Norfolk and Norwich Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Just to make it more confusing, I grew up in Bacton and everyone there called it Witton Woods!

P

paintballvern

Hi rich thanks for the pm, I would love to have a meet up with you and some of the other guys/girls form the group in norwich count me in I got a lot of learning to do....

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Hi, glad you got the PM:D

welcome on board what sort of Bushcraft stuff are you into?

I do a bit of everything, have a bit of a thing for Bushcraft gear(most of us do:lmao: )
we are all learners when it comes to the big world of Bushcraft among us we have hunters, skilled craftsmen, and just poeple that like new Bushcraft toys!

we'd love to meet you, where are you from (please no exact details) I'm A self employed Gardener from New Costessey a few of us Live in Norwich city some live on the coast, and a few pop over the border to see us.

(oh and i don't look like Mr T, i keep meaning to change my picture ;) )

P

paintballvern

Hi I live in Thetford and I also do a bit of p/time gardening on top of my main job, always had an interest in outdoor hobbies, I dont have any real practical experience of any bushcraft apart from watching grillis/mears on the box, just ordered a clipper off the bay, seems that's a good starting place, dont realy know what I'll need (bushcraft toys) for a meet with you guys
But I look forward to meeting you all if anyone needs a lift let me know...

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:D Cool!

sounds like you'll get on with us just fine! thanks for the offer of a lift! there are a few From our group from Thetford way, (Jay Jay, Leon-B).

as for what kit to get....shiney is good!:lmao:

I have a mixture of new/old Military kit, outdoor/lightweight plus ancient technology.
but pretty much anything goes, or just bring yourself!

There is a scout campsite at two mile bottom I've used down your way with BCUK before,
good site, open fires, hammocks tarps whatever, plus i think even showers now! and also quite cheap(only a few quid per night)!

Prehaps we could come and meet you down there soon!

I know of some nice areas.

P

paintballvern

Sounds like a great idea to me, when and where...........

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
If we go on a "first come, first serve" sort of system,

could we meet up at Bacton woods first, and Thetford way 2nd?

We may have some more Newbies by the Thetford meet which obviously is a much bigger place to explore.

an idea came up When i was with Kev-b, and Globetrotter something we used to do as scouts:
a "straight line hike" it's a fairly simple and self explained.

you choose a fairly large area like a few miles across and draw a random line across your map, you then follow the line as closely as possible across obstacles to the end.

obviously something you'd have to prepare for, with possible stream/river crossings (optional if you are non-swimmer), and yes you'd probably get wet and muddy but it's a great test of map reading and initiative (could we make a kit raft?) when you've done it a great sense of achievement:D .
I'm not sure scouts do this sort of thing anymore (imagine the paperwork:Wow: ) but amongst us are quite a few young at heart (including me!) and it would be a great Ice breaker!

(I should point out several of us have suitable qualifications i have Mountain Leader training and amongst us we have first aiders Scout/Cadet leaders, ex forces. we'd be ok!)

Prehaps a little cold to do this time of year, but what d'you think?:cool:

P

paintballvern

Any news about the meet up rich, anything sorted yet............

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Yup sure, due to weather being changable at present over-nighters are a bit risky but day time meets should be good.

how about a friday meet for all those working weekends:

Friday 6th feb
or
Friday 20th feb

and a Saturday or Sunday meet

Saturday 21st / Sunday 22nd
or
Saturday 27th / Sunday28th

Post back your best options:D

and any subjects you'd like covered,

Cheers
Rich

P

paintballvern

I can manage any of those days, so I'll fit in with the majority.

Thanks
Vern.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I can do the 6th of Feb. How about making it at Bacton Wood? It's usually pretty quiet there during the week.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
Cool Lord lurcher, snufkin!,paintballvern, and myself so far!:D

I'll try to remember to bring some interesting bits too.

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolleyes: rain!
lets hope it doesn't get too wet on the 6th!

just made myself a new crusader cup lid from an old alloy saucepan, I'll try a few drain holes in one side and perhaps a leather loop handle, my last one has a metal loop which rattles alot.

I've now fixed a load of cords to my parachute so it should be easy to fix up for a huge group shelter.

Oh and thanks to Lord Lurcher for my new (new to me) knife:You_Rock_ hope you like my billies swap!

anyone else up to stuff?

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I was hoping to fire up the forge yesterday but the weather wasn't co-operating. I've a sinew backed takedown bow in the works. The sinew is still drying. I might bring it along to the Friday meet for people to look at if it's dry enough.

Not sure if there is a big enough open area to set up your 'chute.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE