Non-leather sheath material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hi,

I've been thinking about making a sheath for my mora, as I don't like the plastic one that comes with it, however I don't want to make one from leather.

Anyone know a good non-leather sheath material?

Cheers,
Dan

Hi Dan,

I read a post a while back where a guy cut the top part from his mora sheath - and then sewed that into a sheath he made from seatbelt he got from a scrappy!
Sounded really simple but hard-wearing. I did a quick search but couldn't come up with much!

Hope this helps.

Neil

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Cordura works well, reinforced with plastic inserts (the sides from a large ice cream container) and protect the mouth of the sheath with rivets. I have used this method several times and it works very well.
Neil

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Cheers peoples, I'll have a look into these ideas. :)

Neil1 said:
Cordura works well, reinforced with plastic inserts (the sides from a large ice cream container) and protect the mouth of the sheath with rivets. I have used this method several times and it works very well.

I'd be interested to see a pic of a sheath like this if you have one??

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've got two very large pieces (15'x15') of balistic nylon. It's ideal for toolbags, chisel covers, sheaths and gun bags. I got it for free so you can have a chunk if you want.

Eric

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Eric_Methven said:
I've got two very large pieces (15'x15') of balistic nylon. It's ideal for toolbags, chisel covers, sheaths and gun bags. I got it for free so you can have a chunk if you want.

Eric

Cheers! :D You've got a PM mate!

Dan

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I'm just about to make a first knife, using a little 63mm lauri carbon PT blade, and will need to make a sheath for it. Have any of you guys heard of using bamboo? I think a wooden sheath would involve too much craftmanship for me :), but I though that I might be able to steam a piece of bamboo and squash it flat to make a sheath-shape. I can't get access to decent leather or the ability to work it ;) , and I'd prefer something woody.

Any tips?

K

K9_75

If you want to use natural materials to make a sheath you can make one of wood or birch bark.
Info on how to make one in wood can be found in Bo Bergmans books (essentially two hollowed out pieces put together) and info one the birch bark model can be found here:Tutorial (Swedish) and a picture of a finished one here: Pics
They are in Swedish so try fx babelfish for a translation.
Cheers
K9

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE