Northern Wilderness, your thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The Oz series were good but I've no huge ambition to go live there. Things bite, sting and generally try to mess up your day all around you there lol.

Yeah, but at least the very air itself isn't trying to suck the life from you... ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Well I'll give you that Geo. Though the air in Oz will leave you a dried ( slightly gnawed ) husk in pretty short time.:yikes:

Must say I always prefer to be too cold rather than too hot. you can always put on more clothing I think, but there's only so much you can take off :naughty: But that may just be the mean east coast put a jumper on laddie Calvanist in me coming out. :D

But as you know I'm pretty well naturally insulated anyway.

TTFN
Colin

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
for my two cents, I think it is a very interesting series, to learn of the pioneers from our own country, who were the first to realise the importance of learning from indigenous peoples, and applying these skills to further our own national\corporate interests and the future exploitation of the natural resources of Canada, But as a history of the beginings of our learning of bushcraft and the recording of knowledge of first nation peoples,brilliant! (I do like Mearsy and his great productions i`m just grumpy today,)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I enjoyed the story Of Dr Rae, shame what happened to him. look what happens when you tell the truth.

Its been a relaxed series so far. Easy to watch and listen to.

My favourite Ray show though has to be the Four seasons one he did.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Been a while since I posted..........busy don't cha know.....

anyway......Ray....excellent, well presented, well shot, well directed.......a good mix of bushcraft, history and social documentation.

Remembering the series is not only aimed at the likes of ourselves who may very well like to see more bushcraft skills but also the more general public.

For a sedate, calm sort of chap, his passion realy came across in the later episode and the effort put into the research must have been considerable.

I have only one gripe, that being the construction of the igloo......I don't think it was a very good example, having said that....it probably displays the fact that it isn't the everyday abode it once was and individual skills may not therefore be what they once where! (see "Nanook of the North" if you ever get the chance). However, it was still a perfectly functional shelter.

Smoggy

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I enjoyed the story Of Dr Rae, shame what happened to him. look what happens when you tell the truth.

Its been a relaxed series so far. Easy to watch and listen to.

My favourite Ray show though has to be the Four seasons one he did.

best of the Bushcraft series, followed by Canoe trip, then Sweden.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Been a while since I posted..........busy don't cha know.....

anyway......Ray....excellent, well presented, well shot, well directed.......a good mix of bushcraft, history and social documentation.

Remembering the series is not only aimed at the likes of ourselves who may very well like to see more bushcraft skills but also the more general public.

For a sedate, calm sort of chap, his passion realy came across in the later episode and the effort put into the research must have been considerable.

I have only one gripe, that being the construction of the igloo......I don't think it was a very good example, having said that....it probably displays the fact that it isn't the everyday abode it once was and individual skills may not therefore be what they once where! (see "Nanook of the North" if you ever get the chance). However, it was still a perfectly functional shelter.

Smoggy

Still looked a lot better then the Igloo, me and 3 other classmates made in grade 9 Outdoor Education class. ( It worked though! )

I love the scenery I have to say he makes great documentary's but the problem with it is for those that are into bushcraft it is sadly lacking but the scenery is awesome but little bushcraft but then those of us that have been doing this for so long their really is not much new stuff to learn anyways sure the odd nugget hear and their just to keep the interest up but really we should be the ones teaching others cant let ray have all the fun does he even go out with a few buddy's into the bush anymore or is he becoming a hermit these days other than doing the odd documentery....

Now what would be fun is if he just took some shots with a digital camera like the
rest of us do and put a few of em on youtube now that would be fun he could actually show us some stuff we never thought about doing yet well we can dream at least LOL....

5.10leader

I was a little disappointed when the series started, probably because I was expecting more "technical" content. However, as the series has progressed I have enjoyed it more. It certainly is more relaxed than earlier offerings but that probably represents more mature presentation. There are many other presenters who could take a few pointers from Ray.

With regards to earlier series I do agree that the Bushcraft Survival programme were particularly good although I did enjoy series 2 more. It is difficult to pick a favourite but if pushed I would pick the North America episode closely followed by Sweden.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As seen in my other replies I love the series but if you actually read Samuel Hearne's own writings things were not all rosy with the locals.

Yes, he indeed took to native 'bushcraft' methods, but the first nation were not always the noble warrior and the HBC were not always the safe and honest bet for the local traders. His writings talk of drunkenness and rape, theft and cheating.

I'm in no way knocking Hearne, he is a long standing hero of mine but would say that if your interested in this period of Canadian history to do a little reading (and still please enjoy the series).

Good start here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Mariner-Adventures-Coleridges-Masterpiece/dp/0786713046

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
As seen in my other replies I love the series but if you actually read Samuel Hearne's own writings things were not all rosy with the locals.

Yes, he indeed took to native 'bushcraft' methods, but the first nation were not always the noble warrior and the HBC were not always the safe and honest bet for the local traders. His writings talk of drunkenness and rape, theft and cheating.

I'm in no way knocking Hearne, he is a long standing hero of mine but would say that if your interested in this period of Canadian history to do a little reading (and still please enjoy the series).

Good start here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancient-Mariner-Adventures-Coleridges-Masterpiece/dp/0786713046

Thanks, in fact I plan to pick up his book this weekend.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It seems to be getting better and better as the series continues and Ray gets into his stride. I love the blend of history and wilderness skills but am frustrated by the way that RM and the folk he gets to show how things are done makes it all seem so easy and natural! I suppose it's all down to practice and editing.

RM is a very persuasive historian and has an extremely good eye for a story, as well as the ability to tell it well. As for Canada - book me on the next flight out there! What a stunning - and vast - country. I've only ever gone there to ski but following on from this, there's a whole new range of things to do and places to go.

I feel that this series is so much better than the one in Australia. When the DVDs come out, they're certainly going to be added to the collection; the book is already on my Christmas list.

Top series.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
Enjoyable viewing, having been there on several occasions it makes me lust for another adventure.....now where did I leave my passport.

Quote (Survival Bill)

I love the scenery I have to say he makes great documentary's but the problem with it is for those that are into bushcraft it is sadly lacking but the scenery is awesome but little bushcraft but then those of us that have been doing this for so long their really is not much new stuff to learn anyways sure the odd nugget hear and their just to keep the interest up but really we should be the ones teaching others cant let ray have all the fun does he even go out with a few buddy's into the bush anymore or is he becoming a hermit these days other than doing the odd documentery....

..........................................................................................Really:eek:

ganstey

Settler
I agree with most others... wonderful photography, great relaxed style of presentation, and some coverage of indigenous skills. I wasn't expecting much in the way of practical skills, so wasn't disappointed. As others have said, its been done a hundred times before. I'm really enjoying the series, and will definitely go back and watch them again at some point. Definitely worth the TV license fee!

Although it is very light on practical skills, it did enthuse me enough to have another go lighting my Kelly Kettle using just a Ferro rod. And I managed it this time (using cotton wool as a tinder) :red:

Think I may have missed one of the episodes though :confused:

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE