Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi Globetrotter, I never said thanks for the rubber washers! they'll keep me going for years...didn't work though, I got my piston measurements wrong :(
I might need to start from scratch. boo hoo!

Hi Globetrotter, I never said thanks for the rubber washers! they'll keep me going for years...didn't work though, I got my piston measurements wrong :(

yo would it be cool to meet up on friday or saturday?
got the pda ready also the pda has a camera built in forgot to mention that i also put on some software for ya nothing to major and it has a full charge

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, what are you using to make your fire piston, wood - steel - etc? could you adapt what you have started to make? or better still have you a photo. carl

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I can do Friday, for a few hours, I think...

perhaps a meet up near you Kai Leingod?

the piston...well
you know I do the demo's in the summer, I got this very small ALU fire-piston for my Birthday, (It's not too great:():
resize.ashx

(note where the tinder goes...in the end of the bolt, the one I have has a "cross head" (Phillips screwdriver type) bolt so even less space for tinder!
were talking minute tinder lump 2-3 mm across stuffed into the cross head)

after a lot of struggling and sore hands (the things so small it's difficult to use:rolleyes:) I've managed about 3 embers but they all died in 2-3 seconds(not usable).

The company that made them make it look easy!: check the "cross head" bolt 01:16 (I've tried char-cloth and Amadou) I can't get tinder to "stick to the bolt like that! LOL
[video=vimeo;10216891]http://vimeo.com/10216891[/video]
hmm, I'm wondering if the piston/tinder was warmed before use.

I think partly due to the tiny amount of the tinder you can fit in it. also because it's aluminium, the heat gets dispersed too quickly through the metal...that's my guess anyway.

I've looked for a suitable hex bolt but they are not available around here. anyway the ember is so small and short lived a crowd of people won't be able to see it.
(it's shiny metal though:rolleyes:)

Ok, you live and learn, I wanted to make a bigger, better piston for my demos, started with a piece of copper pipe and a hollow alu tent peg, I've jammed and superglued a pice of wood into the alu peg, and drilled a tinder hole into that, all sealed, all super glued shut!

(A picture to follow)

the copper pipe has an airtight cap, which is also glued shut.

the problem I'm having is getting the piston/tube airtight.

I tried a traditional string gasket(washer) which almost works, but you can hear air escaping, and I've fitted a rubber washer (thanks to Globetrotter;)) and the same thing is happening or the rubber washer moves/slips off.

it's sort of 99% there but no cigar!:confused:

I'm thinking of scrapping the hollow peg idea and trying a piece of dowelling. guess what, B&Q had run out....:rolleyes: ain't that just typical!:lmao:

going to get some elder, and start re-learning the "hand drill" too.

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, i have the same unit as you, but i have not used it yet as i made one before it arrived. just could not wait to play, my bought unit has a x head screw. the one in the photo has a cap head screw? (i think it's better than mine) i have made 3 fire pistons so far 2 worked one did not. i made the ember pot/hole to big and it could not reach the correct presser, but i was trying to make it small to fit in my pocket. have you tride using vaseline in your fire piston i found that the vaper seems to help maintain the ember longer. i also put the ember into a larger piece of tinder then light your fire from there. hope this helps. i could turn you a screw down so you could fit more tinder if you like?. carl

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
hi, i have the same unit as you, but i have not used it yet as i made one before it arrived. just could not wait to play, my bought unit has a x head screw. the one in the photo has a cap head screw? (i think it's better than mine) i have made 3 fire pistons so far 2 worked one did not. i made the ember pot/hole to big and it could not reach the correct presser, but i was trying to make it small to fit in my pocket. have you tried using vaseline in your fire piston i found that the vaper seems to help maintain the ember longer. i also put the ember into a larger piece of tinder then light your fire from there. hope this helps. i could turn you a screw down so you could fit more tinder if you like?. carl

I've played with your homemade fire piston (that sounds bad....) and it worked perfect every time. I really want one of them!

Rappleby you need to look at his long one (I've done it again haven't I...) or the one with the detachable bottom (I can't help myself with the double entendres tonight) that holds the tinder. Brill bit of kit. Don't know why your not selling them Carl?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I'd love to get my hands on Carls plunger....;)

I've seen and used a few different fire pistons now, wooden/horn ect, all with good success, till I got my ALU one! :bluThinki

a guy in a local DIY shop mentioned drilling out the cross head too, but it would only make doing up the bold harder.

I use Vaseline with my piston....;)

I'd love to get my hands on Carls plunger....;)

I've seen and used a few different fire pistons now, wooden/horn ect, all with good success, till I got my ALU one! :bluThinki

a guy in a local DIY shop mentioned drilling out the cross head too, but it would only make doing up the bold harder.

I use Vaseline with my piston....;)

where would you like to meet up? and when?
ill be back online about 12:00 need to go to the shops and buy a new pc part bad

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
aaaagh, though I had some spare time today, but i don't :(....have to pick up a strimmer harness in Horsted for starters! :sigh:

sorry kai. very soon mate,...very soon :camping:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi All

Just a quick one, who's going

So far,

Myself
Mitch66
Crowe
Globetrotter

Any one else.

Meet at the park and ride again, GT do you need transport to Hethel, if so pick up there, shall we meet about 9:30-10:00 ish?

I will bring a dutch oven, large pot for boiling water, large tarp for cooking area and Shovel.

Mitch can you still bring the rabbits, I will bring the veg for evening meal (Group din dins). Anyone for desert!!!

Anyone else wanting to bring anything else to the mix, this will save doubling up on kit.:hammock:

All the best and happy camping!!!!!!!:camping:

D

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi whittler kev. my g.p.s. location reading for your site was N52'31.775 E000'03.778. all the best carl
Just found this (about post 930 ish)
The more the merrier.
The coordinates are:

52°31'52.16"N
0° 3'43.73"E

Grange Road, March,
PE15 0YH

From Roundabout from Chatteris (South end of March Bypass) go toward Tesco's. On the right hand sweeping corner (look for the deer), at the crossroads turn left, then immediately left. Follow the road until you get to a sharp right hand corner. This is the golf club. The next corner is a sharp left hander. The woods are on the right. You can park on the side of the road. When you go through the second gate, I'll be in the middle of the copse in front of you (on the left)

Last edited:

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
Hi whittler kev ;-) hethel overnighter 26/27 june (post 1043). thank's for the ok on my fire piston's rappleby2000, look forward to meeting you ;-) i will try my fire pistion (same as yours) and see if i can mod the screw ,if so i will sort one for you.
When an where you going? I've lost the plot

Last edited:

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi Whittler

We are doing an overnight on 26/27 at a Farm near Hethel we are going to meet up at Thickthorne park and ride (Off the roundabout of A11/A47, near service station).
You are more than welcome to come, if you have been following the thread it is a nice site, open fires but no self build shelters but almost anything else.

all the best

D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
I might be able to turn up for a few hours for the overnighter (not overnight though).
can't say which day but I'll try to make an appearance.

is monday good i should have a few goodies by then hopefully like a camera / camcorder and a new bag and stuff also you want my old camera its not that shiny but its an awesome workhorse

Monday is out, I start to new job (That's why I got the strimmer harness)!
I'll have to re-think it as next week or so look busy.
modern life sucks!
Hmm the shiny stuff sounds interesting, I will meet you soon!
today I have a child's party to go to this PM....:togo:

Last edited:
I might be able to turn up for a few hours for the overnighter (not overnight though).
can't say which day but I'll try to make an appearance.

Monday is out, I start to new job (That's why I got the strimmer harness)!
I'll have to re-think it as next week or so look busy.
modern life sucks!
Hmm the shiny stuff sounds interesting, I will meet you soon!
today I have a child's party to go to this PM....:togo:

would some time like 09:30 on tuesday be good

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hi Whittler

We are doing an overnight on 26/27 at a Farm near Hethel we are going to meet up at Thickthorne park and ride (Off the roundabout of A11/A47, near service station).
You are more than welcome to come, if you have been following the thread it is a nice site, open fires but no self build shelters but almost anything else.

all the best

D
Cheers. Nothing on at the mo so may be able to come and spend some time, but as you probably know, hard for me to do an overnighter without leccy (shame you have to breath when your sleep)

hi whittler kev. my g.p.s. location reading for your site was N52'31.775 E000'03.778. all the best carl
Cheers for the info Carl. Hope to see you there too. Hope you got the phone messages as well. Been out to Derham and back to Magdelene via Gayton today on the Harley. You must have heard us. About 100 or so Harley's following an open truck with a mates Black coffin strapped to it. Or maybe you wondered why it was thundering with a clear blue sky?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE