North Wales / Cheshire etc. Social ?

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Does anyone from the North Wales / Cheshire / Wirral / whatever area fancy an afternoon or full day just to walk, talk and maybe visit a quiet pub or something?

I know most of us are itching to get out and camp (me for one!), but I also like just meeting people and spending time doing daytime stuff as well.

Post if you're interested and maybe we can sort out a saturday in the next few weeks to go walking in the woods or over the hills?

Looking forward to meeting some of you...

Dominic.

Reactions: Goose

corr

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2006
crewe, cheshire
Year this sounds good to me I’m still pretty new to this and at the minet am finding places on the map and going to see if they may be worth going to in a few weeks so any advise on were to go would be very help full but a good walk followed by a pub lunch is good to, I am from Crewe / Cheshire :)

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
John Dixon said:
im up for that, sounds good. any ideas on the venue?

OK - since we have a mix of English and Welsh up for this, presumably the North Wales borderlands would be a good bet (suits me here in Flintshire!!)

I'm busy next Saturday, but how about Sat 17th Feb or Sat 24th Feb??

Ideally it would be kid friendly (for me anyway)

I'm still fairly new to this area, so either someone could make a suggestion for a venue, or leave it to me to make a suggestion... for example Loggerheads country park between Mold and Ruthin... something like that? The vale of Clwyd is not far away either (gorgeous!)... what do you guys fancy?

Stay in touch and we'll sort a good little day out together!

Take care friends,

Dom.

Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
logger heads is good for me few nice little pubs round that way too! saturdays are best for me at the moment, but also im interested in possibly doing a night walk up mole fammau just for a bit of fun!!!

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
sounds good. saturdays are usually out for me as the daughter has swimming lessons on sat morning, but i could possible make either. (17th prefered as nights on 23rd :rolleyes: ) sundays would be better for me at the moment, as shift pattern means i'm off weekends for the next couple of weeks.

or any other time you fancy a walk pm me, always up for a ramble, shifts allowing ;)

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
any other preferences for 17th or 24th?

i could do either but could start earlier on the 24th. I'll be free from about 11-12 on the 17th (unless I can re-schedule)

as soon as we have an agreed time we can sort who can definately make it and sort directions etc to those who need them.

Let me know ASAP and we'll sort the detail.

Dom.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I could probably make this one too!
Is there a firm date, time and venue yet?
Loggerheads is good for me and either date.
And is it worth giving a PMR radio channel for anyone that arrives late(lots of people have them now and easier/safer than mobile numbers!), ever tried to find bushcrafters in the woods :theyareon ?
Your call Dom you got the ball rolling :D .

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
OK... so far we have the following:

Venue - Loggerheads country park, Flintshire

Date - Sat 17th Feb 2007

Time - start probably mid-morning, depending on who's coming and how far they're travelling. Suggest 10 - 10.30AM provisional?

Duration - I would imagine until sunset (around 5-6?) although a further night hike up Moel Fammau has been suggested and we could tag that on as well (for those that are able)

Activities - Basically just a good day out bimbling in the woods, pub lunch (or picnic if you fancy), playing with sticks, whittling, sharing stories and experiences, feel free to bring anything to muck about with.

People - so far the following are pretty certain: Backyard Bushcraft, Aragorn, Corr, Goose. Hoping to are Dubbs OTT and John Dixon. Feel free to bring like minded friends (I'll try to as well)

Contact / meetup point - I'll post the postcode of a suitable meeting point when I've found one. I shall also investigate mobile reception at the site. I know nothing about the radio stuff but if you want to take the lead on that one, Goose, lead on mate!

If no-one has any objections I'll work on a 10-10.30 start.

Lastly - a word about sharps - as most of you will know it is illegal to carry a folding blade of more than 3" or ANY fixed or locking blade without good reason in a public place... Loggerheads is very public, but it is plausible that practising bushcraft techniques is a justifiable reason... possibly? :dunno: I'm not going to take charge but I will say THINK CAREFULLY about it, and be prepared to take responsibility for your own decisions. (rant over!)

Will post meet point and time very soon.

Dom.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Looking good!
The suggestion for the radios is for the UK PMR type, motorola and the like, I will suggest channel 1, with sub channel 2. I will carry one on this channel if it comes in handy it does and if it doesn't it doesn't! I have gone to a few meets and have spent time following the smell of woodsmoke through the woods until I stepped on someone, usually Graham_S! It is a bit better than anyone arriving a little late walking through the woods shouting hello or whistling every couple of minutes.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Meet up point will be Loggerheads Country Park car park / outdoor shop.

I will be in a 1978 Green Landrover with spotlights and roof bars, reg no. VOV***S. I'll also PM my mobile number to all those coming.

Time 10.00am to start walking at 10.30am

Post Code = CH5 5LH

OS grid ref (Landranger 116 - Denbigh & Colwyn Bay) 197625

Directions from the North (most of us I presume):

From the A55 coast road, take the A494 towards Mold, carry on towards Ruthin, Loggerheads village is between Mold and Ruthin and is clearly signposted. The country park is just before the texaco garage on the right hand side. There is a pub opposite (on the left hand side) :D

Directions from the South:

From Ruthin, take the A494 to Mold. As you enter Loggerheads village, the park is on the left just after the texaco garage.

The pub serves food all day from 12.00, but is often busy. We can group book a lunchtime slot when we arrive if we want to. Lunch is about a tenner. The texaco garage has a shop that sells all sorts, so sandwiches, choccy, drinks etc can be bought there if need be. Both pub abd garage have toilet facilities.

Plan for the day (subject to what you guys want to do) would be to meet up at 10.00, book lunch if need be, go for a short wander and explore, have lunch, go for a longer explore after lunch until sunset at about 5.00 - 6.00. We could then split into 2 groups - those with kids can take them home for tea, and those without can stay on for night time stuff (night hike up moel fammau, cook tea on trangias, that sort of thing).

Car parks at the country park and at the base of moel fammau are both pay and display, so bring change.

Look forward to seeing you there - can't wait :red:

Dom.

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Dom, hope you are well. just a quick word, not sure about the Country park car parks, but the one on the lower and upper car parks on Moel Fammau are shut at a given time. Not sure of these times as, I think they vary with the seasons, but know of people being "locked in " if they miss the cut off. Maybe a phonecall?? Hope I can make it Saturday, Thanks, Andy...

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
Andy J said:
Dom, hope you are well. just a quick word, not sure about the Country park car parks, but the one on the lower and upper car parks on Moel Fammau are shut at a given time. Not sure of these times as, I think they vary with the seasons, but know of people being "locked in " if they miss the cut off. Maybe a phonecall?? Hope I can make it Saturday, Thanks, Andy...

You're quite right Andy... sorry - forgot to mention that!

Worth checking the signs as we arrive, and anyone planning to stay late can park up the road a bit or something.

Dom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE