Norgie Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
What sort of fit are these, are they a base layer or more along the lines of a light jumper.

i have not seen one in the flesh and have todo the dreaded and order one online, there seems to be huge quality variances looking at the pictures, can anyone recommend an online supplier for a cheap quality one?

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
They were originally designed to be a base layer, the inside is a sort of loop stitch. Many people use them as a light jumper over a t-shirt, but they lose some of the thermal and wicking qualities if you do that.

Fit wise, the later ones tend to be very long, ridiculously so in fact.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
They are more jumper like active fit allowing movement. The towelling side is worn towards the skin. Some have said they are a bit old fashioned but they are superbly comfortable and dirt cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Well in 1988 they were the dogs bits. Thick shirt, nice and warm. Not so much when wet. Worn on exercise and operations by a huge chunk of the British Army. I thought mine was great.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Fond memories of the norgie; didn't they give up and start issuing them with soldier 95 kit? Still got one for work somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
don't get me wrong they are a great piece of kit, but for some reason the MOD contractor thinks having a 46 chest means you are 7.5 foot tall. This is the case with a lot of the 2000 era kit.
I had mine shortened in the arms a bit, problem solved.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The long fit does make a good draught excluder for the kidneys and makeshift mits though. Weren't too great when wet but I always had one on a drybag for when I took.a swim when paddling. Nice and cosy to pop on.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Find your local surplus shop - mine knocks them out for a fiver (which is as much as I'd pay for one). That way you can at least try them on.

To be perfectly honest, mines in the cars 'emergency kit' since about 10 minutes after I first wore it, and I cannot see why you'd want one. They are made of cotton towelling - something you will never find in a hiking shop, since it absorbs moisture like crazy. Pretty warm, but jumper like, a bit scritchy (from the towelling), but get it damp, and you'll know about it (which is why Endicotts recommends wearing it over a wicking layer. Yes, it wont melt if a cinder hits it, unlike a synthetic top, but thats about all.

Much much better to get a micro fleece - something like the Mountain Hardwear ones that Cotswold's knocks out for £25 - http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-hardwear-mens-microchill-zip-top-15210198?id_colour=103 (I had had to buy another one after my wife bascially nicked mine), or ever a Craghoppers thing that they are doing for £12.50 (you'll find them at TKMaxx for about the same amount). Something like this - http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/columbia-mens-fast-trek-half-zip-fleece-15220656?id_colour=107

You can wear it out and about, its comfortable and practical, and comes in regular sizes. If you want to buy a Norgie, go ahead (buy them cheap, though), but there is no way I'd walk down the street in one (that includes the Swedish version ( a bit thinner), which I got from Endicotts), and if your paying £17 for a new one, your being robbed.

Endi's is a good place to go, and I rate the French version which I got from them. Basically a glorified rugby shirt (so not exactly warm), but comfortable and practical, and doesn't look very surplus - http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component/virtuemart/thermals-111/clothing-mid-layer-shirt-norgee-french-olive-1561-detail?Itemid=0

Last edited:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I've got plenty new style fleeces, it was the colour I liked for a late summer early autumn shirt for hunting, I won't be out for days on end so getting wet etc not a bother! Just thought it was something different and the carapace type colour was interesting!

May 27, 2015
UK
I have been wearing Dutch and British norgi tops for years, I wouldn't entertain anything else they are such a versatile top , last for ages and get better with age .. until they finally give up the ghost.

I found the imported copies not to be up to the mark as they just look similar and thats were the similarities end.. Ex military all the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE