Noob foray onto stock removal knifemaking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
You have done those very well TG. You may find that having a taper on the rear end of the handle makes life more awkward than it needs to be but if you do, you can always make another. The Landrover baccy tin is interesting too.:)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Not looking bad at all lass. As BwB says above, a taper at the rear of the handle is inversely proportional to the contours of the hand. Makes them more uncomfortable when you are trying to grip them.
Good job though for a first time. :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
...As BwB says above, a taper at the rear of the handle is inversely proportional to the contours of the hand. Makes them more uncomfortable when you are trying to grip them....
I hadn't considered that- I'm in a chicken before the egg situation where I don't use these type of knives so don't know how to design them, I'm on that learning ladder now tho so your points are very gratefully recieved :)

The baccy tin is reversed formed and stippled onto thin brass then polyfilla'd to bring level. PVA/epxy/ W.H.Y onto the lid, a traveller freind made it for me years ago in trade- it needs rebuilding every 10yr or so, just like the landy really! That's having a 15yr long '6 month rebuild' C/O HWMBO :( :( but Bikers doing me a 'Betty' drawing so I can put it over the fireplace and she'll gently nudge him for me every time he looks at her ;)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Got the necker sheath made up this morning in prep for an afternoon sanding at the pub- can't believe I stuffed the chuck into the leather, what a noob with booo.... no, I can't go there, can I.... ;)
574841_3603046949268_1066438695_3228661_1281980744_n.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one Sal, so much better than my first efforts! Cool little sheaths there, the colour is nice and the Nowill mark turned out great. Bet you learned loads from doing these, no amount of advice replaces what you learn from actually doing it. The next ones will be absolutely amazing I'll bet, what's next then?

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Those look great sal, very impressed, just keep at it sweet, and if you need any advice please don't hesitate to ask.
Take care.
Lee.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thank you, guys! Got a bee in my bonnet now and a trail hawk and billhook sheath to make... and one for the mocotaughan ;) I really appreciate your offer of advice, Lee, but I don't want to add to your workload.... we want to see you at meets more and if you have a noob bothering you with questions on pm every day, it'd hold you back- ask Chad, I'm a PIA!!!! :)

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hey....great effort....and an interesting thread....i've handled a few but not yet made my own blade....can imagine how stressful it is lol! richardw recently sent me a piece of 01 which i keep stroking every now and then but as yet have not had the minerals to start on. well done!

a

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
richardw recently sent me a piece of 01 which i keep stroking every now and then but as yet have not had the minerals to start on.
I bought myself a piece of damascus to lovingly oil while I learn sufficient to let myself loose on it... it's a promise to myself that I can use it one day but tbh, it's been left in the greaseproof for a coupla weeks now I have the excuse to oil and pamper my recently born steel twin babies here!

Thank you very much for the encouragement, guys, I'm really enjoying getting back to the steel running in my bloodline :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I've really enjoyed it, Hoodoo :) I feel I've done my ancestors proud and their approval too, can't wait to sharpen and use them but the hides are doing a time takeover with this lovely weather we're having here!

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Sally what can i say? youve tasked yourself and once again your skill level has risen a few notches. great work and talkthrough. i think you can discard that 'newbie' tag. :D

steve

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Not quite...its a fastener like on this Sam Brown belt at the waist- an upright rivet with ball top which is designed to locate in a punched hole in the leather, rather than a 'snap' fastener :) Thank you for taking the time to advise me, HillBill, I'm not conversant in LeatherSpeak yet so can't find a terminology to google even ;)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Not quite...its a fastener like on this Sam Brown belt at the waist- an upright rivet with ball top which is designed to locate in a punched hole in the leather, rather than a 'snap' fastener :) Thank you for taking the time to advise me, HillBill, I'm not conversant in LeatherSpeak yet so can't find a terminology to google even ;)

So close - It's called a Sam Brown Stud.... ebay is your friend!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...+rivets&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE