Northern Wilderness, your thoughts?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
dr jones, Rays messenger/shoulder bag as you call it is an australian army (auscam) butt pack with shoulder strap and attached auscam water bottle pouch of which the latter he sells on his website. These buttpacks are identical design to u.s army buttpacks except the dpm material being auscam or jellybean pattern. Hope this helps. Regards daz

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Another excellent programme. Let's hope he finishes in similar form.

That picture of him in a suit unveiling the David Thompson plaque: He brushes up alright, doesn't he?!

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Did Ray not have another one in Olive Green? Must take another look again tonight... It caught my eye too...

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Quote; Another excellent programme. Let's hope he finishes in similar form.

That picture of him in a suit unveiling the David Thompson plaque: He brushes up alright, doesn't he?! Quote

I thought he looked well uncomfortable in that suit, it was like the suit was wearing him! Another great episode in my opinon...

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
So the "Must Have RM kit" is going to be a suit and hair gel????????

If you watch the repeat again this evening you will remind yourself that it will need to be a suit you bought 15 years ago and seldom wear, doesn't quite fit and a 'play safe' white shirt with a collar size about 1/2" too tight.
Ray clearly doesn't like wearing suits. Can't blame him - neither do I (I once had an animated conversation with a female colleague about how ties were a form of male emasculation. I was only playing, but she took it so seriously and got all feminist about things that I had to argue the point just to wind her up a little bit more. Joyless people like that deserve it).

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you watch the repeat again this evening you will remind yourself that it will need to be a suit you bought 15 years ago and seldom wear, doesn't quite fit and a 'play safe' white shirt with a collar size about 1/2" too tight.

I got mine then - double breasted bottle green polyester!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I'm really enjoying this series! I like the passion for what he's talking about. Something which really came across when I went to him at A Journey with Ray Mears.

I also got the book: Journey to the Northern Ocean: The Adventures of Samuel Hearne. It only arrived yesterday, but if the 50 or so pages I've read so far it's going to be a great read.

I realy dont like downloading videos from the internet.

In that case buy the DVD when it comes out. I've had it pre ordered for about 6 weeks.

A down side for some is the lack of kit on show to lust after perhaps?

He's doing a good job for his SFA!

rancid badger

I have to confess, that I had lost interest in Ray Mears TV work, over the last couple of years.

However, this latest series has caught my imagination once more and I'm happy to admit; that I am eagerly awaiting the delivery of the DVD.

The final episode, was on a par with the second for me, both being superb as far as I was concerned. The rest of the series was certainly watchable, at least far more so than 'Wild Food' or 'Walkabout'.

I still hanker, for a series based on UK prehistory/archaeology/trad crafts however, which would make a fantastic showcase for the many and varied, highly skilled, crafts-people across our land, as opposed to repeatedly telling us how great the traditional crafts-people are everywhere else:confused:

A good effort and beautifully done;)

cheers

R.B.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Here you go Robin

Nice one thanks for that, just watched episode 6 since I have always been most impressed with West coast culture, it really only touched the tip of the iceberg of craft skills there but I enjoyed it anyway.

I keep my knives in a cedar canoe bailer just like the one RM made, well it's rather better actually, made by a friend I'll put some pics up tomorrow.

The bentwood boxes are simply incredible, shame they didn't take the time to show steaming and bending one of those. I'd have liked to see a bit about the red white and black paint too it is such a feature of the artwork there, instantly recognisable, what pigments did they use? Would have been nice to see some folk who could really do it using adzes and knives carving a totem, mask or bowl. And I would have liked to learn more about the different tribes and how their cultures varied.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE