Norway v's German Backpacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
the german one is a repro - dealt with the company and they are good people but thats not a genuine pack its made by miltec IIRC - they made a pretty decent job of it but if you held it up against an original you'd be able to tell

I've had a similar but smaller norwegian pack made of the same materials - those straps will kill you

of course it depends on what you want to carry but niether will be as good as a moddern pack

if I was in the market I'd be looking to get a medium ALICE pack

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
The Norwegian one will tear your shoulders to bits, chew your hips to bloody pulp and break your spine. They should all be burned in my oppinion. And I carried them in the Norwegian Army...

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Bumblers slight distaste for it aside; it is bomb proof, and a tad bigger than the german backpack.

As said several times before in many posts, it is not a comfortable pack with heavy loads.
I use it as a day pack and sometimes on over night trips.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Apart from anything else there is a big difference in their capacities. The Nowegian one is 60 litres and the German aound 35 if my memory serves me. Waylnd did a good review of the German a little while ago. You should be able to find it on the search facility.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
cant comment on the German one as ive not got one,i do however have a Norwegian one, the shoulder straps are useless and not very good to adjust, i changed mine to Brit g/s bergen straps with added sternum strap, makes it better and more managable still not my fav/first to reach for pack though.

Hrafnmann

Jan 19, 2013
BC
Definitely a thumbs up for the German Alpiner. I've been pleased as Punch with mine. It is the perfect size for a daypack or even more as it swallows all my gear with ease. One is tempted to throw in more just in case because of the ample size but I think for heavier weights you would want something a little more stiff and a different centre of gravity as this pack sits high up on the back, leaving your lower back open so as not to interfere with belt equipment....and lets you have a place to sweat freely. This has come in handy while snowshoeing as heat build up can be killer. The rubberization is a bonus feature on the inside flap, bottom, and side pockets; however I added a cheap pack liner for when things get really torrential. I love the slide-thru side pockets as they can hold things such as skis, poles, axes, etc. The inside smaller compartment that is against your back is perfect for adding a semi-stiff cushion/foam/blow up seat which not only protects your back from harder gear poking at you, but can be whipped out to sit on obviously, to keep your bum dry. :D

GermanAlpinePack_zps9dd85354.jpg

And yes, I did remove Herr Hellmich's name patch. ;)

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Ok that's the norwegien one totally ruled out. Especially after bumblers glowing praise of it :lmao:.

Ideally what I'm looking for was between 25 and 35 ltres. And is basically going to hold a car based BOB or "OMG thats the Calmac ferries gone off again Bag".

Its probably not ever going to be carried that far, but Id rather have something thats comfortable to carry and pretty tough in case it is.

Any suggestions welcome, and thanks for the advise so far

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I use my Norgi pack every week, and for overnights, fully loaded, still comfortable, depends how strong your shoulders are I supose, I have a short back and it sits perfect on me!, and no sweaty back, perfect!
Use more than my sabre delta 35, which I might as well sell!
I also use the 1940's Norgi day pack, which is 25ltrs which I posted pic's on here a month or two ago, brand new unissued, 15 quid, worth a look at!

RM

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9277281.htm I mentioned them on a thread before, I now use it as my shopping bag. Build quality is more than enough for the OP's needs and does not look in anyway military should that be an issue. The pack is actually very comfy to wear. For car camping, minus army arctic sleeping bag it easily holds all my person bits and bobs with room to spare for essentials when in the bush like laptop and emergency charger/Kindle/Gin/.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I actually think the Norwegian pack is very good, not to brilliant with heavy loads but still one of my faves. I have the nylon and leather one, use it every day.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No canvas pack is gonna be as comfortable as a modern pack for carrying a load over a distance. You dont mention what you intend to use it for.
But if its a canvas pack youre after, for snow-shoeing, or canoeing etc, the norgie pack is great.
I sold my duluth and other expensive canvas packs, and bought the £15 norgie pack.
And the norgie pack actually has more useful features than the duluthpack I had.
Theres not much difference in comfort between any of the canvas packs.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
As has been said. The Norgie pack as you call it will be fine if you do not load it to much. We had to load it with everything needed to make do in the Norwegian mountains for up to 2 weeks. Our sleeping bag alone was 10lb, and we carried that on top of the lid using the straps. Under it was my part of the button tent. I have no idea how much my pack overall weigh, but the army had never heard of light weight gear. And most of our clothes had not changed much since my dad was in the army when I was in. On top of that, I was a radio man so I carried batteries for radios as well...

Just remember it does not have a hip belt, nor a chest strap. You carry all of the weight on your shoulders....

As a day sack it should be excellent. I am even considering getting one myself.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Bit of useless trivia. I think the Norgie packs, were actually made for the norwegian army by Bergans.

849.2010.1-2%20(2).jpg

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
I disagree the Norwegian pack is superbly comfortable particularly with weight. The german pack is much smaller and I found the straps uncomfortable. I can only talk from personal experience.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Bit of useless trivia. I think the Norgie packs, were actually made for the norwegian army by Bergans.

That is correct.
It was the standard issue rucksack when I did my national service in 1989/90. When I did my last period in the forces for the Kosovo deplyment in 2000, it was not issued to us.

Rune

Last edited:

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
I disagree the Norwegian pack is superbly comfortable particularly with weight. The german pack is much smaller and I found the straps uncomfortable. I can only talk from personal experience.

Me too, but perhaps you are one of a select few that has a back that fits it. Anyway, I just may aquire one myself for nostalgic reasons. It looks cool, and as I said, with me it's fine for day trips etc. And you'd be surprised how much kit it can room.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE