Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Not sure if there is a big enough open area to set up your 'chute.
just have to take the two tarps as usual but i might carry the 'chute anyway (it's light and folds up very small).

please do bring your bow :cool: if only so we can have a look, it sounds like a masterpiece of work!

I'll bring along some of my fire kit stuff, i have some questions someone might be able to answer hopefully. and i have some spares people can have free, like dried hazel drills, and Pepsi can stoves , (i'll check my garage i probably have more kit to give away to you guy's).

Just wondered, Damascus, or Globetrotter are you able to come?

and anyone else is welcome

just wondering about meeting time: (Bacton woods Friday 6th Feb),
I will have to get my kids to school first so the soonest I'll be able to get there is around 10am,
(this would be the same time for anyone I'm giving a lift to /getting a lift from)
is that ok?
Cheers
Rich

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Just to add to the last message I had a quick rummage in the garage This Morning and I've got tons of spare kit:

I was going to sell/ swap it on the forum but I reckon you guys deserve something for keeping the thread alive.

Hazel drills (for a bow drill),
Pepsi can stoves (meths burners),
small stones with natrual holes (could be used as fishing weights/or to put on a cord),
"king Alfred's cakes" (a sort of tinder fungi),
I'll bring along a load, you can have it for free, (I'll never use it and can get free supplies easily if i need them),
I also have a few small pieces of what i think might be "Iron pyrites" though i haven't got a spark off it yet!(I may be wrong:eek: )

If anyone wants some just come along to a meet and I'll get you some, hows that for Bribery ;)

(i had a call from damascus to say he wanted to come on the 6th but the B&^%£""£$%'s are making him work! he can hopefully come on one of the next few meets, and he has a rather nice new toy!, but I'll let him tell you about it! lucky chap!)

a Little pressie from uncle richy!:D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
10am is good by me. Shall we meet in the main carpark by the covered notice board?
I wouldn't mind a bit of that iron pyrites to play with.
The bow certainly isn't going to be a masterpiece, hopefully just a successful attempt to get a bow out of marginal timber.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
10am is good by me. Shall we meet in the main carpark by the covered notice board?
Sounds good, it's a date, I remember the spot from last time.

about the iron pyrites, (well i think it is), it looks like a brown rusty stone,(not the "fools gold" type) I've cut into it with a grinder disk and it appears to be a form of dull grey metal like iron/steel.

i Haven't got a spark from a flint with it but some came of it whilst being cut, I don't know if you remember but there's a Ray mears TV episode where he uses Iron pyrites and has massive problems getting sparks, this is what makes me think it might be the same stuff.

I'll bring some along anyway for you to have.

Just had a PM from BorderReiver saying he can't make the meet coming but he's keeping his eye out for the dates coming up, we hope to meet you soon!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:cool: It's snowing like mad here in New Costessey, and pretty windy, hopefully it'll warm up a little by Friday,
i spoke to Globetrotter today he say's he has alot on this week so he may not be available Friday but he'll contact me if he can get away.

be thinking of me, i have a meeting concerning possible Bushcraft work coming up!
rich

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D YAY i found some Fomes fomentarius (hoof /Tinder fungi) today! looked for about 2 hours and found two pieces very wet too loads of drying needed!:(
I didn't see any more though, also saw a Fox and green woodpecker.

looking forward to friday!!:D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup,
Rare is the word they use.....but it might not be the case!
I asked on the main forum where to find them and BorderReiver (from Kings Lynn area) answered saying his local woods are full of them, and he's a local chappie too!

prehaps a meet up his neck of the woods soon?;)

and there was a Bushcraft "expert" at High Kelling heath caravan site and he got his from those woods! apparently plenty there too!

so it may just be a myth that they just grow up north!:D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Glad that you found some Rich.:D

There is a lot of it about but it seems to occur in "patches". You can look for ages in a wood and see nowt, then suddenly you can't move for the things.:rolleyes:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi good to hear from you again!
I've got a better idea what sort of conditions to look for now!

I've been looking at the weather and "They" reckon it might be bad later in the week, loets hope not!

Oh and guy's keep some fingers crossed for me on Thursday, I have a meeting with the council about running Bushcraft displays for them this year!:D :D :D

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Hi, I've been tracking this thread on and off - with the intention of asking if I may join you all at some point - Being based in Cambridgeshire I've been waiting for either a bimble in the Dunwich area (the folks heve settled in Westleton), or a weekend meet where-ever to justify the mileage. Yes I know I missed one only a couple of week ago - it managed to slip right past me without me even noticing - the language was a little colourful when I did notice...:cussing:

So, anway I've been lurking... biding my time... But I just can't contain myself! Horseshoe fungus? down here? now that is verry cool. I've never seen any down south (and I've looked) I've spent quite a time in the lower highlands hunting the stuff with the intention of attempting to 'seed' a couple of trees down here to see if it would grow, and it already is! Have you ever found any round the Dunwich area?

Good luck Rappleby - that'll be awsome if it comes off - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi T1tch and cheers!:D

There are alot of "lurkers", everyone on the BCUK forum has to have been one at some point to find the threads.

Though It is called "Norfolk and Norwich group", we do try to go to different areas around Norfolk (and over the border) to allow everyone to get involved, I know of a few chaps around your area prehaps you could "car-pool/share"?

We are planning to meet in the Thetford area soon if you can make it that far.
also towards Kingslynn way , and Dunwich was great we'll go there again too!

Kev-b would know about Hoof fungi in dunwich, theres a wide variety of woodland there so it's possible!

what sort of stuff are you into, Bushcraft wise?

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
Kev-b would know about Hoof fungi in dunwich, theres a wide variety of woodland there so it's possible!

what sort of stuff are you into, Bushcraft wise?

Cool I'll drop him a line - see what the craic is

Hmmm... What sort of Bushcraft am I into... All sorts :D shelter, fire, food, crafts, cordage, flaura and fauna... have I missed anything? I don't get to overnight to often, but many a day is spent bimbling about in the local woodland.

Oh and I have a serious addiction to gadgets :p

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Cool, come along I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself!

Just did my first Bow drill fire Video (to show my prospective bosses), and I might try to figure out how to link it to this thread, as i know there are a few people wanting to learn more about the "magic" skill!

anyone see the kids programme on today called "Gastronaughts", unbelieveable a programme dedicated to showing kids you can eat insects and bugs!
I quite liked the idea! They even had chocolate coated scorpions (stings still intact!)!

I've said it earlier on the thread, but i would like to try some bush tucker, i have loads of knowledge about edible plants but very little about edible bugs, i can't say i will enjoy it but i'd like to give it a go.

(starting to feel nervous about tomorrow now! :eek: :deal: )
cheers
Rich

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Good luck tomorrow Rich. I'm looking forward to Friday. Hopefully the weather will co-operate.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D :D :D :D :D :D
yyyeeeeeessss! i got the gig!

this means i'll be teaching/displaying bushcraft this summer for the council!

a BIG thanks to Damascus for the Cadet work Reference!

aparently it gets so busy I'll be issued.....a security guard!:eek:

(I'd better get practicing! ;) )

don't forget guy's we're meeting tomorrow at Bacton woods in the carpark near the info sign 10 am! all are welcome! if you want a lift you need to tell us!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Congrats mate! The weather isn't looking too promising for the 'morrow but I'll be there unless it's blowing a complete blizzard.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Have a good time at Bacton tomorrow guys.Ive gotta work..never mind!Ill keep looking in on the thread anyway.Oh and congratulations on the bushcraft instructor thing,you must be well chuffed!!Laters..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE