Norse 'Birka' Belt Pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey folks, here is one of my latest pouches based on the Birka archaeological finds

Made with Seal hide, with an elk hide gusset, and reindeer hide trim, all stuff I took back from Norway. Hand saddle-stitched with artificial sinew and a few copper rivets bashed in

CIMG5611 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG5609 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG5615 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Really enjoyed the construction on this, may make a few more in regular veg tan in the future if I can find the time :)

Thanks for looking

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Looking great Hamish,
Another design added to the lovely range you already have and your work seems to be getting better and better. Something I didn't think possible after seeing your previous work. Really stunning stuff. How's it feel to be back? Selfishly looking forward to seeing your work again, though I fear your hearts in Norway now.
Good to have you back,
Colin.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Its always nice to work with different leather's and see how they work , you know what i mean.

Very nice mate.

Topknot

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Thanks fellas :)

The sealhide is amazing stuff! It is nice and thick at around 5-6mm, incredibly tough, but it is also soft and really flexible. I don't have much less so haven't decided yet if I am going to make more of these pouches or something bigger. May just save it for turnshoe soles who knows

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your not from a family known to be descended from the Selkie, are you? (McOdurums, McPhees...Though there are Irish ones too.)

If you are, its best you think carefully about the consequences of inadvetent transformation before you use something made of sealskin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE