north to the cape trail

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
Hi!
in a few days I will be flying to Scotland (sure hope glasgow airport will be open) to hike part of the north to the cape long distance path. I will start at fort william and walk it for 5 to 7 days, depending on weather and personal fitness.

Does anyone have any experience with it? It is supposed to be one of the most remote trails around in Scotland and I am really looking forward to it.
As far as I can see I should be able to find plenty of water sources, some bothies along the way and of course some amazing spots to camp.
But the only guidance I have comes from a guide which is quite old.

any advice on the route and such is welcome!

Joeri

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2006
Netherlands
www.niceisotherwise.nl
thanks for the tips!
I have the cicerone guide already, but it is a bit dated. Of course the landscape is far older than the guide, so I do not expect issues there.
I know of the site. It is really helpfull and gives some good insights.

I was just wondering if any of you have recently been around the area? I came across a few posts about the Sourlies bothy, which really sounds nice... I plan to hike at least to shiel bridge and depending on the time and energy me and my GF have left we will push on to Achnashellach train station. The total of the planned trip is around 80 to 120 km in 7 days (including at least one day of rest).

Daily distance to hike varies from 13 to 22 km. But I do not have a clue what a realistic distance is, because of the terrain. Here in the Netherlands we do 20 - 30 km a day, but it is mostly flat terrain and well maintained roads. A few years back we did offa's dyke (border of England and Wales) and there we had an average of about 15 - 20 km a day. I expect this terrain to be a bit harder and be a bit slower...

@Shewie: I think I can consider myself an average joe, so I'll test the time it takes the upcoming week. But I won't have time for the whole trail...

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I think I'm going to do the whole thing next autumn, probably take 12 - 14 days, backpacking, but with food and fuel caches along the route.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think I'm going to do the whole thing next autumn, probably take 12 - 14 days, backpacking, but with food and fuel caches along the route.

I've spent the afternoon at work looking at various sites, I'm thinking the same myself.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Joeri

Not done the route myself, but I know the Highlands well. From the description you'll be on routes through the mountains rather than over them, though some of the passes can be upto 500m or so. I think this route links existing paths to form a long distance one. Most of the hill trails are good though they can be boggy, there won't usually be any markings though you may get the occasional green sign.
Depending on your fitness you should still do 20 km a day. Use 4km a hour and 1 minute per 10 meters of ascent as a rough guide to time estimation.
Many of the Bothies are good but basic shelter, consider taking some firelighting equipment any wood you find is likely to be damp.
The weather is very much 'four seasons in one day' at the moment, I was out last Saturday and it was snowing at 700m later the sun came out and it very warm!
I hope you have a great trip! Hope this helps Ed

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
Never heard of that trail, but when working up in fortwilliam many yrs ago as a delivery driver for that area. I wondered why they're was a huge amount of walkers around Banavie, you have the Moorings Hotel in Banavie beside Neptune’s Staircase Locks. http://www.moorings-fortwilliam.co.uk. Nice little hotel with bar/food to help kick the walk off :D Would be an awesome walk to do next yr :D
Good luck with the trip, afterpics please too ;)

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
I live here, just down from the Cape. :) We get lots of walkers and campers here most of the year (I did think the campers heading for the hills and moors in the winter we just had a leeetle crazy though!)
The terrain can be challenging, I guess, depending on your level of fitness but you sound ok there. :)
If you get near Sandwood, give us a shout! We`ll put the kettle on. :D
And good luck with it...am biased of course but this is one of the most beautiful, remote parts of the Highlands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE