Norgie Container users.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I know several members use Norgie containers as cool boxes. I do and freeze food in lock and lock boxes and cool the Norgie with ice, pack the food and fill space around boxes with ice.

My method has two problems: 1) the boxes have dead space which eats into the Norgie's capacity and therefore 2) the boxes restrict the amount of ice I can add to prolong cooling.

I have experienced previously food like bread for example getting sodden when the ice melts.

I have thought of buying size specific boxes - an expense I want to avoid. I have thought of double bagging with ziplock bags (heavy duty Ikea or American brand).

Sooo ....... what do Norgie container users do?

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I freeze the meat and put one bag of ice in the bottom then my tinnies to cool the the meat, I do not put bread in mine or any soft items, but if i did i would use a bag such as am exped waterproof drybag and seal the contents in that to keep it dry but chilled.

udamiano

On a new journey
I was playing with the idea of getting hold of some dry ice, and give that a go. It has a few drawbacks, one is that its at -80 so must be really careful when handling, the second is getting hold of the stuff in smaller quantities at a reasonable price. it would mean that anything in there would be kept frozen for a good long time.

If anyone has already done this i would be interested to know how you got on

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Damian

I made a trivet from stainless mesh to sit over the ice and it stops food getting wet when it melts. Simple but effective. I too had a look for dry ice after i got back from rough close but like you say its pricey. I was gobsmacked just how much ice was left when i got home. I packed it at 12 noon on the Thursday and there was still over half left on Sunday lunch when I emptied it.

edit: I used a block of ice as opposed to ice cubes

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Where do you get your block ice from and do you have a photo of the trivet please?

Make your own... just find a couple square 1.5ltr mineral water bottles or similar that fit in the bottom, throw them in the freezer for a couple of days and hey presto you've got ice blocks :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Paul
Where do you get your block ice from and do you have a photo of the trivet please?
Alan

Its down the garage. ill dig it out tomorrow and get a pic up. The ice block is done in a big sarnie box in the chest freezer. I then trim it to fit the contours of the box. a sharpened tent peg makes a great ice tool lol

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Ta Paul.
That's what I love about this forum, a wealth of ideas! Sort of a mental equivalent of 'many hands make light work'. I'll try this tomorrow.

Mesquite, My frozen milk containers function much like your suggestion but not as large a volume!
I think I'll have to review the boxes I use and use the best fit ones in order to maximise cooling and content.
Alan

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
your not wrong there Alan. Next time Im going to try putting a large tesco zip lock bag in the norgie, fill it with water and shove the whole lot in the freezer. Should save me some carving :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Mesquite, My frozen milk containers function much like your suggestion but not as large a volume!
I think I'll have to review the boxes I use and use the best fit ones in order to maximise cooling and content.

Wayland freezes any milk he takes and uses them as alternative ice blocks as well as freezing any other foods as well. Then he takes out what he needs for the next day and lets it thaw out, ready for use :)

Another way would be to use ice cubes double bagged at the bottom of the Norgie. They'll conform to the shape easily and won't take up that much space either.

your not wrong there Alan. Next time Im going to try putting a large tesco zip lock bag in the norgie, fill it with water and shove the whole lot in the freezer. Should save me some carving

Make sure you don't seal the norgie up or the water won't be freezing that quickly :rolleyes::lmao:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Watch out with dry ice, the Norgie has a pretty good seal and the dry ice, as it "melts"can fill a surprising volume with CO2... We use dry ice at work and don't use sealed containers..
when camping with our norgie, we go for the pre frozen items for later in the trip at the bottom to keep the box cool. The two containers in the box help to fill the space to avoid wasting the low temp.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
the problem with norgies is not whats in them but how often they get opened, every time its opened hot air will rush in which then needs to be chilled again, this draws cold from the frozen foods...

i have had semi frozen meat in a norgie after a week or so of being in the field, when i say semi frozen, i mean the meat on the outside was soft-ish...

we never put ice in, just use the frozen meat...

udamiano

On a new journey
Watch out with dry ice, the Norgie has a pretty good seal and the dry ice, as it "melts"can fill a surprising volume with CO2... We use dry ice at work and don't use sealed containers..
when camping with our norgie, we go for the pre frozen items for later in the trip at the bottom to keep the box cool. The two containers in the box help to fill the space to avoid wasting the low temp.

Good point JC. I wonder if using it to deep freeze in the first place, them use it to cool the Norgi, then remove hmmmm. food for thought so they say

Thanks

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I tend to wrap my meat up in either zip-loc bags or Cling film in many layers that tends to stop the meat juices running, sometimes I will bag up the ice if I do not have that many tinnies in the norgie and it is going to be in close proximity of the meat. dry bags are great in storing water in or out of them nad can be turned inside out and still keep the water barrier there

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland freezes any milk he takes and uses them as alternative ice blocks as well as freezing any other foods as well. Then he takes out what he needs for the next day and lets it thaw out, ready for use :) <Snip

Beat me to it...

the problem with norgies is not whats in them but how often they get opened, every time its opened hot air will rush in which then needs to be chilled again, this draws cold from the frozen foods...

i have had semi frozen meat in a norgie after a week or so of being in the field, when i say semi frozen, i mean the meat on the outside was soft-ish...

we never put ice in, just use the frozen meat...

Being organised is the order of the day. Work out not just what you need now but what you will need later and set your box up with the next thing at the top and the last thing at the bottom.

Open the box for as little time as possible, preferably in a shady cool spot.

I posted this some time ago which is how I did things before I got my Norgie. Now things stay frozen for two or even three days with careful management.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I know its a real small point but having a bit of fablon coverd paper on the side with what's in it and its location drawn on really helps to open and close quick, also helps with stock keeping and planning meals around what's left.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE