Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
:rolleyes: yup, another day passes, without conversation.

we'll remember these times, and look back on them in fondness...
"do you remember that fortnight when nothing actualy happened? "

come on guy's,

if you want to actually get out there and do stuff the first step is communication!

If you are interested in being part of what we would like to do please, just say hello!

True enough. But surely the ones that really get out there, are always out bushcrafting and never home to check the computer!
Don't mean to be anti-social with the locals, been placing a few posts elsewhere, but can't meet up (or do anything much) at the moment as I'm sitting here with a cast on my leg, and won't be properly mobile until nearly Christmas (Bl**dy Village rounders match)
Rap check out the Swedish Camo boat in your thread.
Cheers, David

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
What is at my place?Well,its a rather nice peice of woodland with a very noisy rookery!
As for rules i hadnt really considered any?Hopefully common sense will prevail...plenty of fallen and dead wood for fires which can be as big as you like but no infernos..sensible!(ash)If we build a shelter it can be made to last rather taking it apart..just a thought,itll save cutting more than is needed.Axes and knives are used at your own risk!!By bringing such things along you make sure you know how to use it,although i can offer directions to the nearest A&E.:p Erm...Weekends are best for me im afraid.Its not a secret but id rather not post here exactly where it is..

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
What is at my place?Well,its a rather nice peice of woodland with a very noisy rookery!
As for rules i hadnt really considered any?Hopefully common sense will prevail...plenty of fallen and dead wood for fires which can be as big as you like but no infernos..sensible!(ash)If we build a shelter it can be made to last rather taking it apart..just a thought,itll save cutting more than is needed.Axes and knives are used at your own risk!!By bringing such things along you make sure you know how to use it,although i can offer directions to the nearest A&E.:p Erm...Weekends are best for me im afraid.Its not a secret but id rather not post here exactly where it is..

;) sound too good to be true!
I'm guessing allowing sharp things, and fires its private land?

True enough. But surely the ones that really get out there, are always out bushcrafting and never home to check the computer!
I don't know anyone that lucky!:rolleyes:

Don't mean to be anti-social with the locals, been placing a few posts elsewhere, but can't meet up (or do anything much) at the moment as I'm sitting here with a cast on my leg, and won't be properly mobile until nearly Christmas
sorry to hear that mate, we'll have to get some meets up in the new year to "break" in your leg!;)

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:cool: nice!

ok when, I'm well up for this!

BTW Globetrotter, i met that pig farmer on sunday and to be fair i didn't even see any woodland so camping isn't an option there(plus everything smells of pigs):yuck:

sorry to hear that mate, we'll have to get some meets up in the new year to "break" in your leg!;)

Thanks mate, a chilly meet early new year at Launditches place sounds good if he's up for it, but I think you others should check it out before then! (Always fancied making one of those group shelters around a central fire, which can sleep 3 or 4 people, could be a good winter project, but they are a lot of work).
Going on another RM course in the spring so I have to be 100% by then!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
(Always fancied making one of those group shelters around a central fire, which can sleep 3 or 4 people, could be a good winter project, but they are a lot of work).

I stayed in one whilst i was working up north, the guy i worked for had made it properly with logs and had thatched it with reed that was bought in.
(he'd previously made a full size iron age "round house", so this was nothing:eek:)
it was only about shoulder height at the top i just chucked my tarp up over the middle and had a very cosey place!

i made a mini version of these years before (due to time and resources to hand) the sleeping areas were only 3-4 foot long, it was on my parents in-laws farm land so I knew no one would touch it, I left it and the thing and this was in the open in the fens, it stood for 3 years before finally collapsing! (i think it was partly held up by weeds for the last year!;))

main problem in winter as i guess you already know is there will be a lack of building Materials(the roof), but there are ways around the problem!;) which I can show you when we meet!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Conifer boughs, leaf litter, and moss at the bottom or...?

but which way up?
the boughs/branches go upside down to catch the leaf litter and allow it to build up, most people put them the normal way i.e. to shed rain.(as you would with ferns)
problem is if put the normal way the layers will fall off and any rain will get in quicker, it's all to do with the outer layer dispersing water the inner ones are just keeping the bulk/insulation together(assuming it's for winter use).
:)o excuse me if I'm "teaching granny to suck eggs";)
I'll show you when we meet up :)confused:I didn't agree first time I heard it).

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Thats somewhere id love to go sometime...Ive always wanted to walk up pike o' sickle.

Fear not,there will be other times..hopefully?!

but which way up?
the boughs/branches go upside down to catch the leaf litter and allow it to build up, most people put them the normal way i.e. to shed rain.(as you would with ferns)
problem is if put the normal way the layers will fall off and any rain will get in quicker, it's all to do with the outer layer dispersing water the inner ones are just keeping the bulk/insulation together(assuming it's for winter use).
:)o excuse me if I'm "teaching granny to suck eggs";)
I'll show you when we meet up :)confused:I didn't agree first time I heard it).

Not a granny, and stlll learning to suck eggs so no problem. Interesting tecnique, cheers for the tip.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Not a granny, and stlll learning to suck eggs so no problem. Interesting tecnique, cheers for the tip.

it's something I was taught (to teach) "up north", I'm not sure if it's "Ray" teachings but it works very well!

some more shelter hints:

1. Don't camp under beach trees dead branches fall off without warning.
2. Careful using fallen birch as shelter beams they rot from the inside out (so you can't tell they are rotten).
3. hang some crushed elder leaves in the shelter (insect repellent).
:D

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Interesting about the crushed elder leaves,the old horsemen used to put branches of elder in their horse's bridles when out working the fields.

it's something I was taught (to teach) "up north", I'm not sure if it's "Ray" teachings but it works very well!

some more shelter hints:

1. Don't camp under beach trees dead branches fall off without warning.
2. Careful using fallen birch as shelter beams they rot from the inside out (so you can't tell they are rotten).
3. hang some crushed elder leaves in the shelter (insect repellent).
:D

Knew 1 + 2 but hadn't heard about the elder leaves trick. I've been taught that if using leaf litter it should be at least an arms length thick. Which in practice is A LOT of stuff to cover you whole shelter. On a course I did it took 7 of us 1.5hrs to build a two man shelter, on which basis it would have taken two guys over 5hrs! And we were'nt mucking about.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I think to speed things up you could take a rake and some huge tarps to drag leaves to the shelter:)

also a spade to dig in the posts, and a saw to cut joints etc

KevB

Forager
Oct 19, 2005
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Hello again Gents, not forgetting the Ladies of course...
Just catching up on the thread. Am still doing stuff when time and familly permit.etc...
Thought I might make you all dribble over a pan of Laetiporus Sulphureus (Chicken of the Woods) that made it onto my breakfast table this morning. I gathrered a large chunk of this last week and so far I've had 3 meals out of it. 1 more to go.
I blanched it in salted water for 5 mins then Saute'd (posh word for fried!) it in Garlic and Olive oil for a few minutes. I'm still smelling it now - ummmh...

IMG_0220.JPG

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi Kev, good to see you keeping up the Fungi cooking!
I've never tried "chicken-of-the-woods":(
How's things going over Lowerstoft way?
I saw a few Fungi today had a V.short walk in the woods, I think I saw several boletus?(sorry spelling:eek:) and a shaggy ink cap.

It's Raining at last!!:umbrella::D
It's quite worrying to see how much rain we've been lacking, the local woods (I keep mentioning) used to be a gravel pit, and for years there have always been a few swampy areas and stagnant puddles of water, I always assumed they were about 18" deep.
well since the lack of rain it's all evaporated and it's clear to see that some of some of the dried out "puddles" turn out to be well over 6ft deep exploratory gravel pits! :eek: I think it brings up the Phrase "look before you leap" quite well!:rolleyes:

anything like that happened for the rest of you guys?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE