Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joe_Pak

Oct 21, 2015
Norfolk
Here you go guys, this is how I make my Biltong:

Biltong can be made from virtually any meat or venison but remember - the better the cut and grade of the meat, the better the Biltong. Topside or Silverside is perfect.

If you like fatty biltong (which actually tastes a lot better i think) make sure you get cuts of meat that have a lot of fat. You will lose approx 25%-30% of the weight of your meat.

IMPORTANT: First, be sure to sterilize all your hooks, knives, and working surfaces by washing well in hot water and soap.

Cut the beef into manageable pieces taking into account shrinkage. (Slice the meat with the grain and use a very sharp carving knife for the best results.)

Rub the vinegar into the meat. Any vinegar will do. This aids in the curing process and kills any bacteria on the meat.

Biltong spice can be bought on the Internet or even locally from a South African shop. Rub the biltong spice in to the meat. Try and get a nice even covering but don't be too heavy handed.

Biltong is greats when done right. Too much seasoning will make it too salty and rich and you will find you can only eat a little at a time.

Now stick it in the fridge for approx 24H. This kicks off the curing process and already in the next step you will see the meat has already begun to lose moisture.

After 24H you will already begin to see there is now liquid that has begun to be drawn out of the meat. This is a good sign your biltong is on it's way!

Now make little hooks from the paper clips and hang your meat. Be sure they don't touch and make sure they have plenty of room to air. You can hang your biltong anywhere as long as the area is dry.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
No problem, if you are going to make Biltong out of Venison, instead of biltong spice use this:

1/2 cup ground coriander
2 Tbs ground black pepper
2 Tbs sea salt
2 tsps paprika

That is on my list of things to try might have a go this weekend on some beef..😜😛

Sent from somewhere?

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Yes you could, but why use para cord? As if you rap that around a tree you are likely to ring the tree, cutting into the bark and possibly killing the tree

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Guys can you rethread a dd hammock to be hung with paracord. I am 10 stone, can this work.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
Easy enough but you'd need some straps for the tree as Rick says. How dear is amsteel to restring it? 550lbs/14 = almost 40 stone breaking strain, but significantly reduced if a knots put in it and the angle of the dangle really increases the strain put on the straps
Adding Whoopie Slings
[video=youtube;PyUgwyJd6IE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyUgwyJd6IE[/video]

Last edited:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
The angle of dangle should be about 30 degrees. Hold out your hand flat thumb pointing up, from the top of your thumb to the tip of your finger gives you a ruff gauge of 30 degrees

hazzard1701

Jun 24, 2015
norwich
Well reason being I don't want to pay for my hammock twice by adding whoopie slings and tree huggers so I bought some quick tightening reppel rings and could use those with the hammock to save space and add speed of set up.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
Well reason being I don't want to pay for my hammock twice by adding whoopie slings and tree huggers so I bought some quick tightening reppel rings and could use those with the hammock to save space and add speed of set up.

Theres loads of hammock setup threads with alot of different ways to hang a hammock id do a search on the forum and take on board there advice too.

Me the way i hang mine is with some tree huggers and the same webbing rope supplied amd some climbing grade karabiners. Be careful with what you use as what ricky has said using something thin will cut into the tree and leave it open for infection ect.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE