Status
Not open for further replies.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Eric_Methven said:
Spoony, don't worry about tools. I'm bringing a workshop in the back of my van. I have enough tools for everyone to have a go at whatever they fancy. If you like what you try and want to do more, I can give you contact details of where you can get tools for yourself. I'm bringing a pole lathe and tools, a shave horse and drawknives, spoon carving knives and spoon holding jigs, leather and awls, needles and linen thread, and plenty other tools to just about make anything from wood.

I'd like to have a go at flint knapping if I have time. Going on the last two meets I attended I'll be rushed off my feet and in constant demand the whole time - I don't mind though, it's one of the reasons I love teaching this stuff. The smile on people's faces when they make something new for the fist time just lights me up inside and I float along for hours. I'm on a high for days after a meet.

As far as people stating what they want to do, I reckon we should just see who turns up and take it from there. For instance, if ten people want to make a sheath for their knife, I'll just get ten sets of needles out and ten awls and do a demo so people see what to do, then go round doing one to one when people get stuck. If only two want to do it, that's fine too.

Let's remember it's a fun weekend, and while the opportunity will be there to learn stuff, nothing is compulsory and people can chill out by the campfire and natter the whole weekend if they wish.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned though is a show and tell. For those not familiar with the term, it's a chance to show off your kit. All of us to a man (or woman) will want to have a peek at what kit you all have, how you may have modified it or what you use to do stuff that maybe it wasn't designed for. Last time people were interested in my new hammock and tarp and I put it up and took it down at least five times to show people the quick release knots I used

I'll also be bringing a swap table, so if you have any bushcrafty stuff to swap or sell bring it along and put it on the table with a note saying what you want for it.

On the subject of communal cooking, I did the communal meals on the first Scottish meet. It was fun as we had Sandbender's kitchen and Aga cooker to cook on. Because it'll be dark at about six thirty, I'd suggest a communal midday meal. We make our own breakfast and supper. I'd also suggest a total exclusion zone around the cooking area except for the chef and his helpers. I find nothing worse than trying to cook a meal over a campfire and loads of people planting themselves round the fire asking when the grub's going to be ready.

Just some thoughts.

Eric

Cheers Eric, cant wait, im like a big kid waiting for xmas,

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
"Because it'll be dark at about six thirty, I'd suggest a communal midday meal. We make our own breakfast and supper."

I was thinking the same thing too.

This might help peeps keep track of numbers:

Wayland
Goose
Graham S
led + 1
bloodline
outdoorcode
Razorstrop
Eric Methven
Bumblebee
JimH
scruff + 2
morch + 2
Grooveski
Scout
redcollective
Scally
running bare + 1
Big Geordie
big lizard
bike thing
Spoony + 1

peds8045?
Simon waites?
Nyayo?
gaz_miggy?

28 defo's by my count plus 4 maybe's.

Please correct me if I'm wrong guys n gals.

Am looking forward to it :headbang:

ps. Wayland & red collective :You_Rock_

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
scruff said:
"Because it'll be dark at about six thirty, I'd suggest a communal midday meal. We make our own breakfast and supper."

I was thinking the same thing too.

This might help peeps keep track of numbers:

Wayland
Goose
Graham S
led
bloodline
outdoorcode
Razorstrop
Eric Methven
Bumblebee
JimH
scruff + 2
morch
Grooveski
Scout
redcollective
Scally
running bare + 1
Big Geordie
big lizard
bike thing + 1
Spoony

peds8045?
Simon waites?
Nyayo?
gaz_miggy?

25 defo's by my count plus 4 maybe's.

Please correct me if I'm wrong guys n gals.

Am looking forward to it :headbang:

ps. Wayland & red collective :You_Rock_

Spoony +1 the misses is quite keen as well if thats ok

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
running bare said:
hi eric and spoony. 2 questions, 1st eric did you say you wanted some flint taking to the meet? if so ive a couple of bits i picked up not sure if its any good not sure what im looking for but it looks like flint.
2nd spoony where abouts in tin & wire ru??just curious as most members seem to be from down souffff. or up in scotland :) :) :)

south shields, i see you arnt to far away then

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
spoony said:
cheers eric that sounds better, but what about the likes of myself, i have no wood carving tools?? wouldnt know where to start

It's not impossible there may be the odd loaner about... :lmao:

Jim.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
bikething said:
When did I become a +1 :confused:

Just me on me todd :(

:11doh: oops my bad.

don't worry there'll be plenty other to keep u company :grouphug:

....or leave you in "peace" :240: (oh i jus love this smiilie!) if u'd prefer :)

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
This is all sounding like it will be loads of fun. I'm too tired now to folllowing the who's doing what of this thread but if it makes any difference I'll pitch in whatever is required in terms of contributions and will happily wash-up! Does this site have water or should we all bring some? Sadly couldn't convince the wife/superforager/baker/jam maker to come along.

Here's the deal - someone make the bannock and I'll provide a jar of this season's Blackberry jam. :D

Given there should be a fair amount of activity on the site with us lot there is there a plan for keeping non-bcuk folk out of harms way - I'm thinking here of things like tool-use and fire etc. Are the camp ground owners okay with cutting tools on site? I'll be bringing something handy for making my breakfast but that's about it.

I'll be up there on saturday morning *fingers crossed*, leaving Sunday evening. Looking forward to meeting you all; as I've not met anyone from BCUK - I'll be the beardy ginger aussie!

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Is the camp site owner informed about that we are, well how do I put it, slightly different from the "normal" campers? When Eric starts unloading his truck more than one person is going to be surprised...

Also I guess that camo-clothing should be avoided as far as possible.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Bumblebee said:
Is the camp site owner informed about that we are, well how do I put it, slightly different from the "normal" campers? When Eric starts unloading his truck more than one person is going to be surprised...

Also I guess that camo-clothing should be avoided as far as possible.
Only slightly unusual?
What about removing half a swedish regiments worth of kit from the back of a volvo? :lmao:

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
Well, I do have a Toyota :p, but it will be a bootload of gear to hand out :rolleyes:! Our Volvo is waiting for us for when we move back to Sweden, it is currently stored in a barn.

Goose said:
Only slightly unusual?
What about removing half a swedish regiments worth of kit from the back of a volvo?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes the site owners know we are bushcrafters and have watched plent of RM on TV.

That's about all I can do really, Now it's down to us to be responsible and impress the socks off em.

I think providing we stick to their rule about no noise after 10.30pm we should have no problem.

gaz_miggy

Forager
Sep 23, 2005
Hereford
hey im deffonatly going and mabe + 1 to. what how many people are using tarps cuz if its a small wood theres going to be one on evry tree well 2. we could name it tarp land and all dress up as erm tarps or mabe not.

JoshG

Nomad
Sep 23, 2005
Stockton-on-tees, England.
Hey folks, I think I will be coming with my best mate Murr and his girlfriend Amy. I'm very shy though so if I don't look too sociable then don't take it the wrong way!
I'll be in a tent (Not because i'm a softie :p simply because I have no hammock/tarp and we're a bit strapped for cash at the moment).

One last thing, what are the rules on alcohol? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE