually has a few for sale over here.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Ah, but isn't the zelt' found only in a triangle shape ? And doesn't have slots for the 'and's to go through ?? :confused: Same principle, either way - stick a few together to make bigger tent .....

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
KIMBOKO said:
"norsk*ellige sammense*ninger av teltduken"
No more writing but I've shown the letters that are least recognisable as stars.
Below this inscription are the diagrams and direction for 16, 12, 8, 4, mannstelt which presumably means number man tent and jensehi md2 , md 1.

It means something like "diffrent way to put together the shelter" and numbers means that you can make 4-16 man tent.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
ChrisKavanaugh said:
You have a Zeltbahn. This was an old italian design adopted and popularised by Germany in 1920, and like the G.I. poncho found it's way into many european armies and patterns. They can be connected to make unit tents and worn in different configurations. www.choiquehobbies.com.ar/revista01/html/rev/zeltbhane.htm shows the basic unit, ways to wear one and several german bushcrafters at an old meetup :rolleyes: www.wephaus.com usually has a few for sale over here.

That link was very interesting, I know that the swedish army has been using this configuration since ww2 until just a few years ago. The only thing that has changed during the years was material from canvas to plastic.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Great link Chris, looks like a dead simple but dead effective bit of kit :cool:

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I was aware of the German Zeltbahn and a Zeltbahn site did mention that the Norwegians had a lozenge shaped shelter cloth but that was as far as it went. The use for one seems restricted for one. I just thought that someone out there might know a little about the use of this shape of cloth. I couldn't see the picture from Viking before as I was at work and pictures are rather dim. However I have seen it now and I have also had a chance to play with various configurations. It could be a fine bit of kit but a little short of protection for me 6 foot 4 inches tall. Thanks to all who have responded.

Nick P

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Kimboko

First, Hi to all as this is my first post.
The "poncho you have are a norwegian "Zeltbahn". They are still in use in the norwegian army, I think, at least in the national guard.
The most common configurations are 5 and 7 pieces toghether (a infantery squad consists of 7 men).
When I was doing service as a squad leader (1989) we had a tent made of 10 tarps as the old recoilless gun squad had 10 soldiers (84mm RFK/ Carl Gustav). The tent was heavy (15 kilos) when dry and even heavier when wet, I know, I carried the damn thing :) .
We never used the tarp as a singel piece shelter and the tents were buttoned up in camp. No one wants to button a tent in winter, better to have it premade.

They were originally designed for single use though. The tarp would be carried rolled together on the old type combat ruck (I`ve seen pics of it on this forums). Inside the ruck there was 2 small tent poles (wood) and 3 tent pegs.
The tent pole goes trough the brass grommet and the 3 tent pegs in the corners now on the ground. I`ve never tried it, but I have several of these tarps and the old combat ruck, and I will try it and send some pics later.

Tor Helge

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE