Non Bushy...boats....health warning!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
This thread could seriously bore anyone not interested in boats, sailing or the sea. Beyond this point severe bouts of yawning and sleepiness may be experienced..you have been warned...

To those who asked about my old boat, she was a 35 foot steel gaff cutter of about 12 tons, designed by the famous yacht designer from the 1950-60's, Robert Tucker.
He designed many classic yachts most of which were capable of being built by amateurs in marine ply, steel or ferrocement

I bought the plans from him and a Sussex boat builder renowned for building fine steel fishing vessels welded her hull for me. I painted her ( 5 coats marine epoxy) inside and out, fitted her out building the lockers, galley etc: I rigged her, prior to joining the services I had been a ship's bosun so was merely practising my old trade, which saved a great deal of money. I retired in 1999 and having sold the house I moved aboard.

I made 2 voyages to the Mediterranean each of 2 years plus, wintering in Spain, Sicily, Greece and Malta.
embassy001.jpg
This photo was taken somewhere in the Greek Islands, the Cyclades. I usually anchor in isolated places, take my tent and gear and have a wander, often bivvying out on the beach in sight of my boat after a yomp round the mountains.:D

In 2006 I sailed from Falmouth to Portugal. The voyage had an interesting start! My plastic diesel tank split and put 50 gallons into the bilge as I enterd Brixham Harbour en route to Falmouth. 5 days later I had fitted a new tank and no longer smelled like an oily rag..:D
2006_1024annie0001.jpg
2006_1024annie0004.jpg

2006_1024annie0005.jpg
This was taken in one of the many anchorages along the Portugese Algarve after a rather grey voyage down, with a force 9 battering thrown in for good measure when off Cape Finisterre.

In September 2006 I sailed from Portugal down to Lanzarotte in the Canary Islands to await the end of the Hurricane season (Roughly July--end of October) that is changing and seems to be getting later over the years. The next photo is about reality! I awoke to see this moored opposite. 47 desperate people had tried to cross the 100 miles or so of open Atlantic from the West Coast of Africa in this, a converted skip. There were 22 aboard when the Spanish Civil Guard patrol found them. Hot sun, dehydration and despair had accounted for the rest.
bushcraft1.jpg
My "winter" berth in the marina..
2006_1024annie0011.jpg
In January 2007 I sailed from the Canaries across the Atlantic to the French Island of Martinique and spent 3 months just wandering the islands, ending up in Puerto Rico. I'll add a few photos, although some have already been posted.
2007_0220Image0001.jpg
Leaving the Canaries, Gran Canaria through the heat haze.
2007_0220Image0014.jpg
Running hard down the Trade Wind.
2007_0220Image0012.jpg
West towards the sunset.
2007_0220Image0003.jpg
sometimes the days were grey and the big seas thunder up astern...and you feel small!!:D
2007_0302Image0013.jpg
Land Ho! 30 days and your legs feel wobbly when you step ashore...wonder if I can remember how to speak???:D
2007_0302Image0001.jpg
These people are "cruising" too but they inhabit a different world to me..
2007_0302Image0016.jpg
More "cruisers" from the USA visiting Puerto Rico, this is the port of San Juan.The yacht anchorage is right in the middle of the city!!

Home again now. Grand Daughter settled into her law degree at University, my new "old" boat. Easier to sail for a 65 year old, but a real ocean crosser. June will see me bound for Portugal to winter and then into the Med, East to Turkey and explore up into the Black Sea for a couple of years.
DSCF0193.jpg
DSCF0200.jpg

A long winded post, naff all to do with Bushcrafting, but the sense of being close to nature, of being self reliant, always learning something new and just stepping outside of the 21st Century for a while is about the same. wicca. :) sorry about the titles, you'll need to decipher them, I've yet to crack this pooter thingy...:D

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Wicca,
Great post and it looks like you have found your "home" in a nautical bushcraft style. Thanks for taking the time to put this together
ATB

Great post! :D

Oh, and you're now even further into my bad books for this further encouragement of my looming addiction. My girlfriend just gave me a pep talk on saving up for a boat too, maybe I'll share a jetty for a spell with you some day. :D

At Wicca's request, I've re-jigged his original post to make the layout a bit neater and the captions more closely relate to the right shots...

This thread could seriously bore anyone not interested in boats, sailing or the sea. Beyond this point severe bouts of yawning and sleepiness may be experienced..you have been warned...

To those who asked about my old boat, she was a 35 foot steel gaff cutter of about 12 tons, designed by the famous yacht designer from the 1950-60's, Robert Tucker.
He designed many classic yachts most of which were capable of being built by amateurs in marine ply, steel or ferrocement

I bought the plans from him and a Sussex boat builder renowned for building fine steel fishing vessels welded her hull for me. I painted her ( 5 coats marine epoxy) inside and out, fitted her out building the lockers, galley etc: I rigged her, prior to joining the services I had been a ship's bosun so was merely practising my old trade, which saved a great deal of money. I retired in 1999 and having sold the house I moved aboard.

I made 2 voyages to the Mediterranean each of 2 years plus, wintering in Spain, Sicily, Greece and Malta.

This photo was taken somewhere in the Greek Islands, the Cyclades. I usually anchor in isolated places, take my tent and gear and have a wander, often bivvying out on the beach in sight of my boat after a yomp round the mountains.:D
embassy001.jpg

In 2006 I sailed from Falmouth to Portugal. The voyage had an interesting start! My plastic diesel tank split and put 50 gallons into the bilge as I enterd Brixham Harbour en route to Falmouth. 5 days later I had fitted a new tank and no longer smelled like an oily rag..:D
2006_1024annie0001.jpg
2006_1024annie0004.jpg

This was taken in one of the many anchorages along the Portugese Algarve after a rather grey voyage down, with a force 9 battering thrown in for good measure when off Cape Finisterre.
2006_1024annie0005.jpg

In September 2006 I sailed from Portugal down to Lanzarotte in the Canary Islands to await the end of the Hurricane season (Roughly July--end of October) that is changing and seems to be getting later over the years. The next photo is about reality! I awoke to see this moored opposite. 47 desperate people had tried to cross the 100 miles or so of open Atlantic from the West Coast of Africa in this, a converted skip. There were 22 aboard when the Spanish Civil Guard patrol found them. Hot sun, dehydration and despair had accounted for the rest.
bushcraft1.jpg

My "winter" berth in the marina..
2006_1024annie0011.jpg

In January 2007 I sailed from the Canaries across the Atlantic to the French Island of Martinique and spent 3 months just wandering the islands, ending up in Puerto Rico. I'll add a few photos, although some have already been posted.

Leaving the Canaries, Gran Canaria through the heat haze.
2007_0220Image0001.jpg

Running hard down the Trade Wind.
2007_0220Image0014.jpg

West towards the sunset.
2007_0220Image0012.jpg

sometimes the days were grey and the big seas thunder up astern...and you feel small!!:D
2007_0220Image0003.jpg

Land Ho! 30 days and your legs feel wobbly when you step ashore...wonder if I can remember how to speak???:D
2007_0302Image0013.jpg

These people are "cruising" too but they inhabit a different world to me..
2007_0302Image0001.jpg

More "cruisers" from the USA visiting Puerto Rico, this is the port of San Juan.The yacht anchorage is right in the middle of the city!!
2007_0302Image0016.jpg

Home again now. Grand Daughter settled into her law degree at University, my new "old" boat. Easier to sail for a 65 year old, but a real ocean crosser. June will see me bound for Portugal to winter and then into the Med, East to Turkey and explore up into the Black Sea for a couple of years.
DSCF0193.jpg
DSCF0200.jpg

A long winded post, naff all to do with Bushcrafting, but the sense of being close to nature, of being self reliant, always learning something new and just stepping outside of the 21st Century for a while is about the same. wicca. :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Husky she's a 1977 Nicholson 32. Built like a tank but sails like a seagoing Cheetah! She's fast, but has a lovely smooth graceful motion in a rough sea...:)

I've just realised your old boat comes from the same designer as the one I'd like to get.

Well, the later Corribees made by Newbridge weren't quite the same as Tucker's clinker built orignal, but it's still basically the same.
In some ways I prefer the lines of his original, the superstructure is lovely, but I'm afraid I'm not after the high(er)-maintenance of a wooden boat. She's still lovely though - obviously Tucker was a man with good taste.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
:) Yes he was probably one of the last of the "old Breed" who designed boats that still had that hand made look to them rather than 'the white plastic out of mould' look of modern production boats. I had his catalogue, amazing really, anything from an 8 foot pram dinghy to a twin screw motor yacht. That Corribee is a lovely boat, but if you were headed North, where even the summer weather can be uncertain you may spend more time below. Then her lack of headroom would be very noticeable. There are many good alternatives though which won't break the bank. I've pm'd you with a rescue task...:lmao:

PM Returned.
I reckon we give it another shot or two, get the goods into the top post in the thread that way! :D
We might even teach an old (sea)dog some new tricks in the meantime. ;)

I'm having a look around at some of his other boats now, some really nice stuff.

I do wonder about the headroom. I think could cope with it for a reasonable amount of time, but I'm not sure "reasonable" extends to months at sea in cold, rough, perma-damp conditions!

The problem I have is the vast choice of boats of varying quality for prices not too far from the Corribee.
I wouldn't know where to start - the Corribee seems to be a known quantity, other ones seem less so (at least to me and my grand total knowledge about such things being "not much, really")

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Great post - enjoyed that. I've only been sailing once - on the father-in-law's twister 28. We had a great trip and the access you get to the hidden little beaches and islands (West coast of Scotland) can't be beaten, nor had any other way.

I'm just waiting for the boys to grow a little older and then hopefully we can all go and leave Mum and Granny in the spa! :D

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Not bored at all, wicca. I am one of those landlubbers you see staring at the exhibits in Falmouth's Maritime Museum - fascinated but clueless.

Everyone here knows that delicious self-sufficient feeling you get when you walk into wild country with a rucksack holding all you need for a few days. I guess you magnify that by a 100 and you have sailing.

I also admire the skills required to sail blue water. I often talk to solo sailors on amateur radio (there's an Amateur maritime net on 14.300 MHz and you hear them around that frequency) and it sometimes sounds a bit, umm intrepid.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Great post, not bored at all :D

I've labored along the Greek coasts and watched boats like yours thinking "that would be so much more sensible than walking".

Thanks for posting

:D

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Wicca.....That was some fair good postin's an' photies there matey....Makin' me quite jealous.:puppy_dog
I've got me eye on a couple o' dutch bardges fer liveaboard purposes...but moorin' prices have gone mental here......
I be likein' the photo o' the Five masted Clipper...the kind o' craft ye can only dream o' skipperin'.....Fantastic post fella....(doff tricorn).:You_Rock_

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I used to have a yacht, a Ballerina 2

They are the biggest money pit ever.

(aside children.)

(aside a house, come to think of it.)

But what fun!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
She really is very pretty you must be very proud !

Only sailed a few times my self as my brother is in the Navy, cant even tie a knot but luckily can sail lol.

Great post and thanks for the escape...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE