North wood meet 16 - 19 december 3 night christmas special

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The badgers willl be fine with it. As there will be no freshly fallen leaves all about at that time it wll be easier to have a good go at tracking them and finding the optimum spots. We probably won't need to put it near the sett as badgers use the same paths night after night. I found another outlying sett after you left Stu, as well as a possible fox earth. I'll bring some plaster of paris so we can get some good casts.... and a bucket load of peanuts and a tin of dog food too.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
I'm thinking of coming along to this as my first outing with the forum. I've no real skills or experience (yet) but I've loads of enthusiasm. Do you get many novices turning up lads? Also, a question that betrays my naievty perhaps, but whats involved with raising a fire off the ground? Would I need to bring something or can you get what you need in the woods??

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm thinking of coming along to this as my first outing with the forum. I've no real skills or experience (yet) but I've loads of enthusiasm. Do you get many novices turning up lads? Also, a question that betrays my naievty perhaps, but whats involved with raising a fire off the ground? Would I need to bring something or can you get what you need in the woods??

No experience necessary at all. Loads of novices so don't worry about that. To raise a fire off the ground you need something to hold it in, Tank uses this...

DSC08436.jpg

.. but you can use loads of thigs.

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Woodspirits
JonathanD
shaggystu (maybe + 1)
MartinK9
Sasquatch
Andy2112
Nolightweight
Twodogs TBC
Tank (1 night TBC)
SimonD (1 or 2 nights TBC)

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com

welcome simond
were all novices to some extent, just come and enjoy yourself :) as to the fire make it in any kind of non-combustable container, the idea being to keep the heat off the ground so it doesnt scorch and bake the earth and the ashes can be disposed of neatly, either that or bring a gas ring :D

steve

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
One of the simplest raised and contained fires that I've seen is the modified collinder as previously used by Wallenstein - for safety, the collinder is bolted to the bowl.

14-1.jpg

From this thread.

Most BBQ's are raised fire pits :cool: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
That's a brilliant idea. And with a wing nut, it would be easy to take apart and carry.

Simple but effective :cool: . I should have mentioned that it isn't Wallenstein's design and that I'm none too sure who had the original thought - iirc it came to this forum via SOTP. And yes, it's usually a bolt and wing-nut affair ;) .

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Cheers lads. I was thinking, I pulled out some sheets of stainless steel from a house I was replacing a floor in, 4 in total, measuring about 30cm x 50cm each, I might try to rig something with these as they would pack pretty flat. If not then the collinder is a winner:35:

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Woodspirits
JonathanD
shaggystu (maybe + 1)
MartinK9
Sasquatch
Andy2112
Nolightweight
Twodogs TBC
Tank (1 night TBC)
SimonD (1 or 2 nights TBC)
Karl82 (2 nights will try for 3)

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
So for my raised fire i'm thinking of using an old wok bolted to a Mixing bowl with a wingnut as it would be larger than a collinder. Would it be better with holes drilled through the wok for air flow? My new tarp has arrived today as well and i think the meet will be my first chance to try it out, so any experienced tarp users who want to give me some pointers at the meet, feel free :)

I'm pretty excited now having persuaded the wife that you're not a load of nutters :rolleyes: and that i'll be perfectly fine. Although driving cross country at rush hour on a friday a week before christmas ain't going to be fun.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Hey simond i had my first ever meet last weekend in theis woods dont worry only badgers making noise to wake you if you near their set like i was. i was new to hammocks and tarps only ever camped in tents befor and their was a bunch of freindly helpfull guys Andy2112 AndyT Muddyboots aka Dave and Tank aka Tim to name just a few.

Last edited:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
''I'm pretty excited now having persuaded the wife that you're not a load of nutters and that i'll be perfectly fine.''

of course you will ... (he he he )

oh and yes, put some holes in a two or three inches up from the bottom

Last edited:

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
Nice one Karl. I'm really looking forward to it mate. I'm going to be using my tarp as an extended living area/porch for my tent as its a gelert solo and pretty tiny. I've also got a couple of options for a raised fire, going to try the wok/mixing bowl combo this afternoon..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE