Norovirus and flu

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Norovirus, anyone here had it this year? My son has and now my Welsh Love Goddess has it so I've called off my trip tomorrow which has really really :soapbox: me off and I've let a good friend down by not going; I just can't risk setting up camp and going down with the Jaipuri Jitters :(

The 'flu season' has been mild this year down here but this nasty little bug is doing the rounds with a vengeance, so who's been zapped with either or both?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
We (my three kids wife and i) had it twice in a space of 2 months though it was Dec 11 and end of Jan 12 it has done the rounds this year but touch wood nothing here so far,the thing that gets me is the Gov health dept says to schools that pupils must not return to school until 48hrs after last vomiting bout,but modern parents(those here at least, they have jogging to do and coffee mornings,and pilates etc havent got time for this intrusion,oh and yes i am annoyed it goes on all the time and the bugs get spread round its no joke) just send there kids as soon as little jonny has stopped being sick so low and behold the school goes down with it, the amount of times ive been in to complain that the rules are being ignored(they openly admit to sending the kids as soon as theyve stopped being sick) May sound like a moaning sod but when you all get it and youve got to then look after your kids as well as your self and there ''mess'' everywhere and it could have been avioded well then moan i shall, as for Flu my two daughters have been off since Monday with high temps,sore heads,chesty coughs,sore ears,sore throats,and again picked up from school(been doing the rounds) may not be Flu but its a nasty bug that seems to be lasting.

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
No flu (ever) for myself and family but my youngest daughter had a severe bout of "Norovirus" (so they say).

I don't believe it was Norovirus at all. My daughter went to school one Thursday morning at 9am and by midday the school were on the phone insisting I collected her as she felt ill. They told me that 85 children had been sent home that morning and more well falling sick by the minute.
By the time I arrived at the school 15 mins later, there were 120 children sent home. The news reports claimed a much smaller number had fallen victim to it and environmental health later confirmed Norovirus was found at the school.
I spent the whole following night cleaning up vomit and my older daughter slept with her sister to comfort her yet none of us caught the virus!
I spoke to many other parents who had sick kids and none of those or their siblings caught it either.
Norovirus is very contagious and spreads like wild-fire so why where no siblings/parents affected?
Many older siblings attended the local comp but nobody there was affected either.

I've no doubt that you can swab and find evidence of the virus in many schools but I don't believe for a second it was the cause.

The school did sell off part of the school playground a few years back for a sewage pumping station and it may be coincidence but during this outbreak the sewage could be smelt for the first time ever?
Coincidence?
I think not.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...The 'flu season' has been mild this year down here but this nasty little bug is doing the rounds with a vengeance, so who's been zapped with either or both?.."

Nothing for me or mine, perhaps the odd sniffle from child 1 but that is all. I put it down to a healthy diet of goose fat sandwiches, pickled fruits and plum brandy.

:)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Contact with a virus doesn't always mean you develop the illness. If I'm still symptom free Monday I'll get away for a couple of days. I'm making Chicken curry tonight but the wife won't be joining me in eating it the poor darling.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Flu season's been awful here. On a personal/family level we started with my youngest grandson (less than 2 years) he became so dehydrated he was hospitalized for almost a week. As bad as our local hospital is I must say their pediatrics ward is wonderful. His room was set up with his crib and a a rlcining chair that pulled out to make a cot sized single bed as one of us was expected to remain with him 24/7 due to his age. My daughter refused to let any of us relive her the whole time.

Next myself and my daughter came down with it just about the time he was released and his grandmother overlapped us by about a week.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE