Leather Dog Harness and other things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Our wee Maggie asked for a new harness for yule, so I decided to make her a new one as an early present. It is thick vegetable tanned cowhide with soft sealskin straps, all fitted with sturdy copper rivets and hand-stitched with sinew, and wet-formed pockets so she can carry her own jobby bags and pocket money. I hope you like it as much as she does :)

CIMG6417 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG6418 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

CIMG6419 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000081 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000091 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000094 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

I also finished these bracers this week, for a member of this forum

WP_000038 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

And made a new sheath for my driftwoodwalker necker. There was nothing wrong with the sheath supplied, I just prefer making my own. This one has a horizontal carry belt slip or can be worn as a neck sheath.

WP_000051 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

WP_000050 by HamishOdinson, on Flickr

Thanks for reading

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Well now, ain't Maggie the lucky dog, eh? She's looking great in her new kit mate.........Did you make a Spaniel-sized one as well? :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Awsome mate she's a great looking dog, what's she keeping in her two little saddle bags, I presume a small knife and a fire steel! Well done chap great to see a new idea

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Superb work on the harness - that is unreal. You really need to get that kind of thing in a posh London shop. It would sell for a fortune.

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
i thought that too red....and fairs like the CLA Game Show....seriously dready, at shows like that with that kinda stock you would be hauling it in m8...HAULING IT IN....

s

Superb work on the harness - that is unreal. You really need to get that kind of thing in a posh London shop. It would sell for a fortune.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
That is some seriously impressive stuff, I like the photography as well shows it in a good way.

Dreadhead

thanks folks :) It's a nice little walking advertisement too! Really chuffed with it myself, am thinking of making more due to the response I have had here and on facebook. Hopefully find some time after xmas to produce a few :)

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London

i thought that too red....and fairs like the CLA Game Show....seriously dready, at shows like that with that kinda stock you would be hauling it in m8...HAULING IT IN....

s

I've been trying to get him down to the Sloane Square meet.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Nice work Hamish. The harness, has what looks to be a "handle" on it, is this for lifting the dog ?. When I was a handler, I worked mine on a harness(nothing as posh as yours !), but I also carried a specific lifting harness for when I needed the spaniel to work at heights we had to climb up to, its something in my opinion that should be on a harness.

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Stunning stuff Hamish, saw it on FB and thought - you'll be inundated with offers for that. Maggie looks chuffed to have her harness on. Snoop my mutt wasn't sure of a harness and panier system at first but loved it as he knew we were heading off for a long trip when it came out. Carried his food, blanket, towel, colapsable bowls and bottle of bubbles (he loved bubbles) in his bags.
Though must say I'm sure he'd rather have had your set on, he had taste that dog.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Great stuff Hamish - do one with molle on it to suit the tacticool brigade - they can then add as many pouches to their pooches as they like! Don't let small children confuse it for a saddle tho'

Dreadhead

Nice work Hamish. The harness, has what looks to be a "handle" on it, is this for lifting the dog ?. When I was a handler, I worked mine on a harness(nothing as posh as yours !), but I also carried a specific lifting harness for when I needed the spaniel to work at heights we had to climb up to, its something in my opinion that should be on a harness.

Rob

Thanks! Aye a handle is a must for us, as she is a rescue dog and has trouble with small children, or on occasion has been attacked by other dogs in urban areas. We like to have a handle so we can lift her up out of any naughty business for the safety of others and her own

Stunning stuff Hamish, saw it on FB and thought - you'll be inundated with offers for that. Maggie looks chuffed to have her harness on. Snoop my mutt wasn't sure of a harness and panier system at first but loved it as he knew we were heading off for a long trip when it came out. Carried his food, blanket, towel, colapsable bowls and bottle of bubbles (he loved bubbles) in his bags.
Though must say I'm sure he'd rather have had your set on, he had taste that dog.

haha love it! Maggie has a thing about chasing balloons, must put some in her pockets along with her pocket money ;)

Great stuff Hamish - do one with molle on it to suit the tacticool brigade - they can then add as many pouches to their pooches as they like! Don't let small children confuse it for a saddle tho'

if i could only bring myself to work with the stuff! it would look cool as a tactical dog. We did have a molle-type one for her which was for service dogs. I called it her stab-vest :lmao:

Think we must share some kind of mind meld or something. I was only talking to a friend the other day about making a harness with pouches on!

That's a beaut though mate :)

Orric

Nice one, they are a lot of fun man, get it done :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE