Norgie Container users.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I was supposed to show pics of my setup and forgot until preping my norgie for this weekend. here are ics of my mesh suppot. Its very simple but it works. the stainless mesh will take a lot of weight. this time ive just poored in water and dumped the lot in the chest freezer. ill normally put two packs of frozen sausages on the bottom too

1b7436a7.jpg

f239e6b9.jpg

Jun 1, 2012
London
Hi Damian

I made a trivet from stainless mesh to sit over the ice and it stops food getting wet when it melts. Simple but effective. I too had a look for dry ice after i got back from rough close but like you say its pricey. I was gobsmacked just how much ice was left when i got home. I packed it at 12 noon on the Thursday and there was still over half left on Sunday lunch when I emptied it.

edit: I used a block of ice as opposed to ice cubes

I've done something similar to that, it's been working well so far.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
I was supposed to show pics of my setup and forgot until preping my norgie for this weekend. here are ics of my mesh suppot. Its very simple but it works. the stainless mesh will take a lot of weight. this time ive just poored in water and dumped the lot in the chest freezer. ill normally put two packs of frozen sausages on the bottom too

1b7436a7.jpg

f239e6b9.jpg

hay bare thrills where did you get you mesh from bud cos its an ausome idea and i am going to pinch it if thats allright cheers drew dunn

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't mix frozen food and chilled. One filled with frozen food will only be opened once a day and the food should be good for three or four days.

Chilled food / beers needs a bigger cooler. Even a cheapo from Argos will do a grand job. Put in two 2 litre bottles of frozen water and make sure your beer is really cold when it goes in and they will last you well.

The bigger Coleman boxes really are the dogs hanging bits though. I love the norgie boxes but sometimes we are expecting either too much from them or not thinking through the best way to use them. The norgie boxes are well made but small. Just my view.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Do people pre-chill their Norgies or is that just me?

I place several frozen water bottles in the Norgie 24hrs before, then prior to leaving these go back into the freezer and my foodstuffs for the trip are placed in alternate layers of frozen and fresh.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Mine all went in the chest freezer and I still had ice when I got home yesterday too. They are very efficient no matter how you ice them. The trivet just keeps my stuff dry but a bottle would do the same and is cheaper

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I fill mine with supermarket ice* before the trip taking it out filling with food and tipping back ice to cover food and fill the void.

* Next use I will put in a cut down norgie inner container full of ice (as per advice earlier in the thread) to pre-chill the norgie as
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE