Non-metric bolts needed, please!

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
My mother recently got something she wanted to have for a very long time, but could never afford, a (second hand) wooden couch for her garden
1352009005.jpg

After more than ten years of being heavily neglected, it was black from dirt, with parts missing, bolts bent or lost and wobbly everywhere.
I had to clean it with a steam blaster. Oiling it will be easy, too. I will use the same mixture as on my knive handles and the wood will turn out beautifully.
But the lost and bent bolts will be a problem.
They are part of a U-shaped wooden structure which forms a prop to raise the rear part of the couch.
It being of british origin has, of course, bolts with non-metric threads.
I think, you call them "shoulder-screws"?
1352009002.jpg

1352009003.jpg

Thats what I measured:
The thread-gauge (Whitworth 550 on the handle of the set) which will fit reads 26G.
Diameter of the non-threaded part is 6.1mm, total lenght of the shaft is 42, of which 16mm is not threaded.
Basically, what I need are any two bolts with this thread.
At least as long as the original, I can cut it down myself, but would need a nut to realign the thread after cutting..
Whether the shaft has any non-threaded part is not that important, I could wrap it up with tin where the wood rotates around the originally non-threaded part.
SS or brass preferred but I take anything.
So maybe any of you has some bolts which I can use?
I will gladly pay what is necessary to be able to restore this couch.
Thank you.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Appears to be 1/4" BSF (British Standard Fine - a Whitworth form thread).

Are you not in the U.K.?

I _may_ have a die somewhere I can let you have, so you can make your own - would that be any good?

Jim

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
My mother recently got something she wanted to have for a very long time, but could never afford, a (second hand) wooden couch for her garden
1352009005.jpg

After more than ten years of being heavily neglected, it was black from dirt, with parts missing, bolts bent or lost and wobbly everywhere.
I had to clean it with a steam blaster. Oiling it will be easy, too. I will use the same mixture as on my knive handles and the wood will turn out beautifully.
But the lost and bent bolts will be a problem.
They are part of a U-shaped wooden structure which forms a prop to raise the rear part of the couch.
It being of british origin has, of course, bolts with non-metric threads.
I think, you call them "shoulder-screws"?
Thats what I measured:
The thread-gauge (Whitworth 550 on the handle of the set) which will fit reads 26G.
Diameter of the non-threaded part is 6.1mm, total lenght of the shaft is 42, of which 16mm is not threaded.
Basically, what I need are any two bolts with this thread.
At least as long as the original, I can cut it down myself, but would need a nut to realign the thread after cutting..
Whether the shaft has any non-threaded part is not that important, I could wrap it up with tin where the wood rotates around the originally non-threaded part.
SS or brass preferred but I take anything.
So maybe any of you has some bolts which I can use?
I will gladly pay what is necessary to be able to restore this couch.
Thank you.
that's 9/32 BSF or 7.14mm (drill size 5.8mm) 26 teeth per inch Not easy to find, as they are 55° angle pitch on the thread

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
never said there was got a couple of Nortons a BSA M20 and a Franny B in the garage covered in em

I don't think they would have been BSF or BSW originally. Motor cycles were always BSCy (British Standard Cycle), which was also a Whitworth form but 26 tpi whatever the diameter. In the case of 1/4 BSF it is the same as 1/4 BSCy. Mind you, I'm drawing on knowledge acquired during my apprenticeship <mumble><mumble> years ago!

Jim

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Oetzi,
You could try here,
http://www.billstoolstore.co.uk/
They've never let me down in all the years I've been after stuff and they're mucho cheapo. If you can't find them online I'd recomend giving them a call and they should post out, failing that I can get a mate of mine to pick you some out and I'll post them to you. They're also pretty good for EX military tools and boxes.
Hope you find 'em soon,
Goatboy.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have a 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750cc. All the nuts and bolts on it are SAE. (SAE stands for Society of Automotive Engineers, and they were the ones that standardized the threads used in the auto industry many years ago, here in the U.S.) I have often wondered if this was on export to U.S. bikes only or were theses also sold in the U.K. as well. All the earlier Brit bikes were Whitworth - - and cussed unmercifully because of it.

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
mind you you still send people into space in ft n Inches :eek:

I thought we were supposed to go metric back in 1975, I guess we did not want to leave Liberia and Burma out in the cold. You would think the loss of a $327,600,000.00 spacecraft/mission would be motivation enough. NASA is finally promising to go metric, but only on the Moon:headbang: Lunar Bushcraft Baby!:headbang:
http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2007/08jan_metricmoon.htm

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Thank you for the input!
The couch is about 12 years old, so maybe its all metric.
The previous owner told me that she had tried to replace the bolts, but couldnt find any because of the non metric thread.I will check on this first and then maybe try to order in the UK.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE