NON BUSHCRAFT- Internet explorer 7 users note

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
As an aside to ArkAngel’ss excellent post, I’d like to add that as ‘phishing’ scams are strictly speaking related to Internet banking, if you opt out of email notifications from those companies that you use for financial services, you can be certain that any emails that do arrive from those companies are fraudulent (99.9999999999999% certain :) ).

I never open an email from anyone I don’t know, I never open a spam email, and I never open an email from my bank or credit card company, and if I did, I certainly wouldn’t Click on a referring URL or an obfuscated URL in one of those emails. Following these simple rules has kept my network free of Viruses/Trojans etc.
The only occasions where I broke these rules were when I used to open the ‘419’ emails I used to get, simply because they were damned fun to read.

I certainly wouldn’t discourage anyone from downloading security updates for their software, but for those who find that an update causes inconvenient software conflicts/serious loss of performance on a machine, the simple types of rules that I’ve outlined above should keep anyone reasonably ‘safe’.

Also, I used to subscribe to various mailing lists, that were contributed to by System Administrators and very knowledgeable ‘hackers’ (‘hackers’ in the legitimate sense, and not those who gain unauthorised access to networks), and they reported just about as many vulnerabilities that could be exploited in all of the alternative Web Browsers to Internet Explorer, than those found in IE itself. One can make a Web Browser, or a computer totally safe from ‘Cracker’ exploits, but with the result that the software/machine is almost unusable.

I counsel, that reasonable precautions should be used by the computer user, and that unreasonable precautions should only be taken by those responsible for securing networks that fall under the Data Protection Act.

But this is just opinion you understand, and I’m not prescribing behaviour for others to follow.

Best regards,
Paul.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I work in IT and IE7 was a typical microshaft trick "release it for testing by punters saves paying people to do it" :aargh4:
This and other similar performance and stability issues have caused us nothing but hassle at work. I recently made the simple move from IEX to Mozilla Firefox and have never looked back :D All IE cookies/data is imported automaticaly upon install seamless ! Go forth and stick one to microshaft :swordfigh
Im not deluded and saying that Mr Gates is gonna feel it but it is slipping back to the people a litttttle bit at a time ;)

ps i dont work for mozilla etc etc :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE