Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm starting to feel like the real young one on here (Tragic)
well it's better than feeling old!
seriously put those fears behind you we are from a wide range of backgrounds we are all at different stages of learning Bushcraft, no doubt someone will come along that you can teach (if you wish), and tell them the time you met me and i couldn't light my Flint n steel;)

Anyone fancy helping out the Open Canoe Fun Fest for the river stour boating on the 11/12 July. They where asking for help to demo bushcraft skills and I offered to help them out. They are a charitable organisation that do river trips in order to keep the river open for other users. Its fairly local to you guys and would be a chance to get together.
Hi Rich
Which scout campsite did you stay at b4? - I'll try and organise a weekend camp there if I can.

Hi mate, glad you're back!

cool idea about the canoe trip, I can't say "yes" at present but I'd love to. I'll have to see how busy i am.:) but I love canoes (done 2star + safety test).

the really good scout campsite Near Thetford is called "Two mile bottom" see map
It's in satellite mode:)confused: ) but you can see it's out of town.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=two+mile+bottom&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=13.365941,28.300781&ie=UTF8&ll=52.427757,0.715141&spn=0.107603,0.2211&z=12
i seem to remember that during summer months they will be full! especially weekends:( I've been there twice with BCUK so they will know us and will know we are "safe".
(it's next to a marsh so summer months would be very buggy!)
though spring autumn and winter are good! last time i went they had almost finished a loo/shower block I remember it being a fair price something like £5 per night(though it may have risen).

V8Mondo

Feb 21, 2009
Ely
Hi Guys,

I am a newbie on the BCUK and would like to join you all sometime, hopefully at one of the overnighters that you have mentioned on the thread...any weather is fine with me!
I am really interested on finding areas that you can have open fires. I am new to the area too.

I am based in St Ives and quite flexible on dates.

You appear to have a good comeraderie and willingness to share...nice to see!
Hopefully I will have something to bring to the party...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi mate,

Don't know if you knew but craeg, lives near to you!
which is handy for car pooling!

I am a newbie on the BCUK and would like to join you all sometime, hopefully at one of the overnighters that you have mentioned on the thread...any weather is fine with me!
I am really interested on finding areas that you can have open fires. I am new to the area too.

Good to hear you are interested, We are all looking for the same thing! :rolleyes:
Open fires, campsites where we can do what we want......and nice weather:umbrella: :lmao:

Well we have a few contacts so hopefully we can get camping soon! the main problem is finding dates suitable for everyone.

I'll send you a PM.

Cheers
Rich

V8Mondo

Feb 21, 2009
Ely
Have you guys considered making a regular meet date?

Say, 2nd and last weekend of each month. Then some will make it to one meet and others will make it to the other. If they all know someone will be there on those weekends they will start to plan ahead with their personal diaries perhaps?

Of course, this is determined by the permission of the landowner if needed??

Just a thought... seems like we have a lot of interest and a reasonable group of people willing to make it work !!!

Say, 2nd and last weekend of each month. Then some will make it to one meet and others will make it to the other. If they all know someone will be there on those weekends they will start to plan ahead with their personal diaries perhaps?

Just a thought... seems like we have a lot of interest and a reasonable group of people willing to make it work !!!

I have a full time job so that would rule me out completely

all i got is holiday to do it in and my hours at work can't be changed. Monday and Tuesday normal days off.
And on Tuesday's I go off round my mates.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England

I have to agree with Kai Leingod, it would conflict with alot of peoples work.

because we all live quite a distance apart and all have different hours to work it would be difficult to do.

It might be worth a trial run though, I'll see what i can come up with!

I think I'll start a poll to see what the general view is, and which days would be better.

I spent this monday trying some gear out in the woods and i took pictures

DSCF0366.jpg

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

used my meth burner with my swedish mess kit works real nice

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:You_Rock_
Top marks mate!

Very impressed with your kit!
I notice you set up your camp in exactly the same spot(that was my spot!:rolleyes:)

Nice selection of books from two "bushcraft/survival Gods!"

and a sensible food selection! :) seriously! keep everything you are doing the same and you won't go to far wrong.

Next time I'll show you a few simple "tips of the trade" you can do to Improve what you already have!
going out tonite talk later:)

kai, which woods did you go to?

There the same ones I pointed RAPPLEBY2000 to in an earlier post

:You_Rock_
Top marks mate!

Very impressed with your kit!
I notice you set up your camp in exactly the same spot(that was my spot!:rolleyes:)

Nice selection of books from two "bushcraft/survival Gods!"

and a sensible food selection! :) seriously! keep everything you are doing the same and you won't go to far wrong.

Next time I'll show you a few simple "tips of the trade" you can do to Improve what you already have!
going out tonite talk later:)

Sorry could'nt help it that spot is realy good out of the way from everyone nice and quiet and easy place to set up a temp tarp/basha (you found the real gem)

as for gear i have got a lot more where that comes from thanks to all those games I have sold I now have almost everything i could need except its all lower quality stuff.

I'm following the K.I.S.S. rule for what i do out in the woods

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
KISS, yup good idea too!

don't worry about how "cheap" stuff is if it does the job it's good enough!

I had a girlfriend years ago that was into "sort of" survival but she didn't call it that, she had a ex army shoulder bag, I don't remember the contents apart from a shower curtain she used as a tarp!

I went on a walk with globetrotter many years ago and took a group of lads from Norwich YMCA on a "Night hike" no one took any food, it was all a bit of a last minute thing, but one of the guy's used a tent as a blanket.

basically (another good quote):
"If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid!"

But seriously your kit is fine, you just need to make it a bit dirty!:rolleyes:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
kai, which woods did you go to?

Hi Globetrotter,

It's very close to the woods we got lost in!;) with Our little'uns!

the east side of "Woodside road" We couldn't tell if it is public or not, there are no signs of fences it goes back a fair bit, worth looking at!

Hi Globetrotter,

It's very close to the woods we got lost in!;) with Our little'uns!

the east side of "Woodside road" We couldn't tell if it is public or not, there are no signs of fences it goes back a fair bit, worth looking at!

I think it's private property though

oh well tried out my 2 man tent (remember it was only £2.12)

DSCF0372.jpg

DSCF0373.jpg

DSCF0378.jpg

i don't like it to be honest im too big for it anybody else want it they can have it tarp / basha are way better

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Handy hint!
you don't have to sleep along the sides!, sleep diagonally and you'll have more space.

hey that's an awful lot of tent for £2.12! It is probably what would be described as a "festival" tent I.e. for use only in summer, and not for serious mountain use. but it's fine for simple overnighters.

I managed to come across some Rubberised Canvas groundsheets today (dated 1952!)
£5 each they are 90" x 195" a little on the small side for a shelter, i imagine they were designed to go in soldiers 2 man tents. but i got 4 and I'm hoping to join them together to make a tarp 2 x 2 sheets for my bushcraft display's.
I'll let you know how i get on

If anyone wants one they come from a little army surplus shop in the center of Hingham, on the Watton road (the shop with Russian writing on the front next to the pub) on the back right corner of the shop on shelves.

I've been digging over a clients garden yesterday, and today I'm knackered:1244: :( !

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
not a bad find i guess your place is turning into tarp central
it has been for a long time!

got a cheap survival bivi bag it's like a super strong bin liner but should do until i can get a proper one (btw it was £3)
Ah yes, something that should be experienced by anyone that's ever wondered what it's like to be a crisp!:lmao: , again, KISS, it works has kept people alive on mountains since they were invented, not the height of comfort but you will be warm!
You may not know this but there are a few ways of using them!
1. jump into it like a sleeping bag(not the most heat efficient method)
2. sit up in it with your feet inside your rucksack (for extra insulation) sitting up helps you stay awake and warm (less contact with the cold ground) and you can see rescue coming.
3. sit in it same as "2" but put it over your head first (so your feet are at the opening) then tear a little hole so you can breath and see rescuers etc.
of course there are many other uses like groundsheet, floats, kit storage, water collecting /container, a signal device and even a jacket. everyone should have one!:)
good thing is they are sooooo light and small that you can leave them in your bag and forget about them till you need it!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Im off to Walk from Spixworth to Horsford tomorrow and will be at Horsford around 12 noon to set up camp and make lunch, then I plan to make some char cloth on my new burner and then I will see what happens next.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Sounds nice, I'd come and meet you but I'm working:( .

Can you do us a pic of your camp and post it?:)

new burner? oooh please tell us!

Cheers
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE