Norrona gear

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Hi, this is my first post, so appologies if this isn't the correct place to ask such things, but I was wondering if anybody knew where the cheapest place to buy Norrona gear is or more specifically their Recon Jacket and trousers?

Anybody have this kit? Is it suitable for all year round use in the UK?

Cheers
Geoff

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hi Geoff

I don't own the Norrona kit but I have seen it in the flesh so to speak and it is very high quality kit that will easily cope with winter conditions in the UK. I haven't seen it for sale in many places so can't help with the cheapest outlets.

However, it seems to me it is vastly overpriced for what you get. If you can get some kind of a deal on it then it might be worthwhile but I would be looking to pay around 50% to 60% of the prices quoted above for equivalent waterproofs from another manufacturer.

Check out some of the stuff from mountain equpment or lowe alpine. Both quality manufacturers who are much cheaper than Norrona.

Welcome to BCUK by the way.

George

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Thanks peeps, I kinda just stumbled upon this website and its like a breath of fresh air.

Sorry I dont have a cool mystic/bushcraft related user name like most people on here seem to have! My friends call me MrBubbles or Geoffrey Bubbles, but nobody seems to know why and its gone on so long its kinda stuck!

Anyway, yeah, I saw it on the RayMears site and thought it looked really good, but would never pay that kinda money, just thought there might be somewhere it could be bought for a sensible price.

What alternatives would you recommend. I use waterproof overtrousers normally, but didn't want the hassle in my next long trip of having to change in and out of them all the time and my current waterproof is getting on a bit now.

When I get time I will look forward to reading through some of the stuf I've missed :)

Cheers
Geoff

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
If you are looking for something for all day wear that you don't need to take on and off as a shell then I really rate the Paramo/nikwax analogy kit.

A little heavier than the lighterweight goretex etc. stuff, but it has a number of advantages over them that I think outweighs the weight difference.

In winter I tend to wear the trousers all the time - not just put on as overtrousers, and I wear them next to my skin or with a thin thermal layer in very cold weather.

Have a look here http://shop.themountainfactor.com/p...c=97&jssCart=bc699c1a6f8af54de92ed244856b9196 these guys are doing some very good deals if you're the right size.

George

Adrian M

Aug 25, 2005
To close to London !!
Just checked out the Norrona website, Looks like yet another Gore Tex jacket with a lot of pockets and a DAFT price to me :D I,m sure the quality is very good but in three years or so it will leak !!!(in my experiance).
For a lot less money you could get a Ventile jacket that will last you a lifetime.
The parmeno stuff is very good as are Lowe Alpine, Mountain Equipment, Berghaus, The North Face and loads more. As you probably know you can spend huge amounts on outdoor kit but it,s not always worth it.

I'm a newbie on this site too but the natives seem friendly :lmao:

Adrian

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Norrøna and cheap in the same sentence. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
The only equipment from Norrøna I have is a Norrøna Recon Pack rucksack.
Very good, and I didn`t pay too much for it either as I bought it from a military store (these shops don`t exist anymore :( ).
There are dusins of other brands that I`m sure are as good as Norrøna and cost much less. In my opinion Norrøna products are overpriced.
Sorry I couldn`t help you with a supplier of Norrøna.

Tor

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
qweeg500 said:
The only one I know of is:
http://www.oipolloi.com/oipolloi/shop/brandhome.php?brandno=67

The Arktis Anojaket looks nice.

They also do Fjallraven bits 'n bobs.

Matt

How could I forget. I just tossed an Anojaket from Norrøna in the bin ( a month ago). The reason was that it was destroyed by acid (from a car battery) :rolleyes: .
The jacket is nice and works great in winter but for that price I would rather buy something else. The sleeves frayed after just one year use (everyday use). And I got some small holes in places were the jacket folded.
I had a cheap american anorak that held up for years, bought for a fifth of the price, sadly it is now to small. See pic, mine was OD.

7380.jpg

I`ve actually had two of these anoraks. The last one I had was in some sort of leaf camoflage, and it was not as good as the older olive drab one. The OD anorak had much better fabric.

It is a big difference from 399 kroner for the american item and to 1700 for the anojacket.
Expensive don`t always mean quality.

1 pound = 11.58 kroner

Tor

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi Geoff, I was asking a very similar question on here the other day. After speaking to some friends in Mountain Rescue and others who spend a lot of time outdoors all year round I think I'll be going for a Paramo jacket. I already own one of their fleeces and a pair of trousers and if the jacket is as good as that I'll be a happy dry bunny. A decent Paramo jacket will be about £100 cheaper, their web site is www.paramo.co.uk
Welcome to to the club btw :beerchug:

Cheers

Bonzo

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I have the Recon jacket and trousers from Norrona. Very very very very well made bits of kit. The reason I have them is that I had tried an awful amount of different makes and there was always something i didnt like about them so i thought i would give Norrona a try, very impressed. I use the jacket all the time and the set served as my shell layer in the arctic.

If you can afford it, and you know your going t get the use out of it and lok after it, great bits to use, otherwise...save your pocket lining and lok alsewhere

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE